Your reaction to FORE!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Reading the other thread got me thinking. Is shouting fore effective?

I mean have you ever dodged a ball, dived out of the way or put your hands up and ACTUALLY saved yourself from a ball that would of otherwise hit you?

Never seen that happen and wondered how useful shouting fore actually is. From what I see most people just kinda turn their face and pull their shoulders up.

Not saying dont shout but just wondered if it was actually affective!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I turn my back and put my arms on the top of my head. I will jump to cover if there is good cover immediately nearby and I sometimes jump behind a person standing close to me.

The worst thing to do is to look up to where the ball is coming from as you do not know how late the shout has come.

I have dodged a few times because I have heard a ball land either just after a shout or when there has been no shout and I have heard/ seen the ball land.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think if you just get the opportunity to cover your head and turn your back to the direction the shout comes from you're giving yourself the best chance of avoiding a serious injury. I've been hit 3 time and it does hurt!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I turn away from the shout, cover my head, crouch slightly and scrunch my eyes closed. How effective this is I don't know but the aim is to make sure any hit only bruises and doesn't do any major harm. So far so good.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have dodged one. It was from a guy in our group who hit a duck hook with an iron.

I was standing about 30 yards in front and way left. The ball shot off and came towards me. Luckily I was watching and dove out of the way.

If the shout comes and sounds like its for our direction then I normally just get into a ball and cry for help. Worked so far.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I got hit in the back before when an idiot teed off before we had even put our clubs away from hitting the second shot. Really hurt and back went into spasm and ruined the round (and there were words immediately after and int he 19th) and to be honest not sure had I heard FORE (and not 100% certain there was even a shout) I wouldn't have registered it with someone hitting from behind as it seemed obvious as a short hitter I couldn't be out of range from the tee.

These days if I think it is a warning to my group I tend to duck by my bag and trolley and cover my head with my arms. If I hit a wayward shout I tend to shout Fore left or Fore right so the groups ahead have an idea which way the ball is going

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had one whistle over my head (quite literally) and had I not ducked down and scrunched up a bit on hearing the shout I would definitely have been hit full-toss by a drive at about a distance of 150 yards. So although minimising your size or ducking behind a tree isn't exactly as safe as a suit of armour, taking evasive action as best you can has to be a wise move.

To ignore a shout of fore is (IMO) simply increasing your chances of being hit.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I can't see the ball coming I just duck and cover - stick both arms over my head. If I know instantly where the ball is coming from, I might be able to see it in the air then I can just jog one way or the other to avoid it. But even then I'm probably still going to protect my head.

I've only been hit by the ball once, but it was on my thigh, I think it may have bounced beforehand because it didn't hurt at all. It just caught me by surprise, there had been no shout or anything.

The other week I heard a shout, looked round and the ball missed my face by about 18 inches! The shout was a bit late for me to have reacted in time really.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never look for the ball, my eyes are too delicate to face a ball. I immediately crouch and try to minimise my heads chances of impact, and yes I have had a couple of balls hit the ground right next to me and had a PP hit on the temple stood next to me but that one had no shout or warning.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Turn away from were the shout comes from duck and cover my head, that's if people shout, a good few times a ball will land yards from me and no shout

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely worth shouting fore and people can turn away and cover their head.

If a ball hits you anywhere other than the head or face it is unlikely to do serious damage. Even if it breaks a bone, very likely you would have a full recovery within a matter of weeks.

A ball to the head or eye socket could cause lasting serious damage.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I tried to stop a rolling ball with my foot and it bounced up and hit my ankle bone on the inside of my foot, that was some extreme pain not as bad as when I went to hit my shoe with my wedge to remove sand from and missed hit the same bone 😀

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Usually turn away fron the shout hands over head and drop into a crouch, always drop behind my trolley as well if possible. Have been hit a couple of times, had a number of near misses with shouts and without. My best evasion was a full on Matrix Neo move, the ball was played from someone in my own group, came sideways at head height from less than 40 yards, no time for a shout, I literally arched backwards with the ball missing my head by centimetres as I fell to the floor.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well as most of you know I was knocked out by one on Monday ,no shout.
Usually I will turn my back ,crouch and cover my head as best I can.

After my incident Monday I am wondering if we should all be wearing some sort of bump cap ,I certainly will be in the future.
This proves to me the thread on the pros not shouting , but by the sound of it a lot of ams don’t shout either ,that’s poor and could cost someone their life.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Usually turn away fron the shout hands over head and drop into a crouch, always drop behind my trolley as well if possible. Have been hit a couple of times, had a number of near misses with shouts and without. My best evasion was a full on Matrix Neo move, the ball was played from someone in my own group, came sideways at head height from less than 40 yards, no time for a shout, I literally arched backwards with the ball missing my head by centimetres as I fell to the floor.
Do you have a target on you :eek:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I turn my back and put my arms on the top of my head. I will jump to cover if there is good cover immediately nearby and I sometimes jump behind a person standing close to me.

The worst thing to do is to look up to where the ball is coming from as you do not know how late the shout has come.

I have dodged a few times because I have heard a ball land either just after a shout or when there has been no shout and I have heard/ seen the ball land.

^^^^^ this, I was playing against a guy who got hit on the head full tilt from a moron behind us who did not shout fore, so if I hear a shout I duck, over the years have had a few land pretty close by.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I had similar a few weeks back at a pairs open. Guy hit a stone cold shank out of a bunker, it cleared the lip and came at me like a missile. I didn’t see it until late and managed to drop to the floor very quickly.

Haven’t moved that sharp in a long time!

The distance between us was so small that he couldn’t register a shout before the ball had whistled past me

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had similar a few weeks back at a pairs open. Guy hit a stone cold shank out of a bunker, it cleared the lip and came at me like a missile. I didn’t see it until late and managed to drop to the floor very quickly.

Haven’t moved that sharp in a long time!

The distance between us was so small that he couldn’t register a shout before the ball had whistled past me
We will have to rethink where we stand .
I try not to get ahead of anybody ,especially if they are prone to a S