Your reaction to FORE!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haha. It was greenside...and I was the other side of the green to him! Was a fairly remarkable shot otherwise.
Greenside is the most likely place for a shank as we open the face it’s always on the cards.
Plus you usually have no idea where it’s gone..
Just saying the word fills me with dread.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think the intensity of the shout makes a huge difference to my reaction. If it's more than one voice and loud, then I am definitely taking action to protect myself. It helps enormously if you know the course too - you tend to know where the danger spots might be. Course design helps - at Wareham GC, if anybody shouts for on the first five holes, about 20 people dive for cover.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
If somebody tee's off and yells four I tend to look up for the ball, 9/10 I can see the ball either fly towards, past or short of me and react accordingly. It's prevented me and other PP's being hit several times.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to turn in the direction of the shout stand fully straight, puff out chest and wait for it to hit me, just like Happy Gilmour with the ball pitching machine👍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If somebody tee's off and yells four I tend to look up for the ball, 9/10 I can see the ball either fly towards, past or short of me and react accordingly. It's prevented me and other PP's being hit several times.
If you don’t see the flight of the ball though you could lose an eye.
Looking for a ball is the worst thing you can do.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Turn away from the shout, duck, and cover the head. Only times a ball actually came close to be was when there was no shout. It was me doing the shouting when they walked up to find their ball.

Hearty Harry

Visit site
I was once almost hit by a ball because the player shouted...

“Fore LEFT...Sorry right.”

I heard the fore left shout and immediately thought the ball was not heading my way.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hide behind my trolley , have been hit on the side by someone who didn’t shout fore , you get the normal “didn’t see where it went “

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A "FORE" sees me turn away, crouch and cover my head.

I've been hit 4 times, twice on the head and been hospitalised overnight once. The last one saw a ride in the air ambulance. Not ducking, and the potential injury it can cause, is a little naive.

You make a good case. But also you need to invest in a helmet man!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interestingly the current procedure I observe on the course seems, by many, to be a shout of 'Fore' followed by either 'left' or 'right'.

This is wrong. To someone 200 hundred yards away from the shouter then a disembodied yell of 'Fore left or right' is pointless.

The shout always was and always should continue to be a simple but forceful 'FORE!!!' Thus eliminating the need to calculate where you think it's coming from and the further need to then attempt to decide whether you should take evasive action favouring either one side or another.

Hearing 'FORE!!' should simply mean take the relevant evasive action to minimise any potential personal injury of a ball coming toward you from any direction.

I.E. you should duck down as low as you can and cover your bonce ideally taking cover behind your trolley, a handy tree or the biggest and bulkiest player in you group.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

Whenever I hear fore I usually bow my head and cover with my arms.

It probably wont stop me getting hit but itll lessen the impact to my head.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interestingly the current procedure I observe on the course seems, by many, to be a shout of 'Fore' followed by either 'left' or 'right'.

This is wrong. To someone 200 hundred yards away from the shouter then a disembodied yell of 'Fore left or right' is pointless.

The shout always was and always should continue to be a simple but forceful 'FORE!!!' Thus eliminating the need to calculate where you think it's coming from and the further need to then attempt to decide whether you should take evasive action favouring either one side or another.

Hearing 'FORE!!' should simply mean take the relevant evasive action to minimise any potential personal injury of a ball coming toward you from any direction.

I.E. you should duck down as low as you can and cover your bonce ideally taking cover behind your trolley, a handy tree or the biggest and bulkiest player in you group.
I don't agree with that actually. If you know which direction the shout has come from, then the left or right is useful. Example, I know our 7th runs alongside our third (in opposite directions), so if I hear 'fore right' from the direction of the 3rd tee, I duck and cover, if it's fore left I realise I don't need to panic. And if you can't pinpoint where the shout came from then you simply ignore the right/left part and duck and cover anyway.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I think if you just get the opportunity to cover your head and turn your back to the direction the shout comes from you're giving yourself the best chance of avoiding a serious injury. I've been hit 3 time and it does hurt!

It must be effective. Many have said how they turn and duck and cover heads, something they would not have done had the shout not been made. Taking such action obviously lessens chances of serious injury.