Your Club's Course Rating & Slope Index

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure we're all interested to see how other courses compare, so if you have your details please share. :):)
I've also attached a Slope Table but as I don't know if these are Standardised items they maybe helpful but not absolutely accurate. Perhaps others can enlighten us :):)

WIKE Tee Ratings small.jpg

Attachments

• slopetables.pdf
    162.8 KB · Views: 312
D

Deleted member 16999

Did you get this the day the course was measured? If not, how long did you have to wait?

Seeing the above Patrick has posted, how much would your handicap change playing off the whites at his course?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
How do I find slope rating of my course?

Not all courses will have a slope rating and some might have one from years ago that isn't officially published.

Ultimately those with American handicaps will adapt their handicap on a course with a certain slope. The slope rating is supposed to determine how much harder a course is for an 18 handicapper to play, compared with a scratch golfer.

So for example, a course with a load of forced carries in front of tees or some real penal bunkering around the greens is going to have a high slope rating. This should give an 18 handicapper an extra shot or two on a scratch golfer, for whom the slope rating is not going to impact. Similarly an easy course where an 18 handicapper will find it easier to score will get fewer shots.

Most courses that are aiming at a few tourist dollars will have an official slope rating done for American visitors.

My understanding is that from 2020 all courses will need this. Whether this is being done by associations or clubs are having to pay for it themsleves... I'm not sure. It may be that this is a barrier to the new handicap system starting from next year.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that from 2020 all courses will need this. Whether this is being done by associations or clubs are having to pay for it themselves... I'm not sure. It may be that this is a barrier to the new handicap system starting from next year.
The England Counties are well on the way of having all courses rated by early 2020. The rating is done by County Rating Teams. There is no charge to clubs.
Courses in Scotland, Ireland and Wales (and England Ladies) have been using the USGA Rating System for years but many are being rerated. It is a requirement that all are done within a max of 10 years.
Courses are not yet being given their Slope Rating unless they specifically need it (for new card printing say). The Course Rating itself is the equivalent of the SSS and replaces it immediately. Slope will not be used until the new World Handicapping System comes into effect at the back end of 2020 in GB&I.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does anyone know the rationale for having the silly (it seems) definition of slope that needs to be divided by 113? Why not just include that in the definition of the slope from the beginning.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
113 is the figure that the USGA has determined to be the average figure.
But you will never have to use it (no one in the US does). Either use the calculator (plenty of apps) or the chart on the course.

But of course you would still have to multiply your index by the product of the slope/113

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Does anyone know the rationale for having the silly (it seems) definition of slope that needs to be divided by 113? Why not just include that in the definition of the slope from the beginning.

113 is the Slope of an 'Average Difficulty' course. Your Index would be your handicap on an average difficulty course (i.e of slope 113). To calculate your handicap on any course, you multiply your index by the ratio of the course slopes (Target Course Slope/Average Course Slope.... Target Slope/113).

Check out the entries in this link if you want further info. http://www.popeofslope.com/courserating/system.html

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
white (men) CR 72.4, SR 137, 6183 m
yellow(men) CR 71.9, SR 135, 6071 m
blue(men) CR 68, SR 122 (Par 71, one par5 plays as a par4), 5402 m
blue(women) CR 74.1, SR 131, 5402 m
red(women) CR 72.9, SR 127, 5229 m

except for the men off blue, all other tees are for a par 72

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
113 is the figure that the USGA has determined to be the average figure.
But you will never have to use it (no one in the US does). Either use the calculator (plenty of apps) or the chart on the course.

But of course you would still have to multiply your index by the product of the slope/113

and Foxholer too.

Thanks, the fact that you never have to use 113 is exactly what I am getting at :). It is clear how the calculations are done but the current definition of slope makes them seem more complicated than they need to be. If the USGA decided to fix the average 'slope' at 1 instead of 113 then the slopes we would have for courses on cards would be some numbers between ( 55/113) = 0.49 and 155/113=1.37 and the calculation would simply be

Course Handicap = Index x Slope Rating of Tee on Course

I know this makes not a jot of difference to the result but would I think make it much more understandable for those who can't be bothered thinking about it for 2 mins. Seems strange not to have gone down this route and I wondered if there was a reason I'm missing.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you get this the day the course was measured? If not, how long did you have to wait?

Seeing the above Patrick has posted, how much would your handicap change playing off the whites at his course?
I'd be +2 shots at Patrick's off the whites. Pretty much equates to the SSS as well.
Not sure how quickly the results were returned, Paul

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Par is not relevant re Course Rating and Slope.

More often than not the new CR will turn out to be the same as the old SSS. Very, very rarely does it vary by more than one stroke. Often a rounding difference or that the course has changed a bit since it was last rated for SSS (sometimes up to 10 years ago).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems strange not to have gone down this route and I wondered if there was a reason I'm missing.
Perhaps
1) the fact that this all goes back 30 years or so
2) All courses in the US & Canada place a notice board with the pre calculated table, near the tees or proshop
3) It's instantly available on the app today

So no one need to do any arithmetic any more.