Your Chipping Style

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi,

Imagine you are just 5 feet from the edge of the green, on a fairway lie... with no obstacles in front of you, and the pin is 60ft away on a flat screen... what is your chipping style / choice of club?

01 - PW
02 - SW
03 - LW
04 - bump and run an iron
05 - putter (remember the pin is 60ft from you)

I personally like to hit a low aggressive LW with a lot of check. (HC 9)

What is your chipping style... and please include your handicap... as I think it would be interesting to see if there is a trend.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

My first thought is to take an 8 iron and run it up there. If it's downhill and the fringe is fairly short I might be tempted to use the putter as well as it should just roll down nicely. If the grass under the ball is long I might be tempted to bump it with the pitching wedge. I would never use a lob wedge or even the sand really as that's a recipe for blading it 20 feet off the back. (Handicap is 20.)

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tested all different methods from using 6-8-10 method, just using 2 clubs (52 & 8 iron) to using all clubs in bag and I've decided most recently to do what you are doing which is using a 58 degree LW for all shots within 50 yards... I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom and almost every instructional video says use lowest lofted club to get ball rolling quickest which seems to make sense so much but I found when I done this I just didn't judge roll out very good, even with a lot of practice.

in the last 6 weeks I've just practiced using the one club, having 3 different ball positions, forward for high traj, middle for medium and back for low. I also feel I'm better at predicting where the ball will finish from where I am trying to land it.

I like the idea of trying to just get really good with one club and be confident with it. it might be an anomaly but my arccos stats on chipping have also improved since I have started using the one club too... Chipping handicap for last 6 rounds is 1.7 compared to about a 20 handicap prior.

My actual handicap is 14.1.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would normally go 9 iron bump and run, generally more predictable for me. But will sometimes go for a bit more loft and go with the 50 degree and fly it about half way there and roll out, but that is not always great for me and one I need to work on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm surprised how few are putting esp, there as there is no trouble in front of you and you are only feet from the edge of the green

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm surprised how few are putting esp, there as there is no trouble in front of you and you are only feet from the edge of the green

I would probably putt 25-33% of the time but only if the transition from fringe to green is smooth. I find landing the ball on the green makes it easier to judge the pace than putting from fringe to green. Playing a links makes that a bit more straightforward mind you.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I voted to putt not just because I'm so crap at chipping, but the described conditions suit a putt anyway IMHO.

"just 5 feet from the edge of the green, on a fairway lie... with no obstacles in front of you, and the pin is 60ft away on a flat green..."

Only 5 feet of fairway yet 55 feet of green, the putt will need to be firm and so the little bit of fairway will have little effect on the ball before it reaches the green as the ball won't even be rolling properly, in fact it'll probably be semi-airborne for most of the fairway section.
Flat green so no slopes nor obstacles that need to be taken out by chipping past them.

If it were 5 feet of fairway and 10 feet of green then the ball will be travelling much slower over the fairway and it would then have a far more variable effect on the outcome.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I voted to putt not just because I'm so crap at chipping, but the described conditions suit a putt anyway IMHO.

"just 5 feet from the edge of the green, on a fairway lie... with no obstacles in front of you, and the pin is 60ft away on a flat green..."

Only 5 feet of fairway yet 55 feet of green, the putt will need to be firm and so the little bit of fairway will have little effect on the ball before it reaches the green as the ball won't even be rolling properly, in fact it'll probably be semi-airborne for most of the fairway section.
Flat green so no slopes nor obstacles that need to be taken out by chipping past them.
I'm quite a good chipper, but would pretty much putt under that scenario 100% of the time

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

The OP didn't specify what the grass was like so I suspect we are all thinking of our own courses and making judgements from that. I play a on a parkland course and putting 5ft from the green would be silly as there would be too much grass to get through before the ball reached the green. You play on a links course so putting would be the more likely option. It was the one variable which was left open to interpretation.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The OP didn't specify what the grass was like so I suspect we are all thinking of our own courses and making judgements from that. I play a on a parkland course and putting 5ft from the green would be silly as there would be too much grass to get through before the ball reached the green. You play on a links course so putting would be the more likely option. It was the one variable which was left open to interpretation.
its does say Fairways lie though, but i suppose with you parkland boys that could be anything;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
its does say Fairways lie though, but i suppose with you parkland boys that could be anything;)

Then again I don't think I've played a hole on a links course where there was 65ft of level ground from anywhere 5ft off a green to the hole!

Which comes full circle to Lord T's observation.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lob it up high to 70 feet spin it back 5 feet and if it doesn’t drop I have an eyes closed tap in. Why make it hard rolling it across 40-50 feet. 💪🤣👍😜 11

Does that have a big left to right sidespin on it as well, Chris, to get to that back right pin? :p

Probably a 9 iron, 8 iron if not.

Open stance, keep the club as close to the floor for as long as possible. Dont be scared to go past the hole - some people think this is a mythical land like Narnia.

Hcap 5.

Last edited:

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does that have a big left to right sidespin on it as well, Chris, to get to that back right pin? :p

Probably a 9 iron, 8 iron if not.

Open stance, keep the club as close to the floor for as long as possible. Dont be scared to go past the hole - some people think this is a mythical land like Narnia.

Hcap 5.

Ouch that hurts :cry: