Ping G20 irons - real or counterfeit?

DH88

Visit site
Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on this. I recently purchased some used Ping G20 irons for what seemed like a good price compared to what I've seen elsewhere online. However, it wasn't until after I'd bought them that someone suggested I should be wary of them being genuine or not, something that didn't even cross my mind (naive, I know!).

I've had a look around various sites trying to find any info on what exactly I should be looking for but I'm still not 100% sure on what exactly it is I should be trying to identify. I've also tried going through the official Ping website but they say they can't identify whether a clubs are genuine or not from the serial number alone, instead I'd have to send the clubs to them (which sounds like a bit of a pain).

If anyone could be give any pointers whatsoever or what their opinion might be then it'd be massively appreciated. I've attached a few pictures of the 4-iron and 9-iron side-by-side for reference.

Many thanks!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AS Ping say the only way to be truly sure is to send them to Ping. Serial numbers can be copied.

The problem is if Ping deem them to be copies they will not send them back to you.

One of the things about some copies with some makes is that they are not strictly copies but the real thing that has exited the factory by the back door. A problem since manufacturing went China.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a set of i20s, those look authentic, the only thing missing seems to be the normal black Ferrels on the bottom of the shafts.

DH88

Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had no idea about Ping not sending them back if they deem them to be copies. I can see why but that would be frustrating seeing as I've only just bought them so I think I'll avoid that possibility and find my nearest Ping authorised pro shop.

That did cross my mind too SocketRocket but the majority of the images I've seen online of the G20s don't seem to have the ferrule either so I'm hoping that's the norm.

Again, thanks for the replies - it's much appreciated!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had no idea about Ping not sending them back if they deem them to be copies. I can see why but that would be frustrating seeing as I've only just bought them so I think I'll avoid that possibility and find my nearest Ping authorised pro shop.

That did cross my mind too SocketRocket but the majority of the images I've seen online of the G20s don't seem to have the ferrule either so I'm hoping that's the norm.

Again, thanks for the replies - it's much appreciated!
I'm pretty sure your 'Ping authorised Pro Shop' would likely suggest sending them to Ping also! So that might not be an ideal method.
All G20 images I've seen indicate G20 irons don't have ferrules, but those of I20s do have them.
It seems to me that whoever 'suggested I should be wary of them being genuine or not ', while likely good-intentioned, has actually done you something of a dis-service by creating doubt about their authenticity!
I'd suggest you simply play with them and ignore any possibility that they are anything but real! Price paid in the used market is no real indication of whether an item is genuine or not. The seller's history is a better indicator, if you need one, imo.

DH88

Visit site
I'm pretty sure your 'Ping authorised Pro Shop' would likely suggest sending them to Ping also! So that might not be an ideal method.
All G20 images I've seen indicate G20 irons don't have ferrules, but those of I20s do have them.
It seems to me that whoever 'suggested I should be wary of them being genuine or not ', while likely good-intentioned, has actually done you something of a dis-service by creating doubt about their authenticity!
I'd suggest you simply play with them and ignore any possibility that they are anything but real! Price paid in the used market is no real indication of whether an item is genuine or not. The seller's history is a better indicator, if you need one, imo.

I was thinking that, too - I wish he hadn't mentioned anything! I'll give them a try this week though and see how things go - thanks again for the advice, it's much appreciated!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My take is...
You've paid for them, fake or not.
If they're fake you won't be able to sell them for much at all.
Do they work?
Do you like them?
If the answer is Yes then use them and don't worry about it.
Down the line, when you need to replace them...thats the time to find out if they're real or not.
That way you'll lose less if they are fake.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, you're right, G20s don't have ferrules. I looked at my i20s that have them and assumed wrongly that all Pings did.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on this. I recently purchased some used Ping G20 irons for what seemed like a good price compared to what I've seen elsewhere online. However, it wasn't until after I'd bought them that someone suggested I should be wary of them being genuine or not, something that didn't even cross my mind (naive, I know!).

I've had a look around various sites trying to find any info on what exactly I should be looking for but I'm still not 100% sure on what exactly it is I should be trying to identify. I've also tried going through the official Ping website but they say they can't identify whether a clubs are genuine or not from the serial number alone, instead I'd have to send the clubs to them (which sounds like a bit of a pain).

If anyone could be give any pointers whatsoever or what their opinion might be then it'd be massively appreciated. I've attached a few pictures of the 4-iron and 9-iron side-by-side for reference.

Many thanks!

The one thing that would make me a bit suspicious is the colour blue used to infill 'Ping' on the hosel. Every picture I have seen the infill colour is black.

DH88

Visit site
My take is...
You've paid for them, fake or not.
If they're fake you won't be able to sell them for much at all.
Do they work?
Do you like them?
If the answer is Yes then use them and don't worry about it.
Down the line, when you need to replace them...thats the time to find out if they're real or not.
That way you'll lose less if they are fake.

Fair point, I guess I'll just suck it and see!

The one thing that would make me a bit suspicious is the colour blue used to infill 'Ping' on the hosel. Every picture I have seen the infill colour is black.

I didn't notice that before, good spot (although it's quite glaring now you've pointed it out!). I'm struggling to find any other pictures with a blue infill too so perhaps not the best of signs.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I purchased a set of Ping i15's brand new a few years ago, I know that they were genuine because I brought them from the 'pro shop at my club.
I always used to come up short on par 3's or approach shots, most of my long irons sliced badly, I used to thin and fat balls all over the place, and could take a divot out the size of a decent t-bone steak.
If you can do this with yours, I would put money on them being genuine.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Regarding the odd blue paint colour....it looks to me like all of the infills look like they've been newly/recently done...if you look at the fill on the bottom groove you can see that it spills over out of the groove...especially towards the toe end of the 9 iron. I reckon they've just been refilled and someone has decided to jazz then up a bit and used blue paint for the word Ping.

All of the paintwork is in excellent condition when you look at the relative condition of the rest of the club head. Wouldn't worry about the blue paint at all.

As others have said....hit them, if they perform as expected then don't worry about them.

DH88

Visit site
Regarding the odd blue paint colour....it looks to me like all of the infills look like they've been newly/recently done...if you look at the fill on the bottom groove you can see that it spills over out of the groove...especially towards the toe end of the 9 iron. I reckon they've just been refilled and someone has decided to jazz then up a bit and used blue paint for the word Ping.

All of the paintwork is in excellent condition when you look at the relative condition of the rest of the club head. Wouldn't worry about the blue paint at all.

As others have said....hit them, if they perform as expected then don't worry about them.

Thanks Nick, I did have someone else suggest that to me the other day too so I'm feeling a lot more confident about them now. Especially now I've tried them out too and they performed well (or at least well enough for me!) so I'm happy to stick with them now and see how it goes! Thanks for taking the time to reply though - it's much appreciated.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The paint job is a bit amateurish and not finished very well.
But a close look at the 4 iron suggests the grooves have been sharpened by horizontal lines extending across the face.
Also a wire brush or similar has put scratches in a direction a ball could not possibly do.
That might be the reason for the bottom groove needing a repaint.
So looks to me they have just been cleaned up to be sold.
But I would not say they look fake. In fact I would say they are really quite good for their age.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have i20's, and the painted bottom groove went ages ago, and the number stamping on the face was never painted from the word go. I would also agree they are been cleaned up to sell.