Your Chipping Style

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
During winter, chip and run all day.

During the summer, it would depend on when it arises. Chip and run always the safest option, but loft is fun.

Agreed, but only in a casual round. In a medal/comp then only if it's the 'right' shot.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Without looking at the video, from what i can remember of garys method from the session i went too the clubface is neutral to the target.
He doesnt like you standing open for a few reasons and would rather your stance be closed than open, so it can appear hooded if you are thinking stance line as opposed to target.

While there are many ways to chip, I would rather listen to the likes of Nicklaus, Seve, Faldo, Mickelson, Tiger, Mcilroy etc etc etc etc who ALL say open your stance.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
56* wedge with my own version of the "hinge and hold" style of Micklesons teachings, a couple of bounces and some check

oo7ml

Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies.

There's a clear trend that the lower HCs use a mid iron to bump and run, which is interesting, and something that I will personally consider.

As I said in the opening post, I hit an aggressive low spinning chip with a 60 LW, and I thought a few players would also choose the same approach, but obviously not :)

Recently I started opting for the same shot but with a 56 SW too.

The reason I like to use a LW or SW is because no matter what type of lie or position I am in around the green, I will always have the LW in my hand, which I can get comfortable with... but I might use a different shot with the LW depending on my situation... yet it's still always the same club that I can TRY and master :)

- open flat green with no obstacle in front
- over a bunker
- deep rough
- chipping downhill
- chipping up and over
- etc

Thanks for all of the replies, they are much appreciated.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
50° delofted wedge, hands in front, firm wrists. Would be disappointed to finish outside 3-4 feet (given a decent lie and 'normal' speed / slopes on green). Best part of my game by a long stretch. Move me back 10-20 yards and I'm nowhere near as proficient (note to self - needs attention!)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would be playing a 7 iron. As has been said, depending on the slope, look to carry a quarter to a third of the way there.

This has been a big weakness for me, and would previously been playing a 54. I knew this wasn’t right but enjoyed trying to play the shot. Had a lesson to get a better plan in my head and worked on the lower sweeping stroke.

Just a case of practicing the lower chip and run shots as still not executing well enough. Probably cost me 3 shots yesterday, although did hit a few nice chips the right distance.

H’cap 24, after 2 years off. Would hope to be down at 18 after a few more medals.

D

Deleted member 1147

If you can find it, I would recommend you watch the Danny Willett masterclass at the Close House British Masters.
He shows and explains what chip to hit and why.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies.

There's a clear trend that the lower HCs use a mid iron to bump and run, which is interesting, and something that I will personally consider.

As I said in the opening post, I hit an aggressive low spinning chip with a 60 LW, and I thought a few players would also choose the same approach, but obviously not :)

if you can play that shot and pull it off more often than not then it's the right play.
But it's a high tariff shot, very easy to get wrong.
Get it right and you have a tap in..get it wrong and you're 30 yards away....
Much bigger margin of error using a 7/8/9 makes it the %age shot for most.
For most people, your shot would look fantastic but mine(and most others) would get up and down more often.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
While there are many ways to chip, I would rather listen to the likes of Nicklaus, Seve, Faldo, Mickelson, Tiger, Mcilroy etc etc etc etc who ALL say open your stance.

He's just lining up his preferences to go along with what he's wanting to achieve which is square clubface (except when u r spinning it in to certain places), shallow angle of attack, in to square to in path, appropriate speed and contact.

I think he still teaches some england squads, if he's up in your area at woodhall he'd be worth chatting too.

My preference for myself (not neccesarily others) would be utleys methods but i got injured it got botched on and i cant play for toffee anymore.

I do think garys thoughts on standing tall, grip softness, minimising shaft lean, using the bounce can be quite useful.

I think modern balls suit the trajectory over spin approach (more donald or utley), these techniques are more forgiving and more achievable for the average golfer than the likes of shots woods, mickleson, els, mcilroy can play. They r talented, strong, fast, athletic and practice too.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would use the club that, with a 'putting stroke', would land the ball on the first 1m of the green then roll out to the pin...… best % shot I've found it to be.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure I would use the word style with my chipping.:cry:

I would always putt, unless in very thick or wet fringe grass when I would then use 20 hybrid. Before chipped yips I always used a 7 iron.

D

Deleted member 15344

All depends on what I have in front of me but i mainly play chips with either an 8 Iron or a 54 degree wedge. Use the 8 if I want to get the ball rolling on the green as quickly as possible and the area between the Ball and the green is pretty clear - use a 54 degree wedge for the rest or if the chip is over 50 feet

5 HC

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He's just lining up his preferences to go along with what he's wanting to achieve which is square clubface (except when u r spinning it in to certain places), shallow angle of attack, in to square to in path, appropriate speed and contact.

I think he still teaches some england squads, if he's up in your area at woodhall he'd be worth chatting too.

My preference for myself (not neccesarily others) would be utleys methods but i got injured it got botched on and i cant play for toffee anymore.

I do think garys thoughts on standing tall, grip softness, minimising shaft lean, using the bounce can be quite useful.

I think modern balls suit the trajectory over spin approach (more donald or utley), these techniques are more forgiving and more achievable for the average golfer than the likes of shots woods, mickleson, els, mcilroy can play. They r talented, strong, fast, athletic and practice too.
I think he's primarily based out of Sutton Green near Guildford these days but obviously does travel the UK and further. Not 100% certain he's involved in the England set up anymore but a world renowned coach, particularly for the short game. A lesson with him is excellent as his enthusiasm is infectious. The set up does take some getting useful but the method really utilises the bounce

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Chip and run with a7/8 iron,18h/c.

Remember good few years ago a old boy told me to keep it low and get it onto green asap. his theory was its the best % shot to take.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
8 iron, with hands well forward (hooding the club). Land on the green and let it run out.

I don't like trying to check the ball as you don't know if it will land on a firm bit and run too far, or check up too much and finish well short.

H'cap, 6

This for me, 8