Your Chipping Style

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends on grass in front of me.
On a very tightly mown links I would probably putt it.
If it was a "fluffier" parkland I would bump and run an iron.
No hcp

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
My own 'chipping style' is a textbook example of the perfect oxymoron.

It's another putter for me all day long from 5 feet but if there's something in the way I try an 8-iron bump and run with my eyes closed tight. If flying a bunker then I usually try a 60 degree lob wedge whilst gripping the living daylights out of the club, shaking, sweating and sobbing uncontrollably. :cry:

This exact scenario has been my fatal weakness for years but I've never done anything silly and gone and booked a lesson, you see I just know that some day I'll find the secret. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends entirely on the greens make-up......Its possible I would put if the fringe is short and if the green is flattish. If the green is more difficult it could be anything between my PW (Chip and run) my GW (most likely - looking to fly it 3/4 of the way) or SW (54) - looking to hit a low spinning chip, carrying most of the way, biting and running out a little.........I play various types of chips, with LW, SW and GW and what club and type of shot is entirely dictated by what is between me and the pin. Sadly no amount of describing can take into account all what lies in front of you in real life.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Straight forward to the hole and chip and run all day. Anything like a mound or bunker to fly and it's lie dependant
Linear method???
Does that advocate loft or getting it running ??
Re the OP. 20yrds. Gap wedge usually. The issue l have is strike dependant. Strike to well and it may check up too early. I’m trying to use more of a pw/9 iron with mixed results.

7 handicap

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Linear method???
Does that advocate loft or getting it running ??
Re the OP. 20yrds. Gap wedge usually. The issue l have is strike dependant. Strike to well and it may check up too early. I’m trying to use more of a pw/9 iron with mixed results.

7 handicap
Linear. The chipping method tends to give a running style so the ball will release. If necessary I can pitch it further and let it roll out

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
During winter, chip and run all day.

During the summer, it would depend on when it arises. Chip and run always the safest option, but loft is fun.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Linear. The chipping method tends to give a running style so the ball will release. If necessary I can pitch it further and let it roll out
roll out, I would say is what I struggle with. Does it advocate taking more club. Eg the shot in question. 9/8 iron 1/3 flight, 2/3 roll?

D

Deleted member 1147

Whenever I see anything to do with linear chipping, I always think it looks like the player is hooding the clubface.
Is that correct?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looks like they aim right & hit left!?!

What is actually happening if I’m seeing that?

Without looking at the video, from what i can remember of garys method from the session i went too the clubface is neutral to the target.
He doesnt like you standing open for a few reasons and would rather your stance be closed than open, so it can appear hooded if you are thinking stance line as opposed to target.