Your Chipping Style

oo7ml

Visit site
Hi,

Imagine you are just 5 feet from the edge of the green, on a fairway lie... with no obstacles in front of you, and the pin is 60ft away on a flat screen... what is your chipping style / choice of club?

01 - PW
02 - SW
03 - LW
04 - bump and run an iron
05 - putter (remember the pin is 60ft from you)

I personally like to hit a low aggressive LW with a lot of check. (HC 9)

What is your chipping style... and please include your handicap... as I think it would be interesting to see if there is a trend.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
8 iron, with hands well forward (hooding the club). Land on the green and let it run out.

I don't like trying to check the ball as you don't know if it will land on a firm bit and run too far, or check up too much and finish well short.

H'cap, 6

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
7 iron (but more like 10ft on our greens)

If there's no benefit in check I can't see (1) any point in adding another variable (2) any reason to increase my primary target distance.

(Except looking flash of course)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
9 iron, chip and run. 19 h/c.

I started on a links course and I also note that most tour pro's, when giving tips in the mag, state get the ball down asap in that situation. I'm happy to follow their advice.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
8 iron, bump & run. Until recently I have had a tendency to come up short of the hole, so have been braver on my last couple of outings with good success including a birdie on par 3 (5 yds off green, another 20 ft to hole)
HC: 23

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lob it up high to 70 feet spin it back 5 feet and if it doesn’t drop I have an eyes closed tap in. Why make it hard rolling it across 40-50 feet. 💪🤣👍😜 11

Last edited:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,

Imagine you are just 5 feet from the edge of the green, on a fairway lie... with no obstacles in front of you, and the pin is 60ft away on a flat screen... what is your chipping style / choice of club?

01 - PW
02 - SW
03 - LW
04 - bump and run an iron
05 - putter (remember the pin is 60ft from you)

I personally like to hit a low aggressive LW with a lot of check. (HC 9)

What is your chipping style... and please include your handicap... as I think it would be interesting to see if there is a trend.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Rule of 12
5 iron landing just beyond 2 foot on
1 part carry 7 parts roll
No handicap

Play different courses so prefer to use trajectory than spin to control distance as 1st bounce is very green and condition dependant which spin can exaggerate the effect of. Dont play enough to use 1 club and alter which i used to do.

Edit also prefer to use bounce so ball is forward, negligible shaft lean, shallow swing.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
50deg wedge every time. Ball in middle of stance. Weight forward, hands ahead of the clubhead, accelerate through the ball with a descending strike. Commit to the shot, don't quit on it. I am getting down in two from here.

Result - a zippy/spinny low chip that grabs and comes to a halt quickly.

Best part of my game. Just as well as I don't hit many GIR! Hc = 19.

If I was ON the green with 60 feet to go I would get closer with the wedge than the putter 9 times out of 10...

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Leather wedge when no one's looking then easy tap in. If I want a challenge then I'll use my left foot. :)

If people are looking, then 8 Iron, bump and run.
13 hc