Your best putting tips please

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So lots of posters on this forum say "it's all about the short game".

But then there are hardly ever any threads about putting technique? :confused:

I for one would love to have a few things to work on in my putting, as it is letting my game down.

So does anyone have some good putting tips they fancy sharing? Drills, swing thoughts, posture tips, grip, Practice aids ( :whistle: )... I am interested in hearing them all

Distance control in particular is my failing. Has anyone ever posted a video clip of their putting stroke before? I could be the first....

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Wrote this on another thread recently:

heres a book that has recently helped me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unconscious-...7678917&sr=8-1

I dont follow the books strategy word for word (but then again thats what he prescribes i.e. your own method).

My putting routine consists of the following steps:

1. Stand behind the ball and pick a line I think the ball will travel (i dont worry about being 100% precise at this point)
2. If its a putt of any reasonable length I move halfway between the ball and the hole on the low side. In my head I estimate the length of the putt and look to see how much it's uphill downhill etc. I estimate the length just for subconscious reasons, I dont believe in the pelz putting method of swing length determines distance.
3. From the low side i also look closely at the last 4-5 feet of the hole to look for expected impacts on my line.
4. I then walk behind the ball and pick my line again. This time I visualise the path of the ball more closely. I imagine it as a line on the ground.
5. Once I've picked my line I find a precise spot (blade of grass, discoloration of grass etc) in front of the ball that my ball will have to go over to set off on that line. I like this spot to be fairly close to the ball 1-3 inches away.
6. I set up over the ball, keeping my stance a little open (not by any fixed amount just what feels comfortable) and try to judge the weight I need to hit the shot. I completely ignore line here because I'm just concentrating on hitting the ball over my spot.
sometimes I take practice strokes and sometimes I dont. If i do im only concerned with pace (not mechanics). Practice strokes for me are good for practicing pace/length but they also can make me lose my spot or put doubt in my mind about length/pace. so I'm not sure how useful/destructive they are for me.
7. once i'm comfortable I hit the ball not worrying about whether or not I'm coming back square to square or on a curved path - i just hit over the spot with the weight i think is needed to get to the hole. When I start my stroke I'm not looking at the ball I just watch my spot throughout the stroke.

finally one thing along with this method that I changed to my putting method was my grip - I changed to a reverse overlapping grip.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
another little game I like to play on the putting green is a variation of the clock drill.

Start by putting 10 balls around a hole a putters length away from it. If you miss a ball that ball is out of the game. Once you've gone round the hole and attempted all 10 balls once whatever balls are left you then place around the hole at two putters length. Again any putts that are missed are out of the game. move out to three putters length and repeat. the furthest i've got is two goes at 4 putters length.

Brookesy

Head Pro
www.chippingsodburygolfclub.co.uk
All i think about is the length of the putt, i get a gist of the line. All you have to think about is how many times do you 3 putt from hitting the ball too far right or left of the hole? Not many compared to 3 putting from hitting it too short or too long. Mostly about the pace!

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Specific Q: has anyone read and benefited from Dave Pelz's Putting bible? I'm a sucker for a new golf book. I know his stuff goes into mind-boggling detail and analysis at times, but is it worth trying if you can persevere with it?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wrote this on another thread recently:

heres a book that has recently helped me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unconscious-...7678917&sr=8-1

I dont follow the books strategy word for word (but then again thats what he prescribes i.e. your own method).

My putting routine consists of the following steps:

1. Stand behind the ball and pick a line I think the ball will travel (i dont worry about being 100% precise at this point)
2. If its a putt of any reasonable length I move halfway between the ball and the hole on the low side. In my head I estimate the length of the putt and look to see how much it's uphill downhill etc. I estimate the length just for subconscious reasons, I dont believe in the pelz putting method of swing length determines distance.
3. From the low side i also look closely at the last 4-5 feet of the hole to look for expected impacts on my line.
4. I then walk behind the ball and pick my line again. This time I visualise the path of the ball more closely. I imagine it as a line on the ground.
5. Once I've picked my line I find a precise spot (blade of grass, discoloration of grass etc) in front of the ball that my ball will have to go over to set off on that line. I like this spot to be fairly close to the ball 1-3 inches away.
6. I set up over the ball, keeping my stance a little open (not by any fixed amount just what feels comfortable) and try to judge the weight I need to hit the shot. I completely ignore line here because I'm just concentrating on hitting the ball over my spot.
sometimes I take practice strokes and sometimes I dont. If i do im only concerned with pace (not mechanics). Practice strokes for me are good for practicing pace/length but they also can make me lose my spot or put doubt in my mind about length/pace. so I'm not sure how useful/destructive they are for me.
7. once i'm comfortable I hit the ball not worrying about whether or not I'm coming back square to square or on a curved path - i just hit over the spot with the weight i think is needed to get to the hole. When I start my stroke I'm not looking at the ball I just watch my spot throughout the stroke.

finally one thing along with this method that I changed to my putting method was my grip - I changed to a reverse overlapping grip.

Jeez, how long does that take!?

I pick a line, place the ball with the line pointing that way. Stand up to it. Hit it.

My own personal view with putting is the more you faff about looking and thinking the more muddled you are.

Trust your instinct, you'd be amazed how your brain works out how hard you need to hit it without having to think too much.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I pick a line, place the ball with the line pointing that way. Stand up to it. Hit it.

My own personal view with putting is the more you faff about looking and thinking the more muddled you are.

Trust your instinct, you'd be amazed how your brain works out how hard you need to hit it without having to think too much.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying there... But.... I am looking to make a transition from a 9 hcp to nearer 6 or 7. If I am honest, the short game is where I can make up most of that. I am a decent putter, but I want to be a really good putter, who makes a higher number of birdie chances.

I want to put in the work on the practice green, then on the course trust that work and, like you say, clear my mind of technique

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1) Get a custom fit putter
2) Hands and weight forward
3) Rock your shoulders
4) Keep still

Sounds like your not striking the putt consistantly out of the middle so 4) above is important.
I have alot of books on the subject and they havent helped! The custom fit (and of course a well known training aid) has transformed my putting (I am pleased to say).

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Holing out....... Select a straight putt. Knock 3 in from 3 feet, then 3 more, then 3 more then one to make 10.
Move to 4 feet and try to repeat, then 5 feet then 6 feet. Don't move up a distance point until you have holed all 10. Finish by going back to 3 feet and doing another 10. This routine builds pressure which is what your stroke has to overcome out on the course where you only get one chance. Whiy straight putts? Because until you can hole those you haven't a chance with breaking putts. Reading greens is just experience, there are no drills really but if you hit a straight putt left or right you know exactly what's gone wrong.

Mid range....... Practice 15-25 footers both straight and with break. You will leave a lot of these out on the course and you should NEVER three putt this distance. Practice them until you can leave them within 18 inches all the time.

Long putts...... Again just practice the pace. Set yourself challenges to (say) get 4 out of 5 down in two from 45-60 feet and just keep working at it.

An hour concentrated practice once a week or more will pay more dividends that a quick 10 mins before you go out.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, I had to didn't I?
The biggest problem I see is as you say the distance control.
There are often too many variables to keep control of.

The knees move,
the hips turn,
the shoulders rock/turn
and the wrists hit.
Long backswing
Short follow through
and so on.

I know I am biased but the "well known training aid" just keeps everything simple.
Keep the lower half quiet and let the shoulders do the work.
Then it's just a case of letting the length of backswing control how far the ball travels.
Short putt, short b/swing and so on.

As has been said before, its not the mis-read that causes the 3 putt, it's the lack of distance control that does it most of the time.
Good luck

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One for the practice green.

How to check your eyes are over the ball at address. Hold a second ball between finger and thumb and on the bridge of your nose. Release the ball and it should drop onto the ball you are addressing.

You'd be amazed at how many people think they're over the ball!!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
My putting tips.

First priority, I always try to get the ball past the hole. Time and time again I see poor putters coming up short. You will have lower scores if you start 3 putting from past the hole, rather than 3 putting from a short side. That way, the one that used to be short and on line will go in.

I practice putt with each ball from different distances, say three balls, one at 25 feet, the next at 15 feet, the next a 10 feet. I strongly believe doing this is more akin to what you find on the course. In other words you only get one shot. Putting with a few balls from the same place is easy and how many times do you miss a putt on the course to then bang it in before you leave the green, annoying isn’t it. You only get one go, so practice that.

I practice my short putts with no hole, just another ball as the hole. Small target makes the hole look massive. Just try putting one ball onto the other, like snooker. I also practice putting to miss either side of the target ball.

If your having trouble getting through ball…yes its amazing how many guys stop at the ball. Instead of looking at a spot on the ball, try looking at a blade of grass on the centre line in front of the ball. This will let you strike through the ball better. Personally, I leave a gap between the face of my putter and the back of the ball and focus on a blade of grass. The putting stroke is then coincidental as I only focus on that blade. This keeps my head as still as possible without my eye leaving the spot as the ball is struck. I keep my eye on that blade of grass well after the ball has gone. More putts are missed, miss hit, come up short because of our hurry to see where it’s going. Stay over it, stay still…stay cool.

I could go into it more, but I think that’s enough for now.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site

not that long! Stand behind the ball have a look, move to the low side have a look, move behind the ball pick a line and then hit it! It might seem long because I described it in a lot of detail. I actually believe in a more instinctive style of putting myself I just have a good look to let my brain absorb the info. I'd say my whole routine takes less than a minute with most of it done while the other player is playing

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with a lot of what you're saying there... But.... I am looking to make a transition from a 9 hcp to nearer 6 or 7. If I am honest, the short game is where I can make up most of that. I am a decent putter, but I want to be a really good putter, who makes a higher number of birdie chances.

I want to put in the work on the practice green, then on the course trust that work and, like you say, clear my mind of technique
Seems to me - as a 9-er - that it's getting the shot into the green closer that will allow that (I'm crap at that unfortunately!).

As for taking advantage of the opportunities, Rotella had a few drills - putting from 3, 6, 9ft with eyes closed (distance only not to a hole) and the practice regime of the spiral of balls to a hole.

Went to a Scottish Golf Show several years ago and met a putting coach (Shaun) who gave me a routine that works well. It's sort out the line from the ball (last few feet dominate but don't ignore the rest) set your line on ball (or label) at that line. Go behind the ball and swing to get your weight of swing right for the distance, then get over putt (and maybe another swing for weight) and not look at hole again - merely swinging along the line you have set. If you don't trust the line, then go back and reallign, but never adjust by looking at the hole. Reason is that view from 'over the putt' is quite different from behind the ball - and is wrong!

Pelz does make sense - eg the rubbish lid should start at the hole, no point leaving it short - but there's so much waffle in there that it's confusing. Does makes a great doorstop though!

Last edited:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Pelz does make sense - eg the rubbish lid should start at the hole, no point leaving it short - but there's so much waffle in there that it's confusing. Does makes a great doorstop though!

Have to agree I really didn't like pelz's book. I don't know how changing swing length to control distance can work with such a short stroke. Bob rotella's putting out of your mind is a pretty good read-all psychology as you can imagine and no technique in it. Can't recommend dave stockton's book enough enough though. My playing partner thought I'd been having secret putting lessons!!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
As I just said on another thread, buy the 'putting tutor', it's the only putting aid worth buying.

Personally I'd say more putts are missed because the person hasn't actually lined up properly than any other reason. Try lining yourself up then having someone who knows what they're talking about take a look from behind the putter

To be solid from distance you need to do simple drill like putting to tees 10,15 & 20ft away, that's all. It helps if you're playing greens that are a consistent speed and can at least see if a putt is uphill or downhill ;) If you're chopping and changing courses then lag putting can be exceptionally hard even for very good players.