Your 6 Iron swing speed & the shaft you play....

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting reading some replys , makes me realise i really do no nothing about golf equipment ,

i hit my MP32 6 iron (dynamic gold regular shafts) around 175ish/180ish on a calm day i guess , no idea of real carry.
ive no idea what so ever of my swing speed .. sometimes i hit it with a bit of fade/cut , sometimes i hit it with a draw, off the tee sometimes il tee it a bit higher /lower or use no tee at all ..

Can people sometimes get too hung up on swing speed /shaft etc , at our level is it that important or am i loosing out by not knowing this ?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting reading some replys , makes me realise i really do no nothing about golf equipment ,

i hit my MP32 6 iron (dynamic gold regular shafts) around 175ish/180ish on a calm day i guess , no idea of real carry.
ive no idea what so ever of my swing speed .. sometimes i hit it with a bit of fade/cut , sometimes i hit it with a draw, off the tee sometimes il tee it a bit higher /lower or use no tee at all ..

Can people sometimes get too hung up on swing speed /shaft etc , at our level is it that important or am i loosing out by not knowing this ?

Yes people get too hung up on it and no, you aren't missing out. I vaguely remember mine from my fitting but it's not something I think about unless these posts come along. I have a swing and clubs with which I hit the ball far enough and straight enough to enable me to play decent golf and I know I can still improve. My pro tuned my swing to my physical ability (flexibility etc) and I now just go and play. I am what I am, my swing is what it is, that's good enough for me.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I definitely think people get too hung up on numbers .I've heard quite a few people say they were getting better numbers on trackman with a certain club/shaft but opted for another option as it felt better.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh my, some swing speeds on here resemble forum driving distances :smirk:
No, there's plenty of 80+ & 90+ above and how "pray tell" would I know you were a Cat 1 golfer and who you play with, and what relevance does that have anyway? I'd take something for that paranoia if I were you...
Its just another excuse for a willy waving topic IMO :smirk:

maybe now the willies are waving, but when you first made your comment it wasn't the case that there were plenty of 90+'s- only a couple in fact, ergo it appeared you were directly having a go - 'some of the swing speeds on here...' - your words... of course i accept this was in tongue and cheek, but, a little silly given the stats you were scoffing at were nothing special - which is really what i was pointing out. i mean if luke donald swings it at 92mph with a 6, its hardly unlikely that some forrummers will be able to match that - no?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
91 average with a 6 iron, and I have KBS regular shafts in my R9 irons.
Driver is around 104 and I use a Project X 73C Stiff shaft it the Titleist 910 D2.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
maybe now the willies are waving, but when you first made your comment it wasn't the case that there were plenty of 90+'s- only a couple in fact, ergo it appeared you were directly having a go - 'some of the swing speeds on here...' - your words... of course i accept this was in tongue and cheek, but, a little silly given the stats you were scoffing at were nothing special - which is really what i was pointing out. i mean if luke donald swings it at 92mph with a 6, its hardly unlikely that some forrummers will be able to match that - no?

Plenty of 80+ & 90+ I said, if you are going to quote me then do so correctly and don't edit it to suit your own argument and paranoia.

Your boring now so goodbye ZZZzzzzZZZ

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
one can only conclude you were referring to the top end - and i don't see how its miss quoting when i quote you, then refer to the relevant part :rolleyes: anyway - given we're stuffing mushrooms, i'll just accept your tongue and cheek comment was directed at what was to follow and not what you had read up to that point - as you implied in your back tracking - and move swiftly on.

wow, that was boring.

D

Deleted Member 1156

One thing that is quite clear from some of these claimed numbers is quite a few people are playing with shafts totally unsuitable for their swing speeds :confused:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have not go a Scooby doo what my swing speed is for any club.
What I do know is how far I carry my 6 iron when I pure it.
Every other 6 iron is up to that distance.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good stuff. Traded up to some Titleist CB/MBs in December from the second hand mizuno mp32s I was using last year. Think they'll stay in the bag for a good while yet, though i'm not as in love with the new 3iron as with my previous iron sets which is more than a little disapointing - something to work on over the winter.

DjW

Medal Winner
Visit site
2013-09-06_1429.jpg

swing speed around 90, got s400 tour issues in at the moment. Also tried x100's and PX 6.0 which I didnt like as much.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
around 90-93 when got my fitting done for the mag last year but that was a 7 iron. got s300 shafts as they were recommended to give me more shot making options.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The reply that referred to flipping at the ball, therefore, upping clubhead speed, really emphasises how dark an art shaft fitting for clubs is. The actual number is totally irrelevant without the other factors such as release timing being taken into account. You can flip at the ball generating really high numbers but not transfer anywhere near as much energy to the ball as a correctly timed but slower tempo. Since I have slowed down my swing in tempo I have moved to a different shaft makeup of stiffer and distances have also gone up. My pro came to the fitting with me and outright disagreed with the fitter at certain points. I know not the numbers BUT in my irons there are x100s and for the windy course I mostly play on they work.

I do feel fitters use the numbers to massage egos and encourage sales. My pro charged me for a 1/2 hour lesson and in my opinion probably saved me a very expensive mistake. The fitter would have given me a higher launch with more spin to maximise overall distance on a still day. However, this would not have fitted me.

talksalot81

Club Champion
Visit site
The reply that referred to flipping at the ball, therefore, upping clubhead speed, really emphasises how dark an art shaft fitting for clubs is. The actual number is totally irrelevant without the other factors such as release timing being taken into account. You can flip at the ball generating really high numbers but not transfer anywhere near as much energy to the ball as a correctly timed but slower tempo. Since I have slowed down my swing in tempo I have moved to a different shaft makeup of stiffer and distances have also gone up. My pro came to the fitting with me and outright disagreed with the fitter at certain points. I know not the numbers BUT in my irons there are x100s and for the windy course I mostly play on they work.

I do feel fitters use the numbers to massage egos and encourage sales. My pro charged me for a 1/2 hour lesson and in my opinion probably saved me a very expensive mistake. The fitter would have given me a higher launch with more spin to maximise overall distance on a still day. However, this would not have fitted me.

My pro is very cautious about the fitting too. Whilst trying to fiddle with my swing, there is a fair possibility that a fitter who didn't understand the golf swing could fit a shaft which worked to counter a swing flaw which could then turn out to be the wrong shaft a couple of months down the line.

To stay on topic, it looks like I am about mid 80s (anywhere from about 82-89) and I have been using rifle 6.0. Just to re-inforce the above, I hit these clubs sky high which cannot really be explained by swing speed and shaft flex.

Last edited: