You know you're at a posh club when?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you are lead sponsor at a charity day at a course and you are dragged off the first tee and not allowed to start until you have found some long socks to wear with shorts in 30 degree heat.

On the same day when you are having soup and a sandwich in between 2 rounds, have to change into full jacket and tie and then are not allowed to remove jackets in the 30 degree heat because nobody can get the club captain on the phone to get his permission to do so.

This screams what is wrong with this sport and why it doesn't attract new blood!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the long socks rule is more about old clubs than posh ones. Younger newer clubs are fine with sports socks.

I was more referring to the dinner jacket and tie for lunch between games....

I've been bitten also with the knee length socks, apparently 90* on a Wednesday afternoon was neither here nor there, the members would have had kittens. My response was " given how some of them are dressed my socks should be the least of your members concern "

DCB

Visit site
Amazing how any thread like this always comes down to displeasure at a clubs dress code. If it's going to be that bad, go play the local muni 😉

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Amazing how any thread like this always comes down to displeasure at a clubs dress code. If it's going to be that bad, go play the local muni 😉

Golf is not like that DCB, in fact I think in life in general is not like that.
We seem to have become a Nation of people only to readily offended on the behalf of others.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Many of the posts here confuse 'posh' with 'traditional members' - not that these two are mutually exclusive.

For me - a 'posh' club is one whose members look down their noses at visitors and those of us that don't inhabit their curious monied, gilded and pampered world. There is very little good I can think to say about a 'posh' club - one whose members think that they are members of one.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When your score card is given to you on the first tee and he talks you through course condition

I had that at North Hants a few weeks ago. It did not strike me as a posh club. It was a lovely touch by the club for the visitor, such as I was that day. The starter also advised us how best to play the 1st.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was more referring to the dinner jacket and tie for lunch between games....

I've been bitten also with the knee length socks, apparently 90* on a Wednesday afternoon was neither here nor there, the members would have had kittens. My response was " given how some of them are dressed my socks should be the least of your members concern "

Tie? Don't you mean cravat?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had that at North Hants a few weeks ago. It did not strike me as a posh club. It was a lovely touch by the club for the visitor, such as I was that day. The starter also advised us how best to play the 1st.

We arranged a small group trip to Parkstone last year, maybe 10 of us.
We were welcomed outside the club by the Secretary who gave us all info about changing rooms ect, then gave us some tips on first tee and acted as starter.
Dunno about posh, but it was wonderful and very welcoming

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We arranged a small group trip to Parkstone last year, maybe 10 of us.
We were welcomed outside the club by the Secretary who gave us all info about changing rooms ect, then gave us some tips on first tee and acted as starter.
Dunno about posh, but it was wonderful and very welcoming

Absolutely - such touches aren't 'posh' - they are just 'right', and what you might hope from a good traditional members club when you may well be paying a few bob for your round or day.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

It's only a par 3 FFS, what was he advising, a layup, cut it in from the right/left, just take the yardage and smack it on the green, it's hardly a testing 1st hole!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Royal West Norfolk?

Sunningdale; and of course they both later became King (Edward VIII and George VI).

This is from the RWNGC website

"The Club is unusual in that its royal status was conferred at the outset, with the Prince of Wales, later to become King Edward VII, accepted the invitation to become the Club's Patron. Four Members of the Royal Family have captained the Club over the years, the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Windsor and two Dukes of Kent"

That counts too. :)