Yorkshire Sculpture Park

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last weekend my wife and I were visiting family in West Yorkshire. We were staying in a hotel near Wakefield and with a few hours to kill on the Sunday we went to visit The Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Now I know that art is very subjective but I just didn’t get some of it at all. I cannot believe that art critics look at this stuff and fawn over it. We enjoyed the walk around the lake but as for the “art”, just not my sort of thing. Just random shapes dumped in a field spoiling the natural look of the place.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Colosseum, just a bunch of rocks innit ?.

It's a few years since we went but I enjoyed it, it's a bit different and adds to the walk. It takes all sorts.

If you want to really be bemused then visit Tate Modern o_O

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Colosseum, just a bunch of rocks innit ?.

It's a few years since we went but I enjoyed it, it's a bit different and adds to the walk. It takes all sorts.

If you want to really be bemused then visit Tate Modern o_O
We went to the Tate a few weeks ago when we were in the big smoke. Glad it was free to enter as some (most) of the stuff was utter rubbish. A couple looked like the 'artist' had got all his materials together and then couldn't be bothered to build anything and there was just a pile of stuff on the floor. Beside the 'exhibit' was a paragraph on how it showed angst/joy/loneliness/futility of life or some other deep and meaningful load of tosh.
Won't be going back

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A few years ago I was watching a BBC show, it was to find artist of the year or what ever. I know it’s down to individual taste. But some of it was complete and utter rammel.
For me an artist above all else should be able to to paint good portraits or landscapes. They should have basic skills. Then if they want to digress from there like Lowery. Fantastic. But some of these would screw up a painting by numbers.
On that show was a painter called Richard Salter. I really liked his stuff. Then to my astonishment I mentioned the show to one of the lads at work. He asked who i thought would win. I mentioned Mr Salter. It was his son in law. Suffice to say he did a pencil sketch of me and Missis T. It is fantastic.
Mr Salter is ex services and his angle is military. Very good. But outta my price range unfortunately.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Went to the Tate in Liverpool years ago
We were up visiting family and we all went.
There was a modern art exhibition going on.
We stood in front of this..thing is the only way to describe it and, at the top of her voice, my 8 year old nice calmly announced to the world that
"This is a load of old rubbish"...:ROFLMAO::love:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As has been said, art is very subjective. Generally speaking, I'm with most on here that art has to convey something to me. I never got Picasso to be honest but some other off-the-wall stuff does appeal. But I would agree, the Tate Modern has me shaking my head. A few years ago, I spent a few happy hours walking around the Louvre with headphones on. Some of the work there just blew me away.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We went to the Tate a few weeks ago when we were in the big smoke. Glad it was free to enter as some (most) of the stuff was utter rubbish. A couple looked like the 'artist' had got all his materials together and then couldn't be bothered to build anything and there was just a pile of stuff on the floor. Beside the 'exhibit' was a paragraph on how it showed angst/joy/loneliness/futility of life or some other deep and meaningful load of tosh.
Won't be going back
There is a Tate in Newcastle and we went when it opened. One of the exhibits was some tea bags, Pyramid bags to be precise, scattered on the floor. I asked one of the staff if they were ever tempted to move a bag a few cms to the left or right, just for the hell of it. 'Oh no sir, we leave it exactly as the artist intended so that their message is conveyed correctly'. I desperately tried not to raise an eyebrow, stifle a laugh but I fear I failed :LOL:. I never did work out what the message was o_O

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My measurement of "valid art" is "could I have done that?"

I asked to do art at O Level when at school in order to get me out of chemistry. The Art Master in no uncertain terms replied "No chance, it would be a waste of xxxxxxx materials!" Harsh but true, was my thought.

Hence, the stuff chucked on the floor? Random bits chopped off a block, splodges of pain on the floor/wall/canvass?? Yes I could do that, therefore it is all "cobblers!"

Picasso? Constable's landscapes? Stubbs' horses? Monet's scenes, even Banksie's walls? etc etc etc. Not a hope! Therefore ART!

The subjectivity is whether you like it or not. The hippies taking funding/grants off the terminally stupid, fair play to them for sussing "an earner" Giles and Miranda for thinking it is worthy? Get a grip! :)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I had a look at the images from the park on Google, and on their website, and have to say I quite liked some of the sculptures from what I can see. Quirky yes but actually some of them are quite interesting.
"I don't know much about art, but I know what I like".

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I live local to it & agree.
its a decent walk round,but the art isn’t for me.
Did you play any golf whilst here?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I live local to it & agree.
its a decent walk round,but the art isn’t for me.
Did you play any golf whilst here?
No golf sadly as we were only there for a couple of days. My dad doesn't play anymore either so that makes it harder to get a game when I visit.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No that’s Tankersley,Tbf I prefer that to Woolley,both good courses tho.
Give me a shout next time you’re here if you fancy a round.
Thanks for the offer. No idea when I will be up that way again though, probably not until Christmas. Not a fan of playing in freezing conditions though.