Yardages? Do you know your "real" yardages?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm fairly confident I know my (carry) yardages fairly accurately, although every now and then I'll pull the club and think "I can't get there with this" or "this is too much club". I'd guess I was about 50/50 being right or wrong with that, but hitting a shot with what you think is the wrong club (even if it's actually the right one!) never usually ends well.

Even if you miss target, being pin high usually makes the next shot easier.

A few weeks ago I played with one of our juniors. He didn't have GPS/laser so I offered him a yardage only to be told he never gets one.

He doesn't even know how far his clubs go.
He just looks at the shot and imagines the right club for it. He plays off 6.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yardages of a clean flat lie on the fairaway or of a tee are not a problem, my distance is usually as close as my dispersion

My yardages when out the rough, on a downhill, uphill, side hill are a problem

Pity it is difficult to work on these as so many variables

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
On any given day it's your best guess.
7 iron flushed 165yds.
7 iron ok 155yds
7 iron iffy 140 yds .
so you factor in how you are playing and wind , ground conditions and pick your club but you won't hit 7 iron 165yds if your not playing well.
Although your ego will still tell you it's on.
This is where your course management comes in and experience is needed to say " not striping it " so 165 yds becomes 6 iron.

I understand when you best guess - but if you know your average yards on a calm day so 7i - 170. That's your stock shot. so depending on the day you can make a more estimate well round "guess" - So hitting it bad, wind in face- 5i today.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have no idea how far i can top a 3 iron. It varies a bit as to conditions, and fairway cut.

Wedges are easier to guess. Pw is any where from 0 to 160. Much more than 160, and i am going to need to thin a 9.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I pretty much know my distances;

Driver 325
3 wood 300
2 iron 264
4 iron 240
5 iron 215
6 iron 205
7 iron 180
8 iron 168
9 iron 156
PW 146
52 wedge 132
SW 110
60 degree wedge 84

*adjusted to forum distances so I don't look inadequate. All distances inflated by 20% approximately*

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know mine very well due to our grass range practice.

One thing a lot of players don't take into account is the temperature of the day, I know this might seem a little odd at this time of the year when temps are fairly stable there will not be a lot of difference, however when it gets colder there is a massive difference.

In the winter my wedge was 115 tops, about 3 degrees, now 20 degrees or so I'm near as damn it 130

I will always try and pick my club according to my best shot distance,if I duff it or thin it or fat it then so be it.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Sure do got a nice laminated list I carry 🤔 carry + roll out, and starting using the Thomas Pieter's method right on the back of the clubs the carry 👍

Driver carry 242yrds 😱 short as

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As well as the gapping session for full shots, I did a session on trackman with only my wedges, do a back swing to knee height, waist height, waist height with wrist hinge and 3/4 swing, for the three wedges I use most I've got 12 distances, some distances may over lap a little, but the shot trajectory is different.

My PW (48 degrees) will do 60yds on waist high swing, while my SW (56 Degrees) will do 60 on a waist high with hinge, but the SW will have a higher flight arc and more stop, while the PW will be lower with more run.