Wrist setting, early / late - Does it matter?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
This sentence doesn't sit well with me.

Ideally lag comes from having all the other parts working in such a way that lag is NATURALLY created, (hand position/spine angle/handle position etc) you can't create lag and just HOPE it fits with everything else that you do in your swing. If you suddenly start cocking your wrists and throwing the club onto an entirely new plane it might screw your swing up - certainly for a while I'd imagine.

If you don't 'flip' then you have lag. Having lag doesn't in itself do anything, it's just a position that ISN'T a flip (thereby allowing your full potential).

This is how I feel. When you look at the pros, the likes of Garcia in particular, most of the lag is created after the downswing starts. You can see the angle between the hands & arms reducing as the hips & upper body begin to turn back.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
[video=youtube;aTtvlq0rauA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTtvlq0rauA[/video]

DTL swing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPQHQeEl-R4

Here they are, as Jiminesque as you like. His head doesn't wave about like mine but that's something he can work on!

Feels to me like a wide, flat swing with a mnimum of wrist setting until the very last part of the backswing. The DTL shot was a good strike, the other pushed right a bit, with some fade. Hadn't really warmend up at that stage.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Don't be offended but if that was my swing I was looking at on video I would change it tomorrow... but only if I wanted (could be bothered) to improve. If you're loving your golf and playing for fun then just get out there... it's sunny today!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't be offended but if that was my swing I was looking at on video I would change it tomorrow... but only if I wanted (could be bothered) to improve. If you're loving your golf and playing for fun then just get out there... it's sunny today!

Offended, me? I might have been if you were off 28 but I respect your undoubted ability. I'd be interested in what you'd change. If it is the head movement, there's nothing I can do about it, I have a stiff neck &, unfortunately, when the shoulders move, so does the head. If it's the flatness, I've tried (yes, I have been bothered!) to get it steeper on & off over the last 40 plus years and all that leads to is massive inconsistency. Believe it or not, this swing has brought impressive results in the last few weeks, 3 over the other day and 1 under, could have been 4 under for an eight hole stretch on a very demanding course the other week.

This kind of swing brings Jiminez incredible accuracy and it does the same, on a much reduced scale, obviously, for me. I can hit every fairway off the tee on a good day & the short game is improving a lot. The swing looks (is) flat because I'm 6 feet tall with 30½" inside legs & long arms. I can't get very bent over the ball and the shoulders swing in a very horizontal plane. This, combined with an aversion to swinging my arms upover, leads to a very flat swing. But, it works for Kuchar & Jiminez and it works for me.

I may be 68 but haven't stopped trying to improve, I can't understand people who play "just for the exercise & the company" but I have to stick to my natural swing, with adaptations to make solid contact.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
... If it is the head movement, there's nothing I can do about it, I have a stiff neck &, unfortunately, when the shoulders move, so does the head. If it's the flatness,

... I've tried (yes, I have been bothered!) to get it steeper on & off over the last 40 plus years and all that leads to is massive inconsistency.

... The swing looks (is) flat because I'm 6 feet tall with 30½" inside legs & long arms.

... I can't get very bent over the ball and the shoulders swing in a very horizontal plane. This, combined with an aversion to swinging my arms upover, leads to a very flat swing.

... I may be 68

Seems like you got all your excuses in nice and early. Hard to change someone who doesn't want to :D

I'd have you raise the plane a little so you don't swing around yourself quite so flat... (right arm collapses too much in backswing) and have you shorten your backswing. You can get as much power as you need from the position on the left... the one on the right doesn't really add anything to your swing power OR control wise.

NatCfn7.gif

Out of interest, what kinda yardage you you think you can carry your driver? Are you a 220 carry with roll out to 240.... or less?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
AW
Seems like you got all your excuses in nice and early. Hard to change someone who doesn't want to :D

I'd have you raise the plane a little so you don't swing around yourself quite so flat... (right arm collapses too much in backswing) and have you shorten your backswing. You can get as much power as you need from the position on the left... the one on the right doesn't really add anything to your swing power OR control wise.

Out of interest, what kinda yardage you you think you can carry your driver? Are you a 220 carry with roll out to 240.... or less?

You probably won't believe this but that was me trying to get it steeper! In this position the shoulders have rotated at right angles to the spine which, to me, is correct. If I try (& believe me I have tried!) to get any steeper I'm all over the place, no consistency at all. I carry it around 200 to 220 off the tee, very few people of my age at the club hit it further. And, as I said, on a good day I can hit every fairway.

[video]https://youtu.be/FpVKrVG2qUA[/video]

This is what I want my swing to look like. Is this too flat?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
By the time he has the club shaft level to his toe line he has both the grip and the head of the club above his hip height, yours isn't so perhaps give that a go...

HMf1NIB.gif

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
By the time he has the club shaft level to his toe line he has both the grip and the head of the club above his hip height, yours isn't so perhaps give that a go...

You're dead right & I'm nearer to that position than I used to be. This swing fascinates me, it's shallow on the way back but gets steeper the moment the downswing starts. It works for him and, for me,ci feel it's one to copy.