Would you use a caddy in your weekend medal?

Would you use a caddy in your weekend medal?

• Yes

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 77.0%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I don't suppose many of us have spent a lot of time with someone caddying for us but would you, if you had the chance, use one and why/why not?

I definitely benefit from a bit of someone keeping the blinkers on and not letting me get too panicky and my reading of putts is generally horrific which would be the biggest factor..

For the purposes of this pretend that nobody at the club is going to pull your leg, and see it as more of a performance thing...

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the main I think caddies are people who know courses exceedingly well and would get to know a players game reasonably well to be of any real benefit.

I do not need someone who is just a bag carrier and club cleaner.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope. I’ve played a few Open rota venues with a local caddy, they really added to the experience and at Royal St George’s in particular were invaluable with so many blind drives. In a monthly medal at my place I’m sure a good caddy would help, if nothing else it’s reassuring to know the planned shot is the right one, removes a lot of mental chatter. But seriously, the mortification would be immense and I’m quite sure you would never ever hear the end of it in the clubhouse for the rest of your days.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Nope. I’ve played a few Open rota venues with a local caddy, they really added to the experience and at Royal St George’s in particular were invaluable with so many blind drives. In a monthly medal at my place I’m sure a good caddy would help, if nothing else it’s reassuring to know the planned shot is the right one, removes a lot of mental chatter. But seriously, the mortification would be immense and I’m quite sure you would never ever hear the end of it in the clubhouse for the rest of your days.

I've added a line to the original to make it clear that it's more from a performance standpoint than your mates taking the proverbial

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Occasionally perhaps, Caddie I would expect to help and lower scores just because green reading in particular i'm poor at and also push sometimes for the 1 out of 10 recovery shot.

I enjoyed it in part when playing Portrush as helped with wind, lines etc, but I also found it a bit awkward particularly on disagreements with clubs etc so ended up going with their approach when i knew it wasn't right for me. Also reduces chats with playing partners as you suddenly have 8 in the group you're chatting to.

I think i'd be more inclined to have a group caddie so I'm carrying my own bag and they just come in to chat/help on certain bits, rake bunkers etc. They could also be in charge of pace of play for each group!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have never had a caddy so it would be an interesting experience. In terms of my own course they will not know it as well as me but maybe they will see things differently, suggest different lines in etc? Whether I can hit those shots is an entirely different matter of course.

In answer to the question, I would try it out. I can't see it being worse so I will either score better or the same. They would certainly make me concentrate more.

D

Deleted member 23270

I've had a mate caddy in high level events but wouldn't bother in a home club medal. I've been at my club over 10 years, if I don't know the greens and yardages by now I guess I never will.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As it's a hypothetical question and there is no fall out socially, then why not - have someone carry/push your cart hand you your clubs and give you yardages etc. No brainer really in my opinion.

evemccc

Visit site

I’m due to play RSG this spring and having walked the course at the Open and having seen the excellent flyover short video Golf Digest (or whoever it was) produced multiple times, I feel like I ‘know’ the course really well and can picture all the holes well in my mind, despite not having played it yet.

I like to do this for ‘treat’ courses I’m going to play, to help my appreciate the experience when I get there

I believe that local caddies would of course help but would it be necessary in this case do you think, having seen the course many times plus yardage book etc?

I have never used a caddie and have said to myself I will do so when I play TOC — but part of me likes the strategy side of golf, and if I ‘know’ the course and where to aim, any mistakes in choosing strategy and the practical application, is all mine

In answer to this thread, I’d say no I wouldn’t use a caddy for anything except for club champs - deffo not for a monthly medal

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've added a line to the original to make it clear that it's more from a performance standpoint than your mates taking the proverbial

That changes everything! I’ve changed my vote from Never ever ever to Yes. Talking about the shot with someone else helps you commit and stay focussed. Even in 4BBB I find it useful to chat to a partner if they are so inclined (not everyone is).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This thread reminded me that it's been 2 years and a couple of days since one of the great characters of Golf (Edinburgh Jimmy) passed.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m due to play RSG this spring and having walked the course at the Open and having seen the excellent flyover short video Golf Digest (or whoever it was) produced multiple times, I feel like I ‘know’ the course really well and can picture all the holes well in my mind, despite not having played it yet.

I like to do this for ‘treat’ courses I’m going to play, to help my appreciate the experience when I get there

I believe that local caddies would of course help but would it be necessary in this case do you think, having seen the course many times plus yardage book etc?

I have never used a caddie and have said to myself I will do so when I play TOC — but part of me likes the strategy side of golf, and if I ‘know’ the course and where to aim, any mistakes in choosing strategy and the practical application, is all mine

In answer to this thread, I’d say no I wouldn’t use a caddy for anything except for club champs - deffo not for a monthly medal

If you feel like you have a good handle on it that’s ok, but so often we’d be standing on a tee looking at a ridge and he’d say “see that tree on the horizon? Left side of that is your line”. And if not for that I could be anywhere. The great thing about RSG is when you walk to the top of that ridge you are greeted by utterly beautiful fairways and greens, every one of them different to the last and all laid out to perfection. After Birkdale it’s probably my favourite course so far, it’s a close second at that. Helps that I played well there and my caddy was amped for me, the other guy had a mare, lost a dozen or more balls and ended up throwing one out on the fairway more often than not. His caddy seemed less enthused!

You’d be far less likely to need one at TOC imo but mad not to take one, the guys in our group we’re great craic and had loads of stories about the place. The course isn’t difficult to negotiate, the experience is unforgettable.

evemccc

Visit site
If you feel like you have a good handle on it that’s ok, but so often we’d be standing on a tee looking at a ridge and he’d say “see that tree on the horizon? Left side of that is your line”. And if not for that I could be anywhere. The great thing about RSG is when you walk to the top of that ridge you are greeted by utterly beautiful fairways and greens, every one of them different to the last and all laid out to perfection. After Birkdale it’s probably my favourite course so far, it’s a close second at that. Helps that I played well there and my caddy was amped for me, the other guy had a mare, lost a dozen or more balls and ended up throwing one out on the fairway more often than not. His caddy seemed less enthused!

You’d be far less likely to need one at TOC imo but mad not to take one, the guys in our group we’re great craic and had loads of stories about the place. The course isn’t difficult to negotiate, the experience is unforgettable.

I’m playing Birkdale too this year so very much looking forward to being in a position to compare them both!

Point taken on the caddy at TOC and RSG

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm terrible at reading the wind, and struggle with reading putts (even at my own course), and of course I often under club.
So if someone is able to help, I'd gladly accept it!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm terrible at reading the wind, and struggle with reading putts (even at my own course), and of course I often under club.
So if someone is able to help, I'd gladly accept it!
I forgot about this. A caddy who was good in this aspect would probably save me 3 or 4 shots on that alone.