Would you risk it????...

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why enter in the first place if you aren't prepared in less than perfect conditions?
I think there's less than perfect conditions and foul weather.
I live and play in one of the wetter parts of the west of Scotland and frequently play in poor weather.
But there is no way I would personally choose to have a five hour round trip drive to play in heavy rain with high winds, particularly for an Open day when pace of play is seldom fast.

Mandofred

Visit site
I went to see about them a few years ago but really struggled with getting them in and out so gave up. Not tempted to go back there...
My eyes are getting very slowly worse....I can see fine with the ball in the air and if it bounces....but from anywhere near 200yds I can't see the ball if it isn't moving. If the eyes get much worse I won't go glasses, but would seriously inquire about laser on the eyes.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No mate. Hockley in Hampshire.
Forecast is saying 50% chance of rain/thunder, saying the same for todat but the as I type this the sun is out. Bit of wind will keep any showers blowing through. Hockley is on chalk so drains really well anyway. I'd be risking it I think

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My missus teed off at 10am. Heavy rain was forecast from midday, loads of the ladies dropped out, she went anyway. She must be close to finishing right now, and the sun has shone all morning and still is!

Forecasts are hit and miss when there are weather systems flying around like this! :)

Swango1980

Visit site
Check the forecast tomorrow, in case it changes.

However, it sounds like you don't want to play in bad weather. So, you need to decide what is better. Losing £55 and sitting in the comfort of your own home, or playing in awful conditions for the pleasure of £55. Either way, £55 is leaving your bank account in the worst case, so you need to decide whether you'd rather play golf or stay dry.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Based on the weather forecast as I look at it now on the BBC, I’d be going.

The forecast is for potential thundery showers at some point during the day. It’s not going to rain all day, but there could be one or maybe two showers, or possibly nothing at all. The reason it’s forecast as thunder all afternoon is they simply cannot predict where storms will pop up, you might be unlucky, you might not.

Wind also doesn’t look as high as you mention in your OP. When did last rain for more than 30 mins in the the south of England? I don’t see a forecast of foul weather, I see a forecast of a chance of a short sharp heavy downpour.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife and I played in the Carlyon Bay open on Sunday.
The forecast was for moderate wind and no rain until 8pm.
We teed off at 2.40pm, and as we were walking down the first fairway the rain started.
By the third hole it was lashing down with winds I'd estimate at about 40mph.
It was impossible to keep a stable stance when putting.
It was the worst conditions I've ever played golf in.
We really wish we hadn't bothered.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My wife and I played in the Carlyon Bay open on Sunday.
The forecast was for moderate wind and no rain until 8pm.
We teed off at 2.40pm, and as we were walking down the first fairway the rain started.
By the third hole it was lashing down with winds I'd estimate at about 40mph.
It was impossible to keep a stable stance when putting.
It was the worst conditions I've ever played golf in.
We really wish we hadn't bothered.
That sounds like the old farts v whippersnappers match at Woodhall Spa. I walked in after 4 holes. At least it saved a dog license by Slasher ???

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As you’ve a history of walking in when there’s a bit of rain your better off staying at home ? I played Cooden that year when there was I shower and you walked in when some of us carried on.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Well, I'm going to St George's Hill tomorrow, whatever the weather. Not missing out on 36 holes and breakfast, lunch and snacks post round for a bit of rain and wind. And if there's thunder/lighting, then I'll settle for breakfast, 9 holes and a carvery at a fantastic course!