Do you think you're handicap would be lower.....

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
if you played on "tour quality" courses day in, day out?
I don't mean 7000 yard plus monsters, but just the general condition of the course?
Fairways that are beautifully manicured without a blade of grass out of place and you always have the "perfect" lie, not sitting in an old divot.
Rough where, unless it's tricked up super long and thick for the Open, you always seem to get the ball sitting up like a dogs goolie and the only consideration you have to take into account is you're going to get slightly less backspin, not a great big clump of mud on your ball.
Greens that are consistent in quality and pace, where a putt hit on line stays on line and a decent shot into a green sticks and holds rather than clatters out through the back.
Fringe grass without a wormcast or old divot in sight.
Bunkers that are raked to perfection, no dog turds or great big footprints (human or otherwise) in them.
The sun on your back for most of the time.
I've played in two "decent" competitions so far this year, and on both occasions I have been almost blown off the course with 30-40mph winds, and rain sheeting across to the extent that on one "nearest the pin" hole, you couldn't even see the green, let alone the flagstick! Bunkers full of water, etc. etc.
During both rounds I couldn't help thinking the pro's wouldn't have been out in those conditions, no way.
And on both occasions I couldn't help wondering if my actual handicap would be lower if I got to play my everyday golf in conditions, and on courses like the pro's play.
Yes they put in the hard work, and yes they give up the hours. But they are pampered aren't they?

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say it would have an impact, yes..however, your golf game would probably become very one-dimensional

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think the only area where I wouldn't try to avoid if they were as good as you see the pro's play out of would be the bunkers, there the most costly hazard to keep well maintained and consistent on club courses so that would be the only area where a few shots would/could be saved if they were of an excellent consistent standard, otherwise the rough is the rough and as long as there are a few trees down the fairways I'd still find them now & then so I'd still be chipping out, I'm capable of making pars both gross & nett without being on a fairway so I think they can be a little overrated personally :smirk:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
prob not, it would be nice to play in 25deg + everytime, but we dont and i would prob complain it was too warm for me.

I will however be playing in a 36 hole open this morning in 50MPH wind, the tree's at the bottom of my garden are already bent double. you don't see pro's play in those conditions too often and half that wind strength and TV commemorators are sayings its unplayable.

Hers' to RO;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm sure that would be so Smiffy

I played at the London Club in the week and there was a 40 - 50 mph cross wind and rain coming in sideways all day but the ball still sat nicely on the fairway and the greens were still quick and true. I'm sure that in good conditions that my driving would have clearly bean longer and less likely to have sometimes been blown sideways and the nice big greens would have been easier to hit and putt on.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
prob not, it would be nice to play in 25deg + everytime, but we dont and i would prob complain it was too warm for me.

I'm not just talking about the weather Patrick.
I'm mainly talking about the condition of the course.
Fairways where the ball gets a bit of run on it, rather than plugging.
And again, I'm not talking (as I mentioned) about the 7,000 yard monster courses. Even in benign conditions and run on the ball I would personally still struggle.
Bring the course down to a decent "amateur" level (say 6,500) but keep the conditions the same with regards fairways, bunkers, and more importantly greens.
I feel certain that if these were all as good as the pro's your handicap should be lower

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes.

You're a good putter. You hit a putt on line, and the greens are true. The ball drops in. On bobbly greens the ball misses.

You're a good ball striker. Pristine fairways, you catch the ball clean and it flies the right distance and lands with the expected amount of spin. Fluffy fairways. You'll probably still hit the green 95% of the time but it might drop a little shorter or be a bit of a flier = end result is you're further from the pin.

Multiply the above by 18 holes and x number of rounds, and you'll have a different handicap.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yes, having thousands of ball spotters prevents you needing to play stroke and distance, you'll still lose a shot hacking out the rough but won't pick up the penalty for a lost ball.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes, having thousands of ball spotters prevents you needing to play stroke and distance, you'll still lose a shot hacking out the rough but won't pick up the penalty for a lost ball.

Hmm, I didn't take ball spotters into consideration, I thought Smiffy was just about course conditions, if spotters are allowed I'd be off single figures before Homer :D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know I putt better on better greens. I also know I hit better irons off better surfaces.

Having also been a member of a struggling course with poor greens and poor surfaces I know the contrast between just that and normal member clubs!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If its the same for all the CSS would likely come down and rarely go up, so likely your hc would stay the same. :)

Very good point... hate a smart ar..:D got agree with you. But handicap aside, I think you'd score better.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bunkers would be a real game changer.

The pros can splash out using speed and spin every time. We run the risk of their being next to no sand under our ball and can blade it quite easily.

Sweet greens inspire confidence too.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Better Greens and more consistent bunkers would certainly help my scores.

But as it would likely help everyone else's scores as well, the nett effect would be 'no change'!

One advantage Scots have, that makes their handicaps 'travel well' is that they play in all sorts of conditions, so the odd 'poor conditions' that are experienced down South don't phase them nearly as much as they do for 'soft Southerners'!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good consistent greens have got to make a difference.

Nothing worse than hitting a well paced putt on the right line just to see it bobble and weave its way to the hole..

On good greens most times you'll know if its going to drop as soon as you've seen the line it's travelling on.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not for me.

Ive you play a run of the mill private course all the time, I would agree that you would play lower when its in A1 compared to so-so condition.

For tougher courses, say Hillside, lower handicappers/good putters may do better on the A1 greens, but I think the majority would still play as bad, if not worse as fast greens for high handicappers/bad putters can even more so be 3-4 putt city.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think what would make the most difference is a perfect green where the ball runs true, wouldn't matter if the green was fast or slow, just so long as it run true, so you could putt with confidence.

When you putt on a pin cushion as most of us have to that's when it's a lottery whether the ball arrives on line at the hole or not.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not for me.

Ive you play a run of the mill private course all the time, I would agree that you would play lower when its in A1 compared to so-so condition.

For tougher courses, say Hillside, lower handicappers/good putters may do better on the A1 greens, but I think the majority would still play as bad, if not worse as fast greens for high handicappers/bad putters can even more so be 3-4 putt city.

Pete you missed the point. It's not about playing at hillside rather than Lee park. It's Lee. Park presented as if it was holding a tour event.