Frustrated weather interruption rant

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I played in our club's biggest open competition of the year this weekend. It is a two day event, but I only played the individual Stableford comp on Saturday (Sunday was a fourball comp). The weather has been crazy in Germany the past week or so, and I mean crazy. Meteorologist say we have a monsoon like situation, with a bubble of hot very moist air encapsulated in colder air masses around it and that leads to the most vicious thunderstorms and very heavy rainfalls that can occurr pretty much out of the blue (and seriously, I understood just this week that that is where the phrase 'out of the blue' comes from). The weather forecast for Saturday wasn't much better, there had been a severe thunderstorm warning, so we left the first tee with instructions on what the procedure was going to be if the game had to be interrupted. All bunkers had to be taken out of play because they were flooded.

My group started at 10.50 am, so somewhere in the middle of the field, and we were relatively lucky with the weather. It was stuffy and hot, and there was the occasional rolling thunder in the distance, but it held up until we came to the 17th tee. There our club president appeared in his golf cart and told us to quit and head back to the club house asap and then sounded the alarm. I had played very solid up to that point, I think I was at 35 Stableford points after the 16 holes, so I was a bit frustrated, because my playing partners (at least two of the three) took the signal to mean that the comp was over for good and started packing their golf bags away into their cars. One headed to the showers straight away, the other proclamined that he was having one beer in the club house and would then be heading home. All my protests about "it surely is just an interruption" went unheard.

Almost everyone assembled on the club house terrace (a few groups who had been on the far side of the course did find refuge in the lightning shelters there) and it did become apparent that the game was indeed not cancelled yet, but everyone (except my two now awol playing partners) expected it to continue after a 30 min break. The interruption was very well timed by the committee, btw. We just made it back to the club house before the rainstorm hit in earnest. It only lasted 10 minutes or so, and then cleared up again, but there were reports of lightning strikes close by, and the official regulation for that in Germany is that you have to wait at least 30 minutes after the last lightning event before you are allowed back on the course. We had quite a few golfers killed by lightning in the last couple of years, one on a neighbouring golf course, so people are very cautious about that.

When it was finally time to head back out, both the missing playing partners had miraculously reappeared. One, refreshed after a couple of beers, was so eager to get back out that he ran off even before the clear signal had been officially sounded. The lady who had insisted on the shower now insisted on finishing her beer in peace before she would start getting her things back out of the car. It was complete and utter chaos. One group had not even interrupted their game at all (or maybe for five minutes or so after the alarm) and was now happily teeing off on the 17th when we finally showed up there again. They were later disqualified for disregarding the official interruption. We had to let one more groups through before the shower lady finally showed up again. The two guys from my group decided to re-hit their tee shots, claiming they could not re-establish were their balls had ended up before the interruption (which was crap ... the guy who had wanted to stop had picked his ball up and the other one had hit his first tee shot oob and his 'provisional' was still clearly visible in the middle of the fairway). We ladies had not teed off yet, so we were okay.

All that confusion let to me being completely out of sorts, though. I sliced my tee shot, could not find it (letting another group through while we were searching), had to head back to the tee and hit again, shanked it ... it was a disaster. I managed to scramble one meager point on the 18th after a three putt, so I just got my 36 Stableford points together. I ended up tied for third place (and lost in the card playoff, so I did not even get the shabby glass bowl they gave away for that). I was really annoyed at myself for the last two holes, but all that back and forth and the 45 minute wait completely killed it for me. I don't know what I could have done to stay focused more. Maybe I should have done a bit of a warm up while waiting on the 17th tee, there was time enough for it, but it did not even cross my mind.

With the interruption and waiting time the round took well over 6 hours which meant that everything else had to be pushed back as well. There was a candlelight dinner afterwards, which, because our club house restaurant is not really equipped to feed that many people at once, let alone with a five course meal, took almost as long as a round of golf. I made it home just about midnight and was absolutely knackered.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure what to say except congrats on the 36 points

I doubt I'd have tried to stay focused for a 45 minutes lightning delay though, that must take a lot of effort/concentration & maybe better to switch off completely, relax and mingle//chat etc and only refocus on your game/next shot once your group has assembled on 17th tee

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow....poor form from your playing parners to assume the competition was cancelled !! Still, take the positives. You played to handicap and know you have the game to beat it next time :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You have had a lot of bad luck there, You know the old saying " some days it never rains but pours".

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Were there disqualifications for all involved (yourself excepted)? From my reading that should be what happens or even more severe club sanctions for proper full on cheating like "re taking" a shot which was already OoB.

From personal experience big club tournaments in Germany are a pain with all the extras afterwards that no one needs or wants. In future resume play without the car woman present, that is her problem.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Were there disqualifications for all involved (yourself excepted)? From my reading that should be what happens or even more severe club sanctions for proper full on cheating like "re taking" a shot which was already OoB.

From personal experience big club tournaments in Germany are a pain with all the extras afterwards that no one needs or wants. In future resume play without the car woman present, that is her problem.

No, the only DQs were for the group that continued to play despite the official interruption. Apart from that no one seemed to care about the rules much after the interruption, everyone was just eager to finish. The comp was not handicap relevant, because the bunkers had been taken out of play and the prizes were crap, so the score really was not that important (which of course is no excuse for cheating ... it was claimed that "everyone re-teed" after the break, which I seriously doubt). As for the car lady being late ... that's hard to officially sanction as well, because there was no clear communication on how to resume playing. Normally I would expect two signals, one to give the all clear to go back out on the course and find your place again, and then a second one five to ten minutes later to officially start playing again. But that did not happen. People started to drift back out onto the course once the weather was clearing, while some stayed back in the clubhouse waiting for the official signal before going back out. So I would not expect everyone to be ready to start playing again at the same time.

It is the second comp in a row for me that went a bit off the rails. I played a parent/child comp with my mum last week which was equally messy. One guy in our 4ball did not show up, so his partner decided (on the first tee) to play a supplementary round instead, just to change his mind on the 4th tee, when his partner (very hungover and slightly worse for wear) finally managed to show after all. So they did play together after all (it was a Chapman foursomes match), but were of course taken out of the official ranking. The back and forth completely threw my mum's game. I played crap as well, but I think in my case it had more to do with a migraine headache than outer circumstances.

I am really trying to get actively involved in the club life and to play in competitions, but days like that make me wish I had just played a quiet evening round on my own instead.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Capella that last sentence. I would not let one comp spoil your ambitions. The good will outweigh the bad. From
What you have said. There us a lot of bad that can and should be put right. Inc crap prizes. 👍😁