Would you risk it????...

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You are due to play in an Open competition tomorrow, on a course you've never played before, but it's a 2.5 hour drive.
Forecast is for rain, wind and thunderstorms all day.
You hate playing in wind and rain because you wear glasses, and can't see a bloody thing when it's like that.
The wind is forecast for 20mph but bearing in mind the course is exposed on top of the South Downs is more likely to be the equivalent of 40mph.
Added to that, there's the threat of thunder and lightning, and the game being abandoned.
It sounds like Armageddon......
Would you just kiss your £55.00 entry fee goodbye???

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally no, not bothered with a bit of bad weather, but foul weather is no fun.
Plus you have the expense of five hours driving and it may be cancelled.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You are due to play in an Open competition tomorrow, on a course you've never played before, but it's a 2.5 hour drive.
Forecast is for rain, wind and thunderstorms all day.
You hate playing in wind and rain because you wear glasses, and can't see a bloody thing when it's like that.
The wind is forecast for 20mph but bearing in mind the course is exposed on top of the South Downs is more likely to be the equivalent of 40mph.
Added to that, there's the threat of thunder and lightning, and the game being abandoned.
It sounds like Armageddon......
Would you just kiss your £55.00 entry fee goodbye???
If they cancel it due to the weather will you get your entrance fee back?
Sounds like you don't really want to go - and I don't blame you.
A lot of wasted time and money if it's as bad as they say it will be.
Sit it out and hope they cancel......

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If I've paid in advance then I'm going

At best the forecast is wrong & you pick up best nett plus a NTP, at worst its canned but by being there your money/green fee should be good in future

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Look at it this way, the £55 is a sunk cost that you could get back but it's a bit random. If someone offered you a free round tomorrow but you would have to drive 5 hours and the weather forecast is awful would you accept?

D

Deleted member 1147

Having had to play in specs recently, due to an eye issue preventing me from wearing my contacts, I know how annoying they are for golf without any rain. With rain is just awful, so I'd say don't bother going.

D

Deleted member 3432

Why enter in the first place if you aren't prepared in less than perfect conditions?

D

Deleted member 3432

It doesn't have to be "perfect". I can put up with a bit of rain, I can put up with a bit of wind. I love watching lightning and listening to thunder. But playing in all of them ??!

OK, you're not going then ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I've paid in advance then I'm going

At best the forecast is wrong & you pick up best nett plus a NTP, at worst its canned but by being there your money/green fee should be good in future
Same here. If I've paid for it already then I'm going. Jacket on, umbrella up. Worst case if there is thunder and they call it off they give you your money back, but if you cancel they won't do obviously.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I absolutely hate playing in the rain (sit and ride buggy user and it is impossible to keep your hands dry ) and will always walk in straight away with lightning but not thunder.
If I am playing on my own I often walk in a such conditions as does one of my playing partners but a team game has a slightly different aspect. However I think our team score was severely influenced by the weather.

Would I cancel in such conditions probably not because I have paid and the club will refund or rearrange if there is lightning (or should). Always worth a phone call before setting out as a decision may have already been made

I played in an Open yesterday with a similar weather forecast we did not have the thunder storms but it lashed down for several holes (one team actually walked in because they mistook a dumper lorry banging its load out for thunder).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played in an Open yesterday with a similar weather forecast we did not have the thunder storms but it lashed down for several holes (one team actually walked in because they mistook a dumper lorry banging its load out for thunder).
Weather forecasts are terrible at predicting thunderstorms as well. Usually when it's been humid for a long time they just routinely predict thunderstorms over the course of about 5 days. The forecasts are always changing. Sometimes they predict thunderstorms, you cancel your game and all you get is a couple of quick showers.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No such thing as bad weather, just bad choice of clothing. Man up FFS!

If it’s a course you haven’t played and you know it drains well play on, although I do get the glasses issue. Ever thought about contacts just for golf?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I went to see about them a few years ago but really struggled with getting them in and out so gave up. Not tempted to go back there...

I hated them at first as the spec savers own brand was harsh and very itchy. I changed and tried accusoft from Johnson’s and would not play golf without them. Still use specs for work but they really are a game changer.