Would you rather play Pebble Beach or Riviera?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Pebble all day long, it is top of my list above every other course, including ANGC.

Alex Hay tells a good story in his autobiography. He is visiting the west coast and pops into the clubhouse at PB and enquires if it is possible to get on, unfortunately not is the answer. At that point a member of the public comes up to him and asks him if he will autograph a copy of Hay's coaching book which was fairly popular in the US and on sale in the Pro shop. The assistants jaw drops, and he immediately finds Hay a slot, no discount but at least a time.

Brilliant, liked Hay a lot. Once spent a day with him, was the most competitive player I've ever met (in a good way), then had dinner with him where he explained (with a fork) why my chipping was so bad. Lovely bloke and that giggle was infectious

D

Deleted Member 1156

Unfortunately I've never been... yet. Is it classed as a downlands course?
The yanks class anything by the sea as links but to be true links it must be on sandy ground and have the correct types of grasses. I would class PB as clifftop, similar to the likes of East Devon, Cromer or Sheringham in this country ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Brilliant, liked Hay a lot. Once spent a day with him, was the most competitive player I've ever met (in a good way), then had dinner with him where he explained (with a fork) why my chipping was so bad. Lovely bloke and that giggle was infectious
Have you read his autobiography? It is one of my favourite golfing books.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Care to expand on his chipping advice? ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Pebble beach for me, it's links, and the seafood is amazing in California.

Riviera is in California, and Pebble isn't links.

Riviera is tough, and is an example of a course that tests tour players, not mere mortals. I like to see the pro's play it, but it's not for me.

Pebble please. I love being by the sea.