Would you rather play Pebble Beach or Riviera?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
For all the chat of ‘Riv’ being one of the American greats it’s never really grabbed me, probably because of 10 and the fact that I can’t chip. A few say ‘Pebble’ is overrated but can’t ever imagine walking off 18 there thinking that

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I'd rather play the course six miles down the road from me - it's harder than both of those and more fun - and they don't stop you playing because of a bit of a breeze - Oh and I can get on Carnoustie for a tenth of the price it would cost a tourist to play Pebble.

Forced to choose from your options I'd rather play Riviera though.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I'd rather play Pine Valley or Cypress Point. :)

I think I’d rather play Cypress Point than anywhere. Two mates always promised one another they would do Cypress one day, then one of them somehow managed to get on there on his honeymoon (the other was his best man) and they didn’t speak properly for six months. Not sure he’s ever forgiven him

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think I’d rather play Cypress Point than anywhere. Two mates always promised one another they would do Cypress one day, then one of them somehow managed to get on there on his honeymoon (the other was his best man) and they didn’t speak properly for six months. Not sure he’s ever forgiven him

Can't blame him either! :LOL:

Don't get me wrong, if I was offered a game at Pebble Beach or Riviera I'd grab it with both hands , but there are other courses higher up my list of priorities if I had free choice; considerably more in the case of Riviera, so I suppose that means the answer to the question asked is Pebble Beach.

D

Deleted member 1147

Riviera-without doubt

But I’d love the views at Pebble Beach

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Pebble all day long, it is top of my list above every other course, including ANGC.

Alex Hay tells a good story in his autobiography. He is visiting the west coast and pops into the clubhouse at PB and enquires if it is possible to get on, unfortunately not is the answer. At that point a member of the public comes up to him and asks him if he will autograph a copy of Hay's coaching book which was fairly popular in the US and on sale in the Pro shop. The assistants jaw drops, and he immediately finds Hay a slot, no discount but at least a time.

Grizzly

Visit site
So many considerations - not least, if we are in effect saying "a contact offers you a round at...", then I might go Riviera on account of the fact that Pebble does accept bookings and Riviera I don't believe does.

If it was the course, then I would go Pebble, just for the holes by the water. I love watching the Pros play Riviera - just as I do any course that takes the premium off driver distance - but I reckon it'd be hard going!