Would you have walked in?

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just been playing a club singles match giving away a ton of shots and my opponent had obviously decided beforehand that wasn't enough so went to the tactic of moving around at the top of my swing, moving when I was trying to putt etc. I called him up on it three separate times but it still carried on so it was definitely not accidental or inadvertent.

I now wish I'd just walked in after the front nine because it was at the point where it was just not even worth being out there. And there can be no comeback against him as it would just be his word against mine.

Anyway, would you have walked in, lumped him one or just carried on and took it out on the cat when you got home?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe not being a member of a club or playing so competitive but stuff like this doesn't bother me one bit. Not saying it's right (or wrong) but I don't think it's bothered me at any time during the time I've played golf.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would have walked in to the pro shop & made a complaint & explaining the poor sportsmanship shown.

I mentioned it to the head pro who is a good friend but told him I wouldn't do any more than that. The cat just accepted the kicking when I got home and said "thank you sir may I have another?"

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Refuse to play a shot until he's stood still, out of your line of sight. Failing that I'd have possibly just kicked him in the nuts and walked off.

Beez
Chief FIFA negotiator.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Refuse to play a shot until he's stood still, out of your line of sight.

This for me too :thup:

I'm generally not too fussed where people stand etc but if he is clearly trying a bit of gamesmanship I would back off the shot and stare at him then ask if he had finished.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Trouble is you get people like this, best thing to do is ignore and try and beat them.

Remember a greensomes game a couple of years ago, my partner looked up while trying to putt to say to me "will you stop jangling whats in your pockets" i had my arms folded and we both looked at one of our oppo who was rattling whatever was in both pockets hard and fast.. it was hilarious.

he had been doing it on every putt, i just hadn't noticed

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did try that - each putt, "please can you move back" - then just as I've gone to hit the putt, he's stayed still then moved around at the key moment. Same with the tee shot. It was beyond being accidental.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
there was a group on a nearby tee as I lined my putt. they were all shouting & giggling & generally being a pain.

I shouted over for them to be quieter & they all apologised.

It is just plain rude & appalling behaviour.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Poor show and more than mere gamesmanship

So after you'd asked him to be still what was the answer to the inevitable question, I asked you to stand elsewhere/be still, so why did you move in my eye-line on my back swing?

D

Deleted member 15344

Would of ignored him throughout - beaten him and then told him how much of a nob he is when you finish

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trouble is I lost. Which would make it look like sour grapes if I said anything. I'd played with the guy the previous week in a roll-up and shot a -4 round so he had obviously decided to use alternative tactics. Oh well, at least I know I can come here for some sympathy, therapy and a chance to get it off my chest. :D

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have told him after the second time of asking if he did it again that you would be reporting his behavior. Then when he did it again walk off. If he is going to do it to you he will do it to anyone and some people do get intimidated by such and it's not on. We all go on about playing to the rules and reporting cheats/cheating and thats what he is doing.

Last edited: