The all things EV chat thread

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We found the mcs certificate but I don’t think we have been signed upto SEG scheme. I had been looking at zappi route so would need the eddi box to store the power ?
Also if I’m not selling any power back currently what’s happening to the power ? There’s a bunch of us on a WhatsApp group for the new estate and seems no one really knows what’s going on.

If you are not selling it back the grid are just getting it for free..

I believe you need the Eddi box but it doesn't store it just diverts the excess solar

Storing it would need a battery 🔋

HPIMG

Visit site
If you are not selling it back the grid are just getting it for free..

I believe you need the Eddi box but it doesn't store it just diverts the excess solar

Storing it would need a battery 🔋
Lol so my full estate are probably getting shafted, sounds about right.

So with the Eddi how does it know to divert it to the charging unit ?

I had a look at the batteries there between 9-13k seems the government are trying to make it expensive to get your own power.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lol so my full estate are probably getting shafted, sounds about right.

So with the Eddi how does it know to divert it to the charging unit ?

I had a look at the batteries there between 9-13k seems the government are trying to make it expensive to get your own power.

As much as I love to bash the gov it's not there fault, the cost of the batteries shot up with demand and supply issues

My battery I paid roughly 9k (Tesla) which was top end. Now that is up to 12k I believe .. just a year later

You can get batteries however a lot cheaper. Check out growatt

https://www.solarbatterygroup.co.uk...TJ37kcGH2J-aW3dKat0FF537sBHd3gFoaAlAOEALw_wcB

Just over 3k (plus install) for a smaller sized battery but ample for most household usages

The Eddi is just a smart system to divert the solar when it senses it going back down the grid

Tbh if you are looking at a battery don't bother as your excess will charge the battery so you won't be wasting it

HPIMG

Visit site
As much as I love to bash the gov it's not there fault, the cost of the batteries shot up with demand and supply issues

My battery I paid roughly 9k (Tesla) which was top end. Now that is up to 12k I believe .. just a year later

You can get batteries however a lot cheaper. Check out growatt

https://www.solarbatterygroup.co.uk/product/growatt-6-5kw-lithium-battery/?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Solar Battery Group&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=8066&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn9CgBhDjARIsAD15h0ACCca0Xs5WVuaMvaAQrvPTJ37kcGH2J-aW3dKat0FF537sBHd3gFoaAlAOEALw_wcB

Just over 3k (plus install) for a smaller sized battery but ample for most household usages

The Eddi is just a smart system to divert the solar when it senses it going back down the grid

Tbh if you are looking at a battery don't bother as your excess will charge the battery so you won't be wasting it
So if I order the eddi and the zappi charger they will know to work together and use the excess electricity?

D

Deleted member 31467

Not yet, the inconvenience outweighs the savings at the moment

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not yet, the inconvenience outweighs the savings at the moment

Rory at his best, comparing a Honda Civic Hybrid with a Mercedes EQS and a Tesla model 3. This Honda will easily get 60-80mpg AT 30MPH. If you drive an EV at 30mph, you'll get a lot more than 3 miles per kwh. The Honda he is driving is over £35,000, not £32,000 as stated and the saving is based on the Honda being driven at 30mph. Oops, forgot to mention the servicing cost £2-300 and road tax £180 for the Honda. Maybe he should try comparing it to a more comparable car like a new Nissan leaf which is cheaper than the Honda, faster than the Honda and has no emissions.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rory at his best, comparing a Honda Civic Hybrid with a Mercedes EQS and a Tesla model 3. This Honda will easily get 60-80mpg AT 30MPH. If you drive an EV at 30mph, you'll get a lot more than 3 miles per kwh. The Honda he is driving is over £35,000, not £32,000 as stated and the saving is based on the Honda being driven at 30mph. Oops, forgot to mention the servicing cost £2-300 and road tax £180 for the Honda. Maybe he should try comparing it to a more comparable car like a new Nissan leaf which is cheaper than the Honda, faster than the Honda and has no emissions.
I think the Leaf isn't a fair comparison as the cars compared are all of a comparable size and footprint, and the Leaf is much smaller.
If you care to look closer though, you will note that he is testing the sport version, which right now retails at £33k, and not £35k as you state.
The road tax arguement will be null and void soon anyway:)
Anyway, I found it quite interesting and that new Civic is definately something I would look at when the Mazda is replaced.:)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
All these comparisons of running costs of EV, PHEV and ICE are all very well, but thing that bothers me is the insane price of cars these days.

The last car I bought was in 2018 - a 1 year old Fabia 1.2 Tsi Estate. It cost £11k. It does everything I need - it's actually quite a nice car to drive given that my hooligan days are well behind me. Most of my motoring is short local journeys (averaging about 43mpg) with the occasional long trip (50+ mpg). I only do about 5000 miles a year, and probably spend about £750 a year on fuel. Road tax is £20.

So while the idea of an EV of some sort seems attractive, I cannot see any way it could ever make financial sense. Even charging it exclusively at home on the cheapest possible tarif would still cost about 1/3rd of the cost of petrol per mile. Given my low milage, I would *never* recoup the outlay. And those occasional long trips would become even longer (waiting for charging) and the public chargers would end up costing even more than petrol.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the Leaf isn't a fair comparison as the cars compared are all of a comparable size and footprint, and the Leaf is much smaller.
If you care to look closer though, you will note that he is testing the sport version, which right now retails at £33k, and not £35k as you state.
The road tax arguement will be null and void soon anyway:)

Are you saying the 3 EVs mentioned were comparable?
The Leaf is 61mm shorter, 52mm narrower but 132mm higher and if he was driving the sport, then the Leaf is £1000 more so as I said, comparable but not the £42,000 for the Tesla or the EQS which is £160,000 plus.

The road tax is still required until 2025.

I also notice you didn't mention the costing was based on the Honda doing 80mpg. So when driving in ideal conditions at urban speeds below 30mph he might get 80mpg. Who buys a sport version and does below 30mph?
Not to mention the servicing, the emissions and the extra insurance.
So while the idea of an EV of some sort seems attractive, I cannot see any way it could ever make financial sense. Even charging it exclusively at home on the cheapest possible tarif would still cost about 1/3rd of the cost of petrol per mile. Given my low milage, I would *never* recoup the outlay. And those occasional long trips would become even longer (waiting for charging) and the public chargers would end up costing even more than petrol.

So the cars are too expensive and charging takes too long?
I'll get on to Elon immediately and let him know.:(

Do you calculate the outlay recoup time for anything else you buy?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Even paying what you folks pay for one liter
to get an entire gallon of petrol, my
1964 Lincoln Continental's 8.8 liter Brodix aluminum V8 is getting to be a bit much to feed.

Upon restoration, the motorcar underwent a radical unibody to full-frame chassis reconfiguration.
This made a very heavy automobile even heavier, and it would take a lot of engine to encourage it to get out of its own way.

The ancient and worn 7 liter engine wasn't quite enough, so we went bigger.
Our engine builder didn't specialize in street engines.
He's a local legend at building 6.5 liter alcohol-fueled oval track engines, which are nothing like street engines.
They're started with an external starter, like the much more sophisticated Formula 1 cars, they have ludicrously high compression ratios burning alcohol,
and they have mechanical constant flow fuel injection rather than sequential electronic injection.

But he did a great job at building a 550 HP street motor which doesn't idle like a cement mixer and provides over 500 lbs ft of torque from 2400 rpm to redline.
Unfortunately, it gets about eight miles to the gallon if not pushed too hard. Such is the price of a roughly 6000 pound 60-year-old hot rodded car.
Essentially, it's just fully restored coachwork mounted onto a custom fabricated rolling chassis with a custom-built engine.

So now, with the internal combustion engine having served us since the late 19th Century, it seems that we're looking at electric cars.
I don't have the first clue about them, but I suspect most of them will remain as originally configured by the manufacturer rather than
"enhanced" as is the pleasure of North American hot rodders. Until we get to know them, of course.

I hope the kids don't sell the Lincoln when I die. There may never be one like it again.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you saying the 3 EVs mentioned were comparable?
The Leaf is 61mm shorter, 52mm narrower but 132mm higher and if he was driving the sport, then the Leaf is £1000 more so as I said, comparable but not the £42,000 for the Tesla or the EQS which is £160,000 plus.

The road tax is still required until 2025.

I also notice you didn't mention the costing was based on the Honda doing 80mpg. So when driving in ideal conditions at urban speeds below 30mph he might get 80mpg. Who buys a sport version and does below 30mph?
Not to mention the servicing, the emissions and the extra insurance.
You know full well the "sport" version is just a look. In fact most EV drivers I see in town seem to think every set of red lights is a chance to show Hamilton how to get away from standstill.
I'm not going to debate the rest of your post, as I don't doubt you know the difference in costs and particulates isn't that great in reality.:)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You know full well the "sport" version is just a look. In fact most EV drivers I see in town seem to think every set of red lights is a chance to show Hamilton how to get away from standstill.
I'm not going to debate the rest of your post, as I don't doubt you know the difference in costs and particulates isn't that great in reality.:)

Thoroughly agree. 🤣