The all things EV chat thread

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is hilarious. I have a model 3, went away for 2 weeks and came back and it went from 57% to 54%.
Doubt a traffic jam with the car turned on would diminish to zero unless they left the house at 3% and then the dreaded traffic jam hit. ? those pesky Tesla owners, just don’t know how to do it do they!
p.S you’re Tesla would be going bat crazy at you if you leave the house that low on battery so I call hearsay on that story

It was actually a bit of a joke from my colleague, one of our bosses has bought a Tesla as he's no longer on the road so he doesn't need the range now. He'd been in the traffic jam for around 6 hours I think as the motorway had closed but there were definitely two Teslas on the hard shoulder which he found hilarious.
As an aside, I have found that Tesla drivers are the new road terrorists and have surpassed BMW and Audi drives for being @rseholes :ROFLMAO:

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
It was actually a bit of a joke from my colleague, one of our bosses has bought a Tesla as he's no longer on the road so he doesn't need the range now. He'd been in the traffic jam for around 6 hours I think as the motorway had closed but there were definitely two Teslas on the hard shoulder which he found hilarious.
As an aside, I have found that Tesla drivers are the new road terrorists and have surpassed BMW and Audi drives for being @rseholes :ROFLMAO:
Haha perhaps but they probably pulled over to watch Netflix for the 6hrs or YouTube videos of how to break 80, rather than sit and crawl in that crappy traffic jam.
P.S I’m not an arseh@le of the road just letting you know ???

Miller

Visit site
I did think about getting an electric car when the PCP on my old car ran out. I got put off by a couple of things.

1) Upfront expense - EVs are still expensive
2) Charging - the time it takes to charge vs refuelling, and the confusing multitude of providers/apps.

I bought a PHEV (Volvo) so I'm aware of public charging points. It seems like every charging station I've come up to has a different provider and different app/account to set upo before you can charge (even the free charging at supermarkets). I guess eventually, I'll have downloaded all of the apps, but it just gets to be so much of a faff that I mainly just recharge at home.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha perhaps but they probably pulled over to watch Netflix for the 6hrs or YouTube videos of how to break 80, rather than sit and crawl in that crappy traffic jam.
P.S I’m not an arseh@le of the road just letting you know ???

?
Got to be honest, if they had the range that I require (I can do 300 or 400 miles a day on a bad day) I'd be all over a Tesla.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It seems like every charging station I've come up to has a different provider and different app/account to set upo before you can charge (even the free charging at supermarkets).

Downloading a free app once is a small price to pay for free fuel at the supermarket.

?
Got to be honest, if they had the range that I require (I can do 300 or 400 miles a day on a bad day) I'd be all over a Tesla.

300-400 miles in a day or one journey?

Miller

Visit site
Downloading a free app once is a small price to pay for free fuel at the supermarket.

Yes, that's absolutely fine. I'm just saying that it seems like every charger you approach requires you to download another app, set up another account, verify, the account, set up payment (even if the charger is free, other chargers from the same provider might charge), and then work out how the app works before you can charge.

The whole thing could (and should) be a whole lot simpler in operation.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, that's absolutely fine. I'm just saying that it seems like every charger you approach requires you to download another app, set up another account, verify, the account, set up payment (even if the charger is free, other chargers from the same provider might charge), and then work out how the app works before you can charge.

New chargers have to be made payable by contactless

There is even talk that you can plug into some and click remember me and it will auto charge your card

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

It will be eventually, once the manufacturers get their heads together.
We all have to have patience.
Until then, stick with your Volvo.
I'm sure in 5 years time, the decision will be much easier

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Drive there, charge your car while having lunch, drive home

That's not always an option. Pre pandemic I would often have to do 3/4/500 miles in a day, to building sites that don't have reliable power nevermind cae charging points.

I know that's not typical, and unless I need the toilet or fuel, I will do the drive without stopping. I don't like stopping for diesel as it adds to my journey time. I certainly don't want to have to sit and wait for my car to charge.

Once range isn't a problem, I'll have no problem going electric.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

I use instavolt when I need to. No app, no signing in just plug in and bleep your bank card. Bp ultimate are the same

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's not always an option. Pre pandemic I would often have to do 3/4/500 miles in a day, to building sites that don't have reliable power nevermind cae charging points.

I know that's not typical, and unless I need the toilet or fuel, I will do the drive without stopping. I don't like stopping for diesel as it adds to my journey time. I certainly don't want to have to sit and wait for my car to charge.

Once range isn't a problem, I'll have no problem going electric.
At some point you have to eat. If you're doing 500 miles a day you can run your 300 mile battery down to zero and charge an extra 200 miles in 40 minutes. Most instavolt chargers are at mcdonald's

BiMGuy

Visit site
At some point you have to eat. If you're doing 500 miles a day you can run your 300 mile battery down to zero and charge an extra 200 miles in 40 minutes. Most instavolt chargers are at mcdonald's

I do my eating before setting off in either direction. Like I said. When doing 3 hours in the car. The last thing I want to do is add another 40 minutes to that journey.

There are a few cars that I would consider buy that are getting closer to having an acceptable range. Just the cost of them is currently out of my range.

It's irrelevant anyway, as I have a couple of years left with my current car.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do my eating before setting off in either direction. Like I said. When doing 3 hours in the car. The last thing I want to do is add another 40 minutes to that journey.

There are a few cars that I would consider buy that are getting closer to having an acceptable range. Just the cost of them is currently out of my range.

It's irrelevant anyway, as I have a couple of years left with my current car.
Well then don't eat before you set out and leave earlier. You shouldn't be driving 400 miles without a rest. A 40 minute stop is not inconvenience. Sounds like your just looking for an excuse

BiMGuy

Visit site
Well then don't eat before you set out and leave earlier. You shouldn't be driving 400 miles without a rest. A 40 minute stop is not inconvenience. Sounds like your just looking for an excuse

I don't drive 400 miles without a break. I do 400 mile round trips.

And I don't need to make excuses. I don't want a battery powered car at the minute as they aren't suitable for what I need, and the only ones I'd want are out of my reach price wise.
In a couple of years I'm sure there will be more options and prices will soften. Or I might have a job that doesn't require the journeys I currently do.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't drive 400 miles without a break. I do 400 mile round trips.

And I don't need to make excuses. I don't want a battery powered car at the minute as they aren't suitable for what I need, and the only ones I'd want are out of my reach price wise.
In a couple of years I'm sure there will be more options and prices will soften. Or I might have a job that doesn't require the journeys I currently do.

I think that if we are really serious about climate change then jobs that require a lot of travel need to become less the norm. Or better managed so it's less here there and everywhere

Always been against the business jolly abroad just because when zoom will work.

BiMGuy

Visit site
I think that if we are really serious about climate change then jobs that require a lot of travel need to become less the norm. Or better managed so it's less here there and everywhere

Always been against the business jolly abroad just because when zoom will work.

I don't disagree. But It's a small piece of a very big pie.
Most of my work can be done from home. And the business has recognised that. But it's very difficult to build things sitting at home working in your pyjamas.

Sometimes you just need to be on site dealing with a problem.