The all things EV chat thread

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My brother has got himself an MG ZS full electric. He was previously spending £600 per month on diesel travelling to work and back and has now switched that to recharging at home and at work and paying car finance repayments instead. For his situation it works perfectly but unfortunately it's still not practical for me to go electric when towing the caravan or trailer.
I have a Skoda Superb iV which I've used for towing a caravan without any issues. No way at the moment an electric car is up to the task without lots of stops.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just placed a (fully cancellable) order for a Genesis GV60 EV.

Edit: I haven't driven it yet, but asked the sales guy about boot space and he told me he had already tried his golf bag in the boot!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I looked at Tesla, but didn't grab me. Great charging infrastructure, for sure.

It's mainly the shape and size for me. It would make the perfect replacement for the big car in a couple years

Maybe that new MG ev second hand to replace the Corsa then I'll be full EV

Tinkerman

Visit site
I took my golf clubs to the MG dealer last week and couldn't fit them in the boot of the MG ZS without taking the seats down, so currently considering the Kia Niro EV instead.
Missus doesn't want anything wider than the 5008 we have right now so that's ruling out a lot of the new models which seems to be wider than that (about 1830mm).
Given the lead time on home chargers, am considering using the standard socket in the garage until a proper unit can be fitted.
I can get the car through my business so weighing up whether to lease or purchase outright.
Would love to hear any tips!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I took my golf clubs to the MG dealer last week and couldn't fit them in the boot of the MG ZS without taking the seats down, so currently considering the Kia Niro EV instead.
Missus doesn't want anything wider than the 5008 we have right now so that's ruling out a lot of the new models which seems to be wider than that (about 1830mm).
Given the lead time on home chargers, am considering using the standard socket in the garage until a proper unit can be fitted.
I can get the car through my business so weighing up whether to lease or purchase outright.
Would love to hear any tips!

If can get buissness then 100% lease

How far do you drive a day?

Most people could just use the plug rather than wall charger just takes longer

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

Tinkerman

Visit site
If can get buissness then 100% lease

How far do you drive a day?

Most people could just use the plug rather than wall charger just takes longer
Good to know about the plug, thanks!
It's only really local travel, so may 5-15 miles a day and then 3-4 long trips a year (airport runs and the south coast, which is about 3 hours).
Buying outright is what I have advised by the accountant due to the high residual values available when selling. I can see the appeal of leasing though, as tech will no doubt move on quickly.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's only really local travel, so may 5-15 miles a day and then 3-4 long trips a year (airport runs and the south coast, which is about 3 hours).
Buying outright is what I have advised by the accountant due to the high residual values available when selling. I can see the appeal of leasing though, as tech will no doubt move on quickly.

Oh easily 100% that's manageable on the plug

I do 50 miles a day and get to charge at work off a 3 pin

Long as I charge for my entire shift I never need to charge at home

However I'd still fully recommend a home wall socket for ease of use and future proofing

If I charged at home using my granny cable it would take longer than the hours I get cheap but I have my charger set up to give me 5 hours at night

So that's potential for 35 kw a night at the cheap rate

I've never needed more yet

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

how much of those residual values are due to covid and the knock on effects of supply of some parts meaning a fall in supply of new cars etc. not saying they wont still be strong but be surprised if residual values are as high as a percentage of initial cost in 3 years time than they have been of late, expect from a maths perspective the calculation is actually quite close

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
how much of those residual values are due to covid and the knock on effects of supply of some parts meaning a fall in supply of new cars etc. not saying they wont still be strong but be surprised if residual values are as high as a percentage of initial cost in 3 years time than they have been of late, expect from a maths perspective the calculation is actually quite close

That would be my concern. I ordered the Ioniq 5 in November with an original delivery date of February. It’s slipped a few times and now looking like July/August. I’m in a couple of FB groups and there are people in my position who are now buying second hand and paying around the list price for new but they just don’t want to wait. Once the supply side is sorted I can’t see the resale values maintaining this level.

My other worry is the unknown of what tech will look like in 4 years? The Ioniq 5 already has an MY23 which has a larger battery and so more range. That’s just since I ordered. I didn’t want to risk high depreciation so I’ve leased this time round.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Saw this at the weekend parked up in a car park - https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/mazda-mx-30/ - Great looking EV

Really for the first time it tempted me to look to switch cars sooner - then I saw the range advertised is 124 miles.. so my question here is, would I even get that?

I commute down the motorway every day, 18.8 miles door to door (per trip) with usually about 10 ish miles of city driving thrown in as I potter around at lunch or when I get home.. Throw in heated seats for the winter etc.. will 124 be enough?

Thoughts please!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw this at the weekend parked up in a car park - https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/mazda-mx-30/ - Great looking EV

Really for the first time it tempted me to look to switch cars sooner - then I saw the range advertised is 124 miles.. so my question here is, would I even get that?

I commute down the motorway every day, 18.8 miles door to door (per trip) with usually about 10 ish miles of city driving thrown in as I potter around at lunch or when I get home.. Throw in heated seats for the winter etc.. will 124 be enough?

Thoughts please!
Take 1/4 off that, that could be generous. In winter it will be more, probably 1/3.

124 is feeble.