Would Club rules stop you from playing the club

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Would you blacklist a club based on its rules

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

Following on from Craws comments about putting some clubs on his blacklist because of their rule on long socks - how many people would also put a golf club on their blacklist based on the clubs rules - dress code , foursomes only etc ( try and not include the cost )

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Probably only being forced to play foursomes would turn me off playing a course - unless I've gone there to play a foursomes match...
Which is highly unlikely.
I go to a club to play a round of golf and, no matter how it gets spun, playing foursomes is playing half a round.
I'm guessing but courses that insist on foursomes being played are high end clubs that would cost a lot.
I'm not paying £100+ for half a round.
Can't think of anything else that would stop me....apart from cost but that's a separate argument.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No. Seems a very narrow minded approach. It's like anything, if you are investing a significant chunk of money into membership, do your homework first. Find out as much as you can about the club and their rules and make a balanced decision from there. I would definitely not blacklist a club for dress code, and having come from an era when jacket and tie were needed for the bar, especially in the evening, it feels a long way from those days at 99% of clubs. I wouldn't want to play foursomes regularly, but again I'd know from my research if that was a regular requirement and base a decision on that. If it was a top course and a lot of other boxes were ticked (good clubhouse, especially the atmosphere in the 19th - not cliquey, good practice facilities, ease of access from home/work, regular competition that were accessible to play in) then I might still bite the bullet for the sake of social golf. It would depend on the situation at that time.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
No. Seems a very narrow minded approach. It's like anything, if you are investing a significant chunk of money into membership, do your homework first. Find out as much as you can about the club and their rules and make a balanced decision from there. I would definitely not blacklist a club for dress code, and having come from an era when jacket and tie were needed for the bar, especially in the evening, it feels a long way from those days at 99% of clubs. I wouldn't want to play foursomes regularly, but again I'd know from my research if that was a regular requirement and base a decision on that. If it was a top course and a lot of other boxes were ticked (good clubhouse, especially the atmosphere in the 19th - not cliquey, good practice facilities, ease of access from home/work, regular competition that were accessible to play in) then I might still bite the bullet for the sake of social golf. It would depend on the situation at that time.

Please expand on your logic that having principles is narrow minded?

Is a vegetarian "narrow minded" because they have chosen not to eat meat?

Is a shopper who choses to buy organic "narrow minded" as that is what they want and choose to do?

Maybe think before labeling people as narrow minded.

🙄

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I am less inclined to play courses associated with elitism and sexism. I guess dress codes often go hand in hand with this.

And I wouldn't be seeking out to play somewhere that had a jacket & tie on arrival / departure.

My wider view is there are hundreds of good golf courses that I could access / play if I wanted to spend the money. Given my current rate of 2 or 3 'away days' a year - I'm never going to run out of great accessible courses with modern rules and values and could easily return to places I've been before rather than suit up for a day at Muirfield or Western Gailes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Please expand on your logic that having principles is narrow minded?

Is a vegetarian "narrow minded" because they have chosen not to eat meat?

Is a shopper who choses to buy organic "narrow minded" as that is what they want and choose to do?

Maybe think before labeling people as narrow minded.

🙄
In my opinion, basing a decision to blacklist a club, which by default would mean not wanting to play there based on their rules seems narrow minded as does simply deciding to not join on that basis without doing research further as per the examples I gave. Seeing how you brought consumer choices into the conversation, then this is also a consumer choice. Of course a vegetarian isn't narrow minded but would they be if they boycotted a restaurant that continued to serve meat dishes on the menu as well?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am less inclined to play courses associated with elitism and sexism. I guess dress codes often go hand in hand with this.

And I wouldn't be seeking out to play somewhere that had a jacket & tie on arrival / departure.

My wider view is there are hundreds of good golf courses that I could access / play if I wanted to spend the money. Given my current rate of 2 or 3 'away days' a year - I'm never going to run out of great accessible courses with modern rules and values and could easily return to places I've been before rather than suit up for a day at Muirfield or Western Gailes.
you only have to wear jacket and tie if you are having lunch at Muirfield and you don't have to at WG if you are a visitor, so its only you missing out on these great courses because you have it wrong

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
you only have to wear jacket and tie if you are having lunch at Muirfield and you don't have to at WG if you are a visitor, so its only you missing out on these great courses because you have it wrong

I'm not missing out on anything. I've got hundreds of great courses still to play and can still choose to play these if / when I want to.

Wolf

Visit site
1. Wouldn't join a club that insisted on foursomes

2. Wouldn't join a club that has a stuffy dress code where jacket and tie is insisted upon (I'd visit for a round but not join)

3. Wouldn't join where women aren't equal or where juniors get treated like 2nd class citizens

4. No stupid sock rules.

Wolf

Visit site
Failing to see how someone having principles could be deemed as narrow-minded in anyway whatsoever.

Especially as your next sentence also states "It's like anything, if you are investing a significant chunk of money into membership, do your homework first"

To some doing the homework could include these rules! Which probably are more narrow minded than the people your potentially stating are the narrow minded ones.

D

Deleted member 15344

In my opinion, there is a huge difference between joining a club and playing a course. There are courses that I would play and accept their rules, but again there are clubs which I would not join because of their rules.
Hence why it wasn’t about “joining” a club more about going to play a course

For example RSG only allow long socks if wearing shorts - now would someone say “nope I’m not playing there because of that rule “

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Again I wouldn't blacklist a club simply on the basis of playing format, dress code etc especially if it is somewhere like Rye (which I think still has a two ball/foursomes rule still in place) where it can be hard to get on. Similarly with places like Queenwood where it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have already said on the sock thread that again, in my opinion, if you are playing as a visitor anywhere, look up the dress code (or call if in any doubt) and stick to their own requirements and save possible embarrassment when you arrive

D

Deleted member 3432

Hence why it wasn’t about “joining” a club more about going to play a course

For example RSG only allow long socks if wearing shorts - now would someone say “nope I’m not playing there because of that rule “

Surely long socks defeats the reason for wearing shorts?

From my perspective I wouldn't be prepared to play anywhere that asked to dress looking like a ***.

Moot point anyway for me as I don't travel any distance from home for my golf. Other things in life to do rather than ticking another golf course off a list.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect I would accept most things to play a course once. Joining I would be far more particular.

Saying that last year I played a course in the peak of the dry/hot spell last year that preferred the wearing of long socks, banned the wearing of trainer socks. Had they insisted on long socks, they allowed ankle socks, then I would not have played there, it would have been horrible in that heat to wear long trousers or long socks and wearing long socks makes you look like a prize prat. On that I basis alone I voted yes. Had the weather been cooler then the rule becomes irrelevant so would not stop me playing there.

I've never come across a course that insists on foursomes. That's a new one on me but I would not play in that situation either.