Worrying times ahead for golf clubs

Teebs

Visit site
Are we at a point where we reduce costs and increase numbers to aid retention or increase costs and risk losing new blood?

Personally I see the earlier situation being key as this will also drive FB profits.

I definitely see a restriction on 2balls & 3balls at peak times as this will make more team times available allowing clubs to increase membership capacity.

Surely a healthy membership base is better overall. Like you say, this increases the F&B / pro-shop takings and also if members are signing in guests...

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are we at a point where we reduce costs and increase numbers to aid retention or increase costs and risk losing new blood?

Personally I see the earlier situation being key as this will also drive FB profits.

I definitely see a restriction on 2balls & 3balls at peak times as this will make more team times available allowing clubs to increase membership capacity.

Does F & B make a profit?

Mandofred

Visit site
That's where I am......I don't like that way of paying at all. It is in some golfers best interest though.....just not in mine (it's all about me me me:)). We have 2 slots we book on M/W/F (we book a month in advance) a few of us are paid up (£1200) members....the others don't like committing to playing or not so they don't put their names down until the last minute. You get occasional other people jumping in our your group (not very often). Heck, last Monday 2 of our players had their names down at 10:40 and then the pro jumped in on my time at 10:50 with a golfer he was giving a playing lesson with. Luckily, we had enough room to sneak out ahead of them....which turned into 5 players early that morning because they book in so late. They like the £700+ £5 for each play. I know that it is going up in price next season. At least £750 and maybe pushing to £800.

No problem with membership that I know of, the place is pretty packed most of the time. My biggest complaint is that Oakdale has so many visiting parties, special events etc. that it is hard at times to even play on our own course. I went up to Ripon today to play with a guy I know there.....most of the middle of the day at Oakdale was blocked out for an Open comp of some nature. Luckily we have a bunch of Reciprocal courses nearby. I think we have 16? reciprocals....some close, others too far to bother with. Can't play next Friday because of something else so we are heading to Scarcroft. Plenty of open tee times at Ripon though, we probably got around in a little over 3 hours today.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That would definitely appeal to me. Just slightly too far away but think that's a very good idea.
My first golf club was similar, as it was based at a public course it was only £100 for membership but you have to pay a green fee each time you play (which was around £20). My current club also has a 'lifestyle' membership which I think a lot do - where you pay £600 I think, but that just gets you a certain number of credits, so it costs you credits each time you play. The downside though is that these members are not allowed to enter any major comps I think. That's sort of a deal-breaker I think, for me anyway.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My first golf club was similar, as it was based at a public course it was only £100 for membership but you have to pay a green fee each time you play (which was around £20). My current club also has a 'lifestyle' membership which I think a lot do - where you pay £600 I think, but that just gets you a certain number of credits, so it costs you credits each time you play. The downside though is that these members are not allowed to enter any major comps I think. That's sort of a deal-breaker I think, for me anyway.

We used to have similar with play more golf, it only excluded 4 board comps but the main restriction was 1 week booking over 3 as a full member. We are now exiting casc and as such are stopping all flexi packages

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just left my club and was just about to sign on the dotted line for another when they informed me that they are increasing the rates by 20%.!!!!! ?. Pen was placed down and we left. 45 people have left the club since the announcement losing 45k of revenue for the club (on a 5 day). If my maths is correct that means they need 225 members to fill the void before they make a profit.
They must be confident to make such increase

Mandofred

Visit site
I've just left my club and was just about to sign on the dotted line for another when they informed me that they are increasing the rates by 20%.!!!!! ?. Pen was placed down and we left. 45 people have left the club since the announcement losing 45k of revenue for the club (on a 5 day). If my maths is correct that means they need 225 members to fill the void before they make a profit.
They must be confident to make such increase
My current club has been on £1200 for a couple of years....I expect it to go to at least £1300 in April. 20% seems a bit steep, but I think some clubs might still be thinking that the boom in golf is going to continue. Can't see that myself with the cost of living going up like it is.

D-S

Visit site
I’d be surprised if the average subs increase for next year isn’t very close to 10%. If you look at wage, fuel and course machinery/suppplies inflation clubs will need do this otherwise they will have to reduce current services in some way.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We've been £1000 for a while. Missives coming out telling us to expect a hike next year.

AGM is third week of November where it gets voted on. I expect lots of old gits who can easily afford an increase, and play 5 rounds a week will kick off at the meeting.

I don't expect any increase to make me leave...within reason

D-S

Visit site
We've been £1000 for a while. Missives coming out telling us to expect a hike next year.

AGM is third week of November where it gets voted on. I expect lots of old gits who can easily afford an increase, and play 5 rounds a week will kick off at the meeting.

I don't expect any increase to make me leave...within reason
I thought Newport was more than that, I played a match with your manager recently and we discussed fees and we said that a few years ago ours and yours were a lot closer so I assume there have only been minimal increases over the past few years.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I thought Newport was more than that, I played a match with your manager recently and we discussed fees and we said that a few years ago ours and yours were a lot closer so I assume there have only been minimal increases over the past few years.

There have been low increases over the past few years, and we've messed around with the amount of bar levy too to minimise the shocks!!

Just checked, my bill for current year, inc bar levy (50 quid I think) and locker fee £25 was £1150.

So my original post was 150 out! (Minus levy and locker)

I expect a total of £1300 to arrive... exclude St Pierre and Celtic Manor and Newport is expensive for the area, but it's probably the nicest members club for many miles!

Divide by 52, equates to £25 a week. But, over the emotive £100 per calendar month!

Not too bad really. (Hope I'm not on here going mad at the end of November!)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are taking on 30 members on a new limited tee time membership (7 day pms after 2pm only) category at £1000 a head. The £30k to supplement our surplus to cope with significantly increased power charges.

[Edit]I’ve updated this later in the thread

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the place I was just about to join I think it's crazy that the costs are going up to prop up a bar/club house that most people are not using. You've just got to let go man!!!!!!

Albo

Visit site
We are taking on 30 members on a new limited tee time membership (7 day pms after 2pm only) category at £1000 a head. The £30k to supplement our surplus to cope with significantly increased power charges.
I’d like this as an option, work 8-4 and weekends sees me taking kids to football both mornings, so unusual for me to play before 2pm most days