Worrying times ahead for golf clubs

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Posted earlier about clubs almost shooting themselves in the foot.

Played in our monthly society meet at some of the players in the society's club. Great course, clubhouse almost always open and attracts plenty of pay and play too.

20 of us playing 9 in the morning, lunch and 18 in the afternoon. They have a halfway house on the 9th, play the 10th and walk past it again towards the 11th. Closed. The course was very busy, guaranteed 20 of us passing it in the morning and afternoon. I know we were having lunch but for drinks snacks etc it missed out on this potential money plus the rest from the other golfers. I don't understand it. The members said it's not always open on a Saturday too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
London Bridge. the problem isn’t the beer it’s the service charge on every round that bumps the cost by 25%
This is hurting my head. You get a service charge in a pub o_O? Can you ask for it to be removed?

Do they do anything special for this, roller blade it to your table, sing opera as they pour etc?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Posted earlier about clubs almost shooting themselves in the foot.

Played in our monthly society meet at some of the players in the society's club. Great course, clubhouse almost always open and attracts plenty of pay and play too.

20 of us playing 9 in the morning, lunch and 18 in the afternoon. They have a halfway house on the 9th, play the 10th and walk past it again towards the 11th. Closed. The course was very busy, guaranteed 20 of us passing it in the morning and afternoon. I know we were having lunch but for drinks snacks etc it missed out on this potential money plus the rest from the other golfers. I don't understand it. The members said it's not always open on a Saturday too.

getting someone to serve in the hut £10p/h wage, plus NI and Pension contributions, A/L cover etc etc, plus the energy costs of running the cooking, kettle whatever. Then the mark up on food is not massive like on alcohol, so probably the amount of money they would have made in profit would not be actually too much

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is hurting my head. You get a service charge in a pub o_O? Can you ask for it to be removed?

Do they do anything special for this, roller blade it to your table, sing opera as they pour etc?

Worst of it was it’s was 2pm, only 10 max in a back street pub and we was standing next to the moretti pump. He had to carry the pint 18inchs!

I asked if I could pour my own next time in humour which wasn’t well received. It seems since covid every central London venue has added a service charge in an event to recoup costs, I’ve only once asked for a service charge to be removed and when questioned why … “ the table service was appalling and I had to go to the bar just to get my pint which had been sitting there for 20mins plus”

I think with central London the service charge has become the norm, rather like the states.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
getting someone to serve in the hut £10p/h wage, plus NI and Pension contributions, A/L cover etc etc, plus the energy costs of running the cooking, kettle whatever. Then the mark up on food is not massive like on alcohol, so probably the amount of money they would have made in profit would not be actually too much

No HWH also helps keep play moving.

evemccc

Visit site
Worst of it was it’s was 2pm, only 10 max in a back street pub and we was standing next to the moretti pump. He had to carry the pint 18inchs!

I asked if I could pour my own next time in humour which wasn’t well received. It seems since covid every central London venue has added a service charge in an event to recoup costs, I’ve only once asked for a service charge to be removed and when questioned why … “ the table service was appalling and I had to go to the bar just to get my pint which had been sitting there for 20mins plus”

I think with central London the service charge has become the norm, rather like the states.

Example #489 of how this country is becoming more like the US, and how it’s not making things better

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Example #489 of how this country is becoming more like the US, and how it’s not making things better

Exactly. You’ll drive people out of pubs, the industry will get hammered and it will be our fault. Then the tax earned will be lost and our taxes will go up to balance the books. And so the cycle begins

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Honesty box. Played a few courses that do this.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is going to go round and around in my head for today, tomorrow and probably the next day. It's a wow moment. Crackers.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
So no halfways on any course?

You order on the 9th pick up on your way to the 11th? Isn't that how it works?

I’ve only seen that at a couple of course. Great if it works. The HWH is an absolute pain in the backside if there are tables and chairs for people to sit at.

evemccc

Visit site
If I was given a service charge for a pint when stood at the bar I would actually burst out laughing. Absolutely no obligation to pay any more than the price of the pint.

I think businesses will try it on..they always do see what they can get away with - we must HOLD THE LINE!!

I remember as a student all of the naff bars with terrible dance music that thought they were trendy, would hire some bloke to stand in the loo and try and turn the taps on for you and give you some crappy aftershave..like Joop or something

None of the decent pubs with cask conditioned ales, or clubs I liked would ever have done that years ago…worrying that it’s a trend now in London everywhere