Worrying times ahead for golf clubs

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think businesses will try it on..they always do see what they can get away with - we must HOLD THE LINE!!

I remember as a student all of the naff bars with terrible dance music that thought they were trendy, would hire some bloke to stand in the loo and try and turn the taps on for you and give you some crappy aftershave..like Joop or something

None of the decent pubs with cask conditioned ales, or clubs I liked would ever have done that years ago…worrying that it’s a trend now in London everywhere

That comparison made me laugh.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Worst of it was it’s was 2pm, only 10 max in a back street pub and we was standing next to the moretti pump. He had to carry the pint 18inchs!

I asked if I could pour my own next time in humour which wasn’t well received. It seems since covid every central London venue has added a service charge in an event to recoup costs, I’ve only once asked for a service charge to be removed and when questioned why … “ the table service was appalling and I had to go to the bar just to get my pint which had been sitting there for 20mins plus”

I think with central London the service charge has become the norm, rather like the states.
I must not have been drinking in central for a while as I've never seen a service charge in a humble pub before. :oops:

Visit site
Given the Scottish drink drive limits I very rarely have a pint anyway. A shandy is my limit and as I can’t stand Tennents or Belhaven I often can’t be bothered. The prices of low/zero alcohol drinks are already a joke and I don’t see that getting any better.

Price of coffee is what bothers me most. I fear it’s going to jump soon.

It has already. I’m a black Americano man so no big increase for me just yet but friend in cafe trade says he’s put a £1 on latte’s, cappuccinos and most of the milk based coffees and hot drinks.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Posted earlier about clubs almost shooting themselves in the foot.

Played in our monthly society meet at some of the players in the society's club. Great course, clubhouse almost always open and attracts plenty of pay and play too.

20 of us playing 9 in the morning, lunch and 18 in the afternoon. They have a halfway house on the 9th, play the 10th and walk past it again towards the 11th. Closed. The course was very busy, guaranteed 20 of us passing it in the morning and afternoon. I know we were having lunch but for drinks snacks etc it missed out on this potential money plus the rest from the other golfers. I don't understand it. The members said it's not always open on a Saturday too.
You're not always going to have every tee slot filled, and you're not always getting 4balls coming through, and then most won;t bother as they'll have their drinks and snacks in their bag. It's barely worth the wage.

My away club has a HWH now opened again after years where it wasn't, but only on Saturday medal day because of course you've got 8x 3 balls coming through solid for about 7-8 hours.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're not always going to have every tee slot filled, and you're not always getting 4balls coming through, and then most won;t bother as they'll have their drinks and snacks in their bag. It's barely worth the wage.

My away club has a HWH now opened again after years where it wasn't, but only on Saturday medal day because of course you've got 8x 3 balls coming through solid for about 7-8 hours.

We went past in twice in the day, 5 4balls and the course was very busy all day. Yes, some will have drinks/snacks but may buy something else. As I said it isn't always open on a Saturday too which they find strange as the course is packed.

For me on the outside it seems like lost revenue for the club's. I could be wrong but would have thought they'd do as much as possible to get any extra money in.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The cost of a pint in London… that can fug right off. Met with a customer last week in an empty pub at lunch, two moretti’s were £8.00 each and there was a £4.50 service - we were sat at the dam bar!!!!!

He'd have had 2 pints of Moretti sat on the bar and a view of my back as I walked out if he'd tried that on.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He'd have had 2 pints of Moretti sat on the bar and a view of my back as I walked out if he'd tried that on.

When you’re with a high profile client it isnt an option, but he did say “ **** ordering another in here, “

We subsequently moved on and got rather wobbly somewhere else so the pub lost out on excess of £150 due to the greed of a service charge.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Not sure what other clubs are like but that lots of jobs are done by member-volunteers — green keeping assistant, bar-staff, and then members who are tradesmen advise and help out on certain things with regards the water, guttering, heating etc

evemccc

Visit site
When you’re with a high profile client it is an option, but he did say “ **** ordering another in here, “

We subsequently moved on and got rather wobbly somewhere else so the pub lost out on excess of £150 due to the greed of a service charge.
love it!

sunshine

Visit site
London Bridge. the problem isn’t the beer it’s the service charge on every round that bumps the cost by 25%

What pub was this? I’m out near London Bridge later. Standard practice in hotel bars and where there is table service but never seen it in a pub!

Springveldt

Visit site
The cost of a pint in London… that can fug right off. Met with a customer last week in an empty pub at lunch, two moretti’s were £8.00 each and there was a £4.50 service - we were sat at the dam bar!!!!!
Can you refuse to pay the service charge? If not I'd have told them to keep the pints at that price and walked out. No way am I paying an extra 25% for someone to pour me a pint.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have to wonder the legitimacy of that. If the service charge is compulsory and charged per drink then surely it has to be advertised as part of the cost.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You have to wonder the legitimacy of that. If the service charge is compulsory and charged per drink then surely it has to be advertised as part of the cost.

I could have questioned it and no doubt challenged it but in the company I was in it wasn’t the right thing to do, IMHO.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could have questioned it and no doubt challenged it but in the company I was in it wasn’t the right thing to do, IMHO.

Totally agree in your circumstance. Just cannot see in general tems how it is legit. It would be like me having a restaurant offering £1.00 steaks but each has a £50.00 compulsory service charge.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Given I know the area fairly well, I guess Oakdale have been suffering from a reduced membership base given the volume of clubs in that area. It's a good scheme but they're battling against Harrogate, Pannal, Rudding Park & North Leeds clubs for members...
Isn't the average for the area around £1,200? This offer is brilliant value and they could well pick up a good number of golfers.

Whether it is good for the club or not...........? Interesting stuff

(I love Oakdale. Played it a good number of times, lovely course, clubhouse etc.)

Teebs

Visit site
I think you're right, £1,200 would be about the average for that area. Could work really well and it's good to see courses trying something new and different..

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are we at a point where we reduce costs and increase numbers to aid retention or increase costs and risk losing new blood?

Personally I see the earlier situation being key as this will also drive FB profits.

I definitely see a restriction on 2balls & 3balls at peak times as this will make more team times available allowing clubs to increase membership capacity.