Worldwide Premier - My New Backswing

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So here it is ladies and gentlemen, the moment you didn't know you'd been waiting for, the worldwide premier of my new backswing after a couple of weeks of lessons. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and the downswing needs a bit of work but it's a million times better than it was two weeks ago when I looked like I was chopping down a tree. I'm pretty sure my pro will rip it apart next week when I see him but was interested what you all thought. Admittedly, the lighting is crap so you probably can't see everything you'd like to but it's the best I've got.

[video]http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/RkA72bh4[/video]

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know (almost) nothing, but I really like the way the club drops at the top.

It might be the silhouette effect playing tricks on my eyes, but the thing that screams out to me on the first watch is that it looks to me like you have very little lag in your swing.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know (almost) nothing, but I really like the way the club drops at the top.

It might be the silhouette effect playing tricks on my eyes, but the thing that screams out to me on the first watch is that it looks to me like you have very little lag in your swing.

I do indeed have very little lag, it's something my pro picked up on that needs improving but the first step is to get a better start and top position. I wish I had a video of what I was doing before to show as there is a huge difference to now.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What was going on before and what was the result of your previous backswing?

I'll try to explain in the absense of video evidence. My hands were very low at address and I was further from the ball. From memory, the shaft angle at address was about 39deg as opposed to the 58 it is now and my backswing was very flat. A lot of my shots were thin and I was never much of a divot taker even when I made good contact.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Does seem a reasonable back-swing, though there seems to be a balance issue - demonstrated by your head diving forward in sync - and there is no pause at the top (observation, not an issue).

Down-swing is a bit different though. Nice and all that that drop (onto plane for a 2=planer) is, should it really happen? It certainly makes the down-swing shallow again. You also seem to Drag rather than Drive the club into impact almost driven by the neck rather than the thorax and core (1-planer) or hips/legs (2-planer). Definitely very little lag - keeping the right wrist bent as long as possible might help. Plenty to work on next. Good Luck.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does seem a reasonable back-swing, though there seems to be a balance issue - demonstrated by your head diving forward in sync - and there is no pause at the top (observation, not an issue).

Down-swing is a bit different though. Nice and all that that drop (onto plane for a 2=planer) is, should it really happen? It certainly makes the down-swing shallow again. You also seem to Drag rather than Drive the club into impact almost driven by the neck rather than the thorax and core (1-planer) or hips/legs (2-planer). Definitely very little lag - keeping the right wrist bent as long as possible might help. Plenty to work on next. Good Luck.

Cheers, the transition and downswing does need a lot of work which hasn't even started yet and I suspect that is where it is going to get difficult :D

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where does the clubshaft point at the top of the backswing if you hinge your wrists fully?

Watch this space Bob, I couldn't tell you at the moment. Next time I get to the range I'll see what I can do. I could try it tonight in the garden but hitting a ball would probably be better.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The plane of the backswing looks OK but you still have to incorporate some wrist hinge into that backswing which you are not doing.

I don't like the downswing or your wrist position at the top but I do like the hip/knee action you have through the ball.

Seems like you're making the process very complicated..... but as long as you are enjoying it that's all that matters.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would not try adding lag at this time. Carry on with getting the club on plane and from the inside, you are making a good job of that, well done. Steve Stricker does a pretty good job with a swing like yours. You can work on some more lag if you need it later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w33kppJ5Mas

If I can strike the ball like I did with that swing regularly I'll take it for now

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The plane of the backswing looks OK but you still have to incorporate some wrist hinge into that backswing which you are not doing.

I don't like the downswing or your wrist position at the top but I do like the hip/knee action you have through the ball.

Seems like you're making the process very complicated..... but as long as you are enjoying it that's all that matters.

What don't you like about the wrist position JO? Just the lack of hinge?

The downswing work hasn't even started yet, just trying to get into a better position at the top

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This does seem to be a slightly peculiar way to change a swing - sequentially concentrating on the back-swing, transition then down-swing.

Is it something your Pro proposed? Or simply agreed to. I don't think building a golf swing is done the same as building a car!

If anything, the Down-swing or impact position first would seem more 'logical' to me. Remember Cat 1 Milesoverpar's 24 handicap swing and scratch impact position!

Still. I'll wait to see how things work out.

@Bob. any thoughts on the method?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This does seem to be a slightly peculiar way to change a swing - sequentially concentrating on the back-swing, transition then down-swing.

Is it something your Pro proposed? Or simply agreed to. I don't think building a golf swing is done the same as building a car!

If anything, the Down-swing or impact position first would seem more 'logical' to me. Remember Cat 1 Milesoverpar's 24 handicap swing and scratch impact position!

Still. I'll wait to see how things work out.

@Bob. any thoughts on the method?

It's not really a method or been proposed, just that my backswing was awful and needed changing, I've only had two lessons and as I said, this is how it looks right now and my pro will probably rip it apart next week. We've spoken about the downswing, lack of lag etc etc but I'm not sure how I can get a good transition and downswing from a bad top position and I don't see how I can try to change it all at the same time?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What don't you like about the wrist position JO? Just the lack of hinge?

The downswing work hasn't even started yet, just trying to get into a better position at the top

Firstly I'm dubious of that view and the software... seems swingreader gives some funny looking angles.

It doesn't look like you hinge or set the club properly, your left wrist looks bowed, the club is laid off and barely gets past vertical. you right elbow also looks like it's unconnected from your body and the angle of your right forearm at the top of your swing is too laid off from that of your spine angle. I'm not sure what 'feel' or move might specifically work for you.... perhaps feel like you hinge the club a little more and have NO rotation in your left forearm (ie feel like your left arm swings the club up more vertical up and over your shoulder rather than laying the club off behind you)

Possibly just start from the top of your swing, set the club where you want it.. then hit from there (a bit like the 'pump' drill). Your body will figure out how to get the club into the set position if you start from there often enough.

edit (here's a vid of a pretty standard swing iron swing... look at the position of the right forearm at the top of the swing in relation to the spine angle) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc8pkA8RYfk Yes you can get it a little more vertical..... with a driver maybe.... but then you're going to be standing more upright..... here's one for Rory.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCCWXI5bJ3g

Last edited: