World Handicap System

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think of an explanation contains a raft of formulae, who ever designed the process has failed.

This one pager is well written. I will be circulating it :) Although it does not cover the issue here where an improved score entering the "best 8" resulted in an increase for the player.

Once a player's handicap is within 3 shots of their low index, then their actual index is simply the average of their lowest 8 score differentials, no further downward adjustments.

2.9 and lower, or 3.0 and lower? :)

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If an HI is subject to a cap, how can you see that on the App?

You cannot see it but if you have been monitoring you can see that it has happened. It affects decimal points changes not just whole numbers. E.G say you were expecting an increase to 10.7 this might come out as 10.6.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still adjusting to the new system and the way it values form over ability.

Up until now I've felt pressure to score well as I always seemed to be "defending" good scores that were coming off. A dodgy start to the season meant my handicap was rising and in danger of getting worryingly high had that run continued. Whereas under the old system it'd probably have gone up by less than a whole shot.

I've hit some better form and most of my really good historical scores have come off so now four of my last five rounds are decent and counting towards my handicap. And three of the other four aren't particularly great so I feel there's only one properly "good" score going to come off in the next 15 rounds. So it's interestingly that, mentally, I feel I've shifted from a defensive mode to the feeling that I've got a good run at bringing it down over the rest of the season.

And also aware that another form slump next year will see the possibility of quick increases as the current good run of scores drop off.

Still haven't decided if I like this or the old Congu system better but certainly finding it interesting.
I am sort of in the same boat.
But played well for six weeks cap came down but all scores bunched together.
So a slight slump lately and all my good scores have disappeared in two weeks which puts a bit of pressure on to score well.
Not sure about this system myself.
Seems to volatile for my liking.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am sort of in the same boat.
But played well for six weeks cap came down but all scores bunched together.
So a slight slump lately and all my good scores have disappeared in two weeks which puts a bit of pressure on to score well.
Not sure about this system myself.
Seems to volatile for my liking.

Do you mean your handicap doesn’t reflect your (own) perceived ability……

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you mean your handicap doesn’t reflect your (own) perceived ability……
In my head I can still play off 1.
In reality I can’t . My scores prove that.
But this system can throw up wildly different numbers.
You can have a bad period and go up to double digits.
Then hit form and your winning by a mile .
That just didn’t happen under the old system.
Both have merits ,but both have flaws imo.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You exaggerate a tad. Your handicap can't go up from 1 into double figures just like that. There is a limit to how much it can go up in any 12 month period.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You exaggerate a tad. Your handicap can't go up from 1 into double figures just like that. There is a limit to how much it can go up in any 12 month period.
Yes just a tad.
But the variance is much bigger in a short period of time than it used to be.
I was thinking more guys off 7/8 who have a bad run and end up off 10/11.
Then very capable of shooting level par .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play with one of those... he went from 5 to 8 and off 8 he shot under par gross on two occasions!
Yes I have seen it myself.
At ours nobody really beat 65 net for years.
Now 65 you just about get in the top 5.
I have never seen so many really stupid low scores.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes just a tad.
But the variance is much bigger in a short period of time than it used to be.
I was thinking more guys off 7/8 who have a bad run and end up off 10/11.
Then very capable of shooting level par .

Is it such a bad thing if your handicap more quickly responds to changes both ways in your performance? The CONGU system was quick in only one direction.

Par isn't a good measure, by the way. Better to look at the relationship between course rating and gross score.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Biggest moan under old system - HC increases unfair, to slow.

WHS - HC increase to fast.

Anyone got a solution.

So, we could have just changed the non buffer increase to 0.2 (or 3) and saved ourselves all this aggro??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In fairness to WHS, I really like the concept of Course Handicaps. I am sure I could have designed something less complicated that achieved most of the same ends, without the need for algorithms and formulae!

WHS is like owning a Mercedes. Every week you learn about a new feature that no one told you was there!!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, we could have just changed the non buffer increase to 0.2 (or 3) and saved ourselves all this aggro??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In fairness to WHS, I really like the concept of Course Handicaps. I am sure I could have designed something less complicated that achieved most of the same ends, without the need for algorithms and formulae!

WHS is like owning a Mercedes. Every week you learn about a new feature that no one told you was there!!

The bit about formula and algorithms is the bit I can’t understand what people are concerned about. Know your HI, walk to board, CH, move to next board and all the % worked out for you.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
The bit about formula and algorithms is the bit I can’t understand what people are concerned about. Know your HI, walk to board, CH, move to next board and all the % worked out for you.

You are absolutely right of course.... just look at the App, and go play.

Until I get my wife moaning at me when a lower score goes in her "best 8" and her HI goes up! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No one said "soft cap" for several days till Louise raised it!

Adoption of any new system depends on:
1) Acceptance of requirement
2) Clear path for adoption
3) Credibility of solution

Golf auths had a tough job with WHS, and should have done better on all of these 3.

Swango1980

Visit site
There is another board with all the playing handicap percentages? I've not seen this yet at any club I've been to. Thankfully, for competitions, my club has your course and playing handicap already printed on the card, otherwise I'd imagine there'd be a lot of mistakes made by club golfers.