World Handicap System

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
There was no mention of competitions in the point that I was replying to....

no mention of comps in that is there???
It's implied, why on earth would you be self-adjusting if not for a competition? You didn't need to self-adjust for a supplementary score because it was just a gross score

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Certainly getting a lot doing it our club. In 2020 prior to the WHS starting we had a major campaign at our club to get players putting in as many Supplementary Cards (which was asked for at the workshops).

Several of the friendly swindles/rollups (not club organised) are encouraging all in the swindle to do it.
We had almost no Supplementary's under the old system, so it has increased, but not by very much it has to be said. We did an education programme over the winter, but had very little effect it seems. Be interesting to see the stats when the year is out if CONGU nations release them

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Low handicappers generally want to know what they're at, and what they've just done, sorry it doesn't apply to you, but even some higher handicappers are the same, it's not about manipulation, it's about understanding. I'd say the majority in our comps are grumbling about it, I've yet to hear anyone praise it, so that kinda tells you a lot.

The only praise that's about is the ease of submitting non-competitive scores, and on that I'd agree as well.

Exactly the opposite here.

I would struggle to think of one of my members who doesn't think that WHS is a big improvement - and that applies to high and low handicappers alike.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly the opposite here.

I would struggle to think of one of my members who doesn't think that WHS is a big improvement - and that applies to high and low handicappers alike.
I believe this to be the case at my club. Not heard any grumbles about WHS in principle - plenty though about club‘s decision to make the larger organised ‘tee reservation’ rollups WHS ’qualifier’ rounds.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apart from the few who had very few scores to convert we've really had few issues. And once they were sorted and got an explanation they were all happy.
The few who do complain admit they haven't bothered to read even the most superficial information. The seniors in particular really seem to like the course handicap/slope.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As I've said before in the Forum the majority of our regular playing members are very positive about WHS. They have submitted cards, both competition and GP, and their Handicap Indexes are reflecting their current playing ability. The net is that our comps are now being contested by a much wider group of members - I think that's a good thing.

It's responsive if you choose to add cards - and many do - and has all the old failings of the old system if people choose to manipulate it.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have entered a slight negative side to WHS this week, playing 4 competitive rounds in Scotland, unlike in previous years when they were automatically reflected in my handicap due to CONGU, the cards need to be manually entered, but we have to wait to get PCCs. As it happens it does not affect my handicap as only the last round affects my top 8 and the cards I am losing don't affect things either. It could well have affected others though.

NearHull

Visit site
We have a member whom we suspect is building a handicap. We don’t have any hard evidence that stands on its own to provide proof, however there are various strong indicators. One trait we can identify is that he pre registers for the Front 9 and returns that score, but we believe that he is playing all 18 holes with friends. I’m not sure how that helps, unless he throws some early holes and then ‘recovers‘ in the back 9 to win. He is that talented that he would be able to do that.
Is it permissible in the Rules of Handicaps to return a 9 hole GP score (having registered for 9 holes) when the intention is to play 18 holes? I can’t find anything to rule that he cannot do so.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it permissible in the Rules of Handicaps to return a 9 hole GP score (having registered for 9 holes) when the intention is to play 18 holes? I can’t find anything to rule that he cannot do so.
There is no rule preventing it.
It may be worth having an 'innocent' word with the 'friends' to see how well he plays the back 9.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never understood putting a card in for 9 holes. Unless you play a nine hole course.!
It’s an 18 hole game where you have to play consistent golf.
Maybe we need two handicaps 18/9 holes.
how much does a 9 hole card affect someone’s hcap ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Another piece of interesting piece of info today. The club has a group of 30-40 players who play every weekend in a roll up (sometimes twice if no comp on). I asked if they tend to put cards in for handicap or not bother? I was told they agree to put scores in if they score 38 points or better.

There is nothing malicious about this, and they clearly believe this is the honourable thing. But just goes to show clubs need to have committees absolutely on the ball to stop this happening. I reckon very few clubs have control on this, outside the clubs represented by the well informed within this forum.