World Handicap System

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin - currently you effectively would play off 17 at Dunaverty (I loved playing it too one June evening about 6 years ago but got lost halfway round!) and 23 at Carnoustie in competitions- the differences between SSS and par.
Is Scotland parting from CONGU and applying the (CR - par) adjustment? When did Sturgeon get appointed to the Scottish Golf board?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Colin - currently you effectively would play off 17 at Dunaverty (I loved playing it too one June evening about 6 years ago but got lost halfway round!) and 23 at Carnoustie in competitions- the differences between SSS and par.

So WHS seems (as a simplification) to adjust your handicap before rather than after play.
That"s not the case. At the moment you would play off the same handicap, but would need fewer Stableford points to play to handicap at Carnoustie than you would at Dunaverty.
Under WHS you will play off a higher handicap (unless you are a scratch or better player) at Carnoustie than you would at Dunaverty. You will still though require fewer stableford points to play to handicap at Carnoustie than you will at Dunaverty (the difference between Course Ratings).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do people keep relating stableford points to playing to handicap? Stableford scores make no allowance for all the duff net bogeys you score. It is not a measure of how well or badly you really played. IMV it is cheating yourself.

Playing to handicap is simply, gross strokes minus handicap compared to the course rating. Add your handicap to the CR and that's it.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
That"s not the case. At the moment you would play off the same handicap, but would need fewer Stableford points to play to handicap at Carnoustie than you would at Dunaverty.
Under WHS you will play off a higher handicap (unless you are a scratch or better player) at Carnoustie than you would at Dunaverty. You will still though require fewer stableford points to play to handicap at Carnoustie than you will at Dunaverty (the difference between Course Ratings).
The number of Stableford points needed to play to handicap on each of the courses would only be relevant if you were running a stableford competition in which some players played Dunaverty and others played Carnoustie, a somewhat bizarre proposition it has to be said. And it is the relationship of SSS to Par (shortly to become CR to Par) on each that determines how many points are needed, not SSS/CR.

@DickInShorts
Dunaverty is one of only two courses I can play hole by hole in my head. My avatar photo is taken from the above the 17th green looking over the mouth of the Conieglen Water to Sanda Island. I can claim fame by proxy as my father once held the amateur course record. You have seen me play and will appreciate that I did not exactly inherit his talent.

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The number of Stableford points needed to play to handicap on each of the courses would only be relevant if you were running a stableford competition in which some players played Dunaverty and others played Carnoustie, a somewhat bizarre proposition it has to be said. And it is the relationship of SSS to Par (shortly to become CR to Par) on each that determines how many points are needed, not SSS/CR.

@DickInShorts
Dunaverty is one of only two courses I can play hole by hole in my head. My avatar photo is taken from the above the 17th green looking over the mouth of the Conieglen Water to Sanda Island. I can claim fame by proxy as my father once held the amateur course record. You have seen me play and will appreciate that I did not exactly inherit his talent.

I used stableford to indicate the effect how you scored would effect your handicap at those two courses and in response to DickInShorts assertain that WHS is no different to the current CONGU system in respect to how many shots you recieve at those two courses.

I remember little of the course at Dunaverty as I was too busy admiring the stunniung views.

DickInShorts

Visit site
I wasn’t trying to imply that WHS would be no different to currently - just a simple explanation of the One of the major differences between the two systems. I think WHS will be better as slope takes handicap index into account When determining how many strokes you should take around a course to play to nett par.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I wasn’t trying to imply that WHS would be no different to currently - just a simple explanation of the One of the major differences between the two systems. I think WHS will be better as slope takes handicap index into account When determining how many strokes you should take around a course to play to nett par.
Still confused by your thinking. WHS will not change the score you need to play to net par, it will still be 36 stableford points.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
What has net par to do with playing to your handiicap? If gross score minus handicap strokes equals sss you’ve played to handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still confused by your thinking. WHS will not change the score you need to play to net par, it will still be 36 stableford points.
What is the relevance of 36 points to anything? Par tells you nothing about how well you play. It doesn't even tell you in relative terms how long the course is.
If you get 36 points on a 5400 yards par 72 course as opposed to 36 points on a 7200 yards par 72 course, which is the better score?

Would you feel any differently if the SSS (CR) was 66 or 75?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
What is the relevance of 36 points to anything? Par tells you nothing about how well you play. It doesn't even tell you in relative terms how long the course is.
If you get 36 points on a 5400 yards par 72 course as opposed to 36 points on a 7200 yards par 72 course, which is the better score?

Would you feel any differently if the SSS (CR) was 66 or 75?

Please read the post I was replying to and you might understand. For the record I don't think par has any relevance to handicapping.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please read the post I was replying to and you might understand. For the record I don't think par has any relevance to handicapping.
Sorry. I wasn't really trying to get at you. I have a buzzy bee in my bonnet about many people using par and 36 points as a measure of their performance.

4LEX

Visit site
The low score anchor......

I've got goals to get to +4 within the next few years and I'm interested in this. I know it depends on the course rating and slope index but if I shoot -9 on a standard course would that mean my low score anchor would be +5 from that score? And would it overrule my general play scores?

I ask as I'm a really steady golfer and probably shoot within my handicap 80% of the time but don't tend to go super low due the way I play the game. However if a one off great round counts so heavily then I would seriously consider changing my game.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

I've got goals to get to +4 within the next few years and I'm interested in this. I know it depends on the course rating and slope index but if I shoot -9 on a standard course would that mean my low score anchor would be +5 from that score? And would it overrule my general play scores?

I ask as I'm a really steady golfer and probably shoot within my handicap 80% of the time but don't tend to go super low due the way I play the game. However if a one off great round counts so heavily then I would seriously consider changing my game.

Its not a low score "anchor" at all but a low handicap index "anchor"....so its based on the lowest that your handicap index has been over the last 12 months rather than being based on a single very good score.

4LEX

Visit site
Its not a low score "anchor" at all but a low handicap index "anchor"....so its based on the lowest that your handicap index has been over the last 12 months rather than being based on a single very good score.

Cheers Nick! Bit gutted though :sneaky:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am not sure I am totally following what you say.

Handicap Indexes are not set by a single round they are an average which is dependent on the number of Qualifying Scores in your handicap record, it is only the average of the best 8 if you have 20 scores in it.

If what you mean is memory of a low index. This is something that is on a 365 day rolling basis. It means that your Handicap Index cannot increase by more than 5 shots over the lowest Handicap Index in that period. There is no cap to how low it can go.

General Play scores will only be in in your Handicap Record if they were registered as Supplementary Scores but by the sound of it you are a 5 or better handicap player so they could not have been. This changes with the WHS as there will no longer be categories of handicaps and all players can submit Supplementary Scores when it starts.