World Handicap System

DickInShorts

Visit site
Still seems a bit odd that the idea was for a unified system worldwide - there do seem to be quite a lot of differences.

If the answer is they won’t really affect handicap indexes then I wonder why there are differences- and if they do then it won’t really be a WHS!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still seems a bit odd that the idea was for a unified system worldwide - there do seem to be quite a lot of differences.

If the answer is they won’t really affect handicap indexes then I wonder why there are differences- and if they do then it won’t really be a WHS!
It was not the intention to have one fully compatible system from day 1. It was recognised that local variants and traditions would have to be catered for until the major changes bedded down. It is expected (hoped) that this will not be too far in the future once the effects of the relatively minor variants have been fully evaluated.

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have just heard back from England Golf with some answers that surprised me and they were:
All competition golf of 10 holes of more MUST go in for handicap
'Competition' defined as two people or more playing for a prize i.e. you and your mate playing for a cup of tea

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just heard back from England Golf with some answers that surprised me and they were:
'Competition' defined as two people or more playing for a prize i.e. you and your mate playing for a cup of tea
Can you give us the exact question and answer please.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

How to submit a score?

After the completion of a competition round, a player has to submit their scorecard as soon as possible in order for their Handicap Index to be updated. Preferably, scores should be posted at the venue being played and on the same day, as this will be when a player’s Handicap Index will be updated. If this is not possible, players may post scores utilising the technology available at their golf club.

How to verify a score?

In order to verify a score and for it to count towards a player’s WHS index, some basic rules should be followed:

• Play in accordance with The Rules of Golf
  • Use an authorised format of play
  • Play nine holes to post a 9-hole score
  • Play at least 10 holes to post an 18-hole score
  • Play with at least one other person
  • Play on a course with a current Course Rating and Slope Rating

How your score counts towards the WHS?

Acceptable formats of play for submitting a score towards a player’s Handicap Index include any pre-registered general play ‘social’ scores and all individual competition rounds, both 9 and 18 holes, whether played at home or away courses. Non-acceptable formats of play include a player’s individual score from fourball better ball or other match play events.

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can you give us the exact question and answer please.
I asked the question:
In another reply to me you mentioned social golf. You defined A ‘competition’ is when you have multi players competing against each other for a prize, I am sure you know that there are many groups that play as a group in ‘competition’ for a stake e.g. £2 a head (a prize) is that defined as a competition or social golf?
Reply: We would define that as a competition.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The use of the word may in the final paragraph suggests that the HC does not have to make that consideration.

The final paragraph only concerns itself with what amounts to a player's pre registering (as understood by the handicap committee.)
IOW, if the player is playing an authorised format of play in a regular authorised event with other players, e.g a competition ,then the committee can regard that mere participation as proof that the player has pre registered their intent to submit a score, .
The player does not have to do anything else to pre-register.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do you and your mate play medal or Stableford for your cup of tea? I'd expect to have a match, especially with the stakes being so high.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I asked the question:
In another reply to me you mentioned social golf. You defined A ‘competition’ is when you have multi players competing against each other for a prize, I am sure you know that there are many groups that play as a group in ‘competition’ for a stake e.g. £2 a head (a prize) is that defined as a competition or social golf?
Reply: We would define that as a competition.
No mention of the contents of your original post.

'Competition' defined as two people or more playing for a prize i.e. you and your mate playing for a cup of tea.
There is no definition of Competition in the Rules of Handicapping.

Only scores from 'competitions' organised or authorised by Committee may be returned for handicapping.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How to submit a score?

After the completion of a competition round, a player has to submit their scorecard as soon as possible in order for their Handicap Index to be updated. Preferably, scores should be posted at the venue being played and on the same day, as this will be when a player’s Handicap Index will be updated. If this is not possible, players may post scores utilising the technology available at their golf club.

How to verify a score?

In order to verify a score and for it to count towards a player’s WHS index, some basic rules should be followed:

• Play in accordance with The Rules of Golf
  • Use an authorised format of play
  • Play nine holes to post a 9-hole score
  • Play at least 10 holes to post an 18-hole score
  • Play with at least one other person
  • Play on a course with a current Course Rating and Slope Rating

How your score counts towards the WHS?

Acceptable formats of play for submitting a score towards a player’s Handicap Index include any pre-registered general play ‘social’ scores and all individual competition rounds, both 9 and 18 holes, whether played at home or away courses. Non-acceptable formats of play include a player’s individual score from fourball better ball or other match play events.
Have we moved on from the original post?

Surely a 12 hole course cannot have a CR & SR.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

In addition to what Rulefan says, I'd suggest we consider the broad achievement of the WHS in unifying handicapping. At the moment, we have a system which isn't really compatible with anywhere outwith the CONGU countries and which unhelpfully (particularly to higher handicappers) gives you the same number of strokes whether you are playing an easy course or a tough one. The WHS will give you a take anywhere handicap index which you use to give you the number of strokes you need for the course you are going to play. Today, a 20 handicapper who plays Dunaverty (my all-time all favourite wee course where I first hacked a golf ball with a cut down mashie of my father's) will get 20 strokes. It is 4,577 yards long, Par 66, SSS 63. If he plays the 6,945 yard, Par 72, SSS 75 white course at Carnoustie, he will get 20 strokes. With a WHS Handicap Index of 20, he will get 16 strokes on Dunaverty and 25 on Carnoustie. Say hello and welcome to Slope Rating!

You can substitute Dunedin for Dunaverty, Curaçoa for Carnoustie - anywhere you like - if it is a rated course you can play there on an equal basis with anyone from anywhere. The details may differ, but the broad achievements are universality, fairness and equity.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I meant playing 12 holes of an 18 hole course.
Thanks for clarifying.
If you play between the minimum of 10 and 17 holes of an 18 hole course your score can be scaled up to the 18 holes. You then have an 18 hole score which can be processed for handicapping as normal using the CR and SR of the 18 hole course.

I think it's more to do with those that play 12 holes and then need to retire for whatever reason. Not setting up a comp of just 12 holes.

"More to do with" perhaps, but it doesn't exclude the possiblility of competitions of between 10 and 17 holes. The 15th green at my home course is close to the clubhouse and I'm eyeing up the obvious possibility of some 15 hole competitions. And to go back to the OP's 12 hole competitions, it sounds as if the players should be required to post their scores for handicapping.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly there is difference between a 12 hole course such as Shiskine on the Isle of Arran and playing 12 holes of an 18 hole course. Which did you mean?
I see that Shiskine has an 18 hole card and an SSS for both 18 (and 12 ??) holes

DickInShorts

Visit site
In addition to what Rulefan says, I'd suggest we consider the broad achievement of the WHS in unifying handicapping. At the moment, we have a system which isn't really compatible with anywhere outwith the CONGU countries and which unhelpfully (particularly to higher handicappers) gives you the same number of strokes whether you are playing an easy course or a tough one. The WHS will give you a take anywhere handicap index which you use to give you the number of strokes you need for the course you are going to play. Today, a 20 handicapper who plays Dunaverty (my all-time all favourite wee course where I first hacked a golf ball with a cut down mashie of my father's) will get 20 strokes. It is 4,577 yards long, Par 66, SSS 63. If he plays the 6,945 yard, Par 72, SSS 75 white course at Carnoustie, he will get 20 strokes. With a WHS Handicap Index of 20, he will get 16 strokes on Dunaverty and 25 on Carnoustie. Say hello and welcome to Slope Rating!

You can substitute Dunedin for Dunaverty, Curaçoa for Carnoustie - anywhere you like - if it is a rated course you can play there on an equal basis with anyone from anywhere. The details may differ, but the broad achievements are universality, fairness and equity.

Colin - currently you effectively would play off 17 at Dunaverty (I loved playing it too one June evening about 6 years ago but got lost halfway round!) and 23 at Carnoustie in competitions- the differences between SSS and par.

So WHS seems (as a simplification) to adjust your handicap before rather than after play.