World Handicap System

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to say I haven’t really encountered any issues and for what is a massive task, I think they’ve done quite well.

I would guess how some clubs run their handicaps and set themselves up has probably not helped their cause in ironing out the initial teething problems.

A major issue was that EG sent out last minute dot.com requests for data that wasn't previously asked for and a detailed list of what was required. There is also a lack f understanding by EG that many clubs are run buy volunteers and the information and set up should have been explained months ago.

Majority of the issues have been self inflicted by EG.

D

Deleted member 15344

Other countries have taken 4 - 8 weeks.

Is that supposed to be a good thing that EG have failed to learn anything from other countries ?

There should be the very minimal amount of issues but there hasn’t been a day go by in the past three weeks where the system is workable for clubs and shows a true reflection off someones handicap

The planning clearly appears to be lacking , the implementation is poor and overall the communication and management of the process is amateurish

Clubs have done everything that was asked on the whole and ISV’s have worked very hard - to be let down by Dotgolf and EG

They are very lucky that golf stopped because imagine all this whilst clubs were trying to run comps - you could have easily had people winning comps when they shouldn’t have

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are very lucky that golf stopped because imagine all this whilst clubs were trying to run comps ....

Why lucky ? Perhaps that should read "it's just as well CONGU had the good sense to choose the transition date at the end of a season when mostly clubs would not be trying to run comps for several months."

D

Deleted member 15344

Why lucky ? Perhaps that should read "it's just as well CONGU had the good sense to choose the transition date at the end of a season...."
End of season ? Many clubs that I know still have qualifiers during November with the end of the season after or December -

1st Jan might have a been a better date but it’s nothing but luck that clubs are currently not having any golfs comps to allow them the time to sort out the mess

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is this —- end of season lark.

Active and Inactive seasons are not implemented in GB&I. Golf should be played throughout the year; although for many clubs the course setup may mean that, in winter, scores will not be acceptable for handicap purposes. However, it is expected that all clubs will endeavour to encourage players to return acceptable scores throughout the year where possible.
Guidance is provided for the use of temporary greens and tees in G2.1/3. Further guidance in Appendix H is applicable when adverse course conditions prevail.
Clubs should refer to their National Association for specific guidance on dealing with adverse course conditions.
GDef/2 Auth

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
End of season ? Many clubs that I know still have qualifiers during November with the end of the season after or December -

1st Jan might have a been a better date but it’s nothing but luck that clubs are currently not having any golfs comps to allow them the time to sort out the mess

It would only be luck if by chance this year a large number of clubs had suddenly and uniquely decided not to run a load of comps they normally ran.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A major issue was that EG sent out last minute dot.com requests for data that wasn't previously asked for and a detailed list of what was required. There is also a lack f understanding by EG that many clubs are run buy volunteers and the information and set up should have been explained months ago.

Majority of the issues have been self inflicted by EG.
The late request was not concerned with score/playing data. The details of courses/tees were requested a long time ago and that issue is taking time to resolve.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would only be luck if by chance this year a large number of clubs had suddenly and uniquely decided not to run a load of comps they normally ran.
Colin

Your commenting here suggests that its not just England that has problems. I think we have seen one or two comments from Wales but I have seen nothing from Ireland.
I know DotGolf had to take data from different E, W & I databases but Scotland has a different software supplier taking data from a 4th database.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin

Your commenting here suggests that its not just England that has problems. I think we have seen one or two comments from Wales but I have seen nothing from Ireland.
I know DotGolf had to take data from different E, W & I databases but Scotland has a different software supplier taking data from a 4th database.

You do not walk alone. But setting aside transitional problems, I do like what I see for the future.

DickInShorts

Visit site
I think Colin was unaware that golf in England carries on on full courses with many qualifiers up until at least December. When I was in Dorset we had none in January and February.

In Scotland I think most clubs end qualifiers at end of October and don’t restart until late March. Both my clubs do this and move off summer tees to either winter ones or mats (usually forward) so length is dramatically reduced.
under CONGU clubs could use HDID to continue handicap adjustments without updating the CDH.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We never stop running qualifying comps throughout the whole the year provided we only have the maximum of 2 temp greens.

All of our winter tees are positioned so that comps can remain qualifying. Under the UHS we had a measured course certificate for our winter tees.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The late request was not concerned with score/playing data. The details of courses/tees were requested a long time ago and that issue is taking time to resolve.

Agreed but there was no explanation to say that you couldn’t add courses in the future. We are now going into double entry territory which can lead to problems in IT and no way to do it. I can see those not in the know adding courses to their ISV and expecting things to work as they always have.

IanMcC

Visit site
Interesting change I had to perform for a member. One round, at an away course, had been entered twice. Once using her gross score and one using her net score. This pulled her handicap index down significantly. I checked the CONGU version of ClubV1 to confirm this was the case. Obviously human error. I deleted the incorrect low round. Her index went from 11.9 to 13.6.
The manual sync between ClubV1 and the CDH Dashboard was quick, and gave the message that a change took place.
That all worked very well I thought. HowDidIDo, on the other hand, still has her old, unadjusted Index. That is 2 of my members now who's index is wrong on HDID. For any club playing acceptable rounds at the moment, HDID will soon become worse than useless.