World Handicap System (WHS)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure you can explain but why not under whs move to a one size fits all approach? Rate the Tees the same for men and ladies .. then let the ladies handicaps adjust in line

So somebody said a 6 handicap is really a 10 would it be a bad thing?

Handicaps can go up to 54 now so a 36 handicap lady would have scope

Tees would be rated for everyone and would get rid of men's Vs ladies .. just players

This is a recommendation from CONGU already

c. Tee Markers
The tee markers used to designate each set of tees on a golf course should be
consistent in name, colour and/or design and distinguishable from the tee
markers used for other sets of tees. It is strongly recommended that the
Authorized Association issues guidance to golf clubs as to how these avoid any
association with gender or age.

Each hole may have multiple teeing areas and, for handicap purposes, a golf course
is made up of a designated set of tees on each hole. As such, each set of tees (or
golf course) should have a separate Course Rating and Slope Rating, including one
for each gender where appropriate.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
May not have enough info but if anybody could point me in the right direction as to the workings out it would be appreciated.

First medal today. My HI 18.8 Course H 22. playing Handicap 21 95% slope 133 at our course.

I have a 92 to come off being my 20th score. I had a nett 76 today but a 6 on stroke index 4 (22 for handicap purposes). The last hole I had a 9 it is SI 9 which I assume will be a 7.

I do NOT understand Nett differential but would my 76 come down to 73 ( 2 at last hole plus 1 on SI 4) Di I then add 73 plus playing handicap 21 to equal 94?

That is all I understand and any help would be appreciated

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
May not have enough info but if anybody could point me in the right direction as to the workings out it would be appreciated.

First medal today. My HI 18.8 Course H 22. playing Handicap 21 95% slope 133 at our course.

I have a 92 to come off being my 20th score. I had a nett 76 today but a 6 on stroke index 4 (22 for handicap purposes). The last hole I had a 9 it is SI 9 which I assume will be a 7.

I do NOT understand Nett differential but would my 76 come down to 73 ( 2 at last hole plus 1 on SI 4) Di I then add 73 plus playing handicap 21 to equal 94?

Put your feet up, have a glass of wine and enjoy a movie. Your new HC Index will appear on your app in the morning. Enjoy.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When the pre WHS ratings were started EG gave all clubs that opportunity. I suspect that many (ie most) clubs didn't bother to tell/ask their members.
Hmmm.... I suspect the conversation was more like "which tees do the men play from and which do the Ladies play from". The topic of gender neutral tees only came up very late in the cycle and there is now a backlog for additional tees to be assessed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I realise that it is sorted overnight. All I wanted was does anybody know how it is calculated. At my age it is irrelevant so I am not worried.

When you check your H.I tomorrow you can see the card and it is obvious how scores are adjusted.

If you want to work it out for yourself anything worse than nett double bogey is converted to that ie the the lowest score at which you would get zero points.

Score Differential = (113 ÷Slope Rating) x (adjusted gross score – Course Rating – PCC adjustment)

You cannot know precisely for yourself because you do not know the PCC (Playing conditions calculation)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When the pre WHS ratings were started EG gave all clubs that opportunity.....
Probably in very fine print/in amongst a huge amount of huge amount of other 'info'!
It's only now that loads of 'other' situations are emerging - but that's how the likes of golf clubs work (at least imo). Given a few months, many - if not all - these 'anomolies' should be addressed, but there's no way EG should consider the conversion to WHS 'done' until all such issues have been resolved.
To me, Ladies off Men's tees and Men of Ladies Tees is a significant 'gap'!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably in very fine print/in amongst a huge amount of huge amount of other 'info'!
It's only now that loads of 'other' situations are emerging - but that's how the likes of golf clubs work (at least imo). Given a few months, many - if not all - these 'anomolies' should be addressed, but there's no way EG should consider the conversion to WHS 'done' until all such issues have been resolved.
To me, Ladies off Men's tees and Men of Ladies Tees is a significant 'gap'!
There wasn't a huge amount of other 'info' at the time, the rerating exercise started in 2014/2015

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There wasn't a huge amount of other 'info' at the time, the rerating exercise started in 2014/2015
So an equivalent issue then! 'Not enough info' and 'Too much info' both cause 'gaps' that require action/generate frustration, though not necessarily 'general' enough that authorities - at whatever level and who have limited resources - can be easily convinced to address them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So an equivalent issue then! 'Not enough info' and 'Too much info' both cause 'gaps' that require action/generate frustration, though not necessarily 'general' enough that authorities - at whatever level and who have limited resources - can be easily convinced to address them.
Not sure that the 'authorities' had a lot of options. Just a significant shortage of volunteers from members.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a score awaiting "attestation" but my mate hasn't had the message to do it. Could have been a cock up by me or him to be honest. I've e mailed EG to see if they can help.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure that the 'authorities' had a lot of options. Just a significant shortage of volunteers from members.
Something that should have been pretty obvious - at least given the 5 or 6 year 'rerating period'!
I'm not overly criticising 'the authorities' btw. Simply noting (though I'm not particularly surprised) that a significant number of glitches with the 'new' seem to have arisen after implementation. As I posted, the lack of 'complete' ratings is my only gripe - and (currently) a minor one at that.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Something that should have been pretty obvious - at least given the 5 or 6 year 'rerating period'!
I'm not overly criticising 'the authorities' btw. Simply noting (though I'm not particularly surprised) that a significant number of glitches with the 'new' seem to have arisen after implementation. As I posted, the lack of 'complete' ratings is my only gripe - and (currently) a minor one at that.
Not only "complete" ratings. But I played a course on Friday (Seaford Head) which has still not been rated at all on white or yellows. Scorecard still using SSS and no mention of CR and slope anywhere in clubhouse or tee!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not only "complete" ratings. But I played a course on Friday (Seaford Head) which has still not been rated at all on white or yellows. Scorecard still using SSS and no mention of CR and slope anywhere in clubhouse or tee!
The red tees have been rated but they could have been done well before WHS was thought of and given that it is a council course I suspect the usual jobsworth hasn't even thought about it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Last edited: