World Handicap System (WHS)

Visit site
Apart from the built in issues of the inaccuracy relating to higher handicap players (ie slope) and the inability to respond to old age or deteriorating physical ability when upwards movement is restricted to 0.1.

Rulefan, you and I are never going to agree, but I thought Golf Committees dealt with that sort of thing. I have never heard that many complaints with our system, and there appeared to be no shortage of older members playing. Getting the younger ones to play.....that's the issue, surely?

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Isolationist Luddites!

It's a World Handicap System!
Lol! Yes, when we go to the workshops they seem to think that everyone is playing all over the world all of the time. 'Oh won't it be great with WHS, now you can play anywhere with your h'cap'.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Continuous review?
Annual review?

The basic problems with the continuous review are that have one good round and the seven in a row resets, have a buffer and the review says defer until the annual review.
It also says ageing players without defining what they mean by ageing, we all age.

There will no continuous review with the WHS so abit less work for the volunteers.

I also foresee far fewer players on the annual review report if players put in enough cards.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am some who has been on the decline (golf wise) for several years and have always thought the current system does not change handicaps upwards quickly enough* and people on handicap committees tend to remember you as the player you once were rather than the player you are now.

* Say at the moment I am 10 handicap but regularly shoot 2 or worse than handicap it will take 20 rounds worse than buffer to get the 2 shots by which time I may be playing 3-4 shots worse than a 10 handicap.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am some who has been on the decline (golf wise) for several years and have always thought the current system does not change handicaps upwards quickly enough* and people on handicap committees tend to remember you as the player you once were rather than the player you are now.

* Say at the moment I am 10 handicap but regularly shoot 2 or worse than handicap it will take 20 rounds worse than buffer to get the 2 shots by which time I may be playing 3-4 shots worse than a 10 handicap.
Well then the handicap committee needs to be replaced.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the contrary. The handicap committee is perfectly correct to leave such a handicap as is. Anyone regularly shooting within 2 (and some worse than that) of their handicap is on the correct handicap. That is just about the correct profile for a 10 handicapper.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lol! Yes, when we go to the workshops they seem to think that everyone is playing all over the world all of the time. 'Oh won't it be great with WHS, now you can play anywhere with your h'cap'.
Also means your H/cap earned at an 'easy' course will be more equitable when playing at a much 'harder' one so that you off 10 & your opposition off similar will be more evenly matched........ SO.. see you don't even have to leave the country to gain benefit. :unsure::unsure:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

AGREED!!
You'd be replacing an awefull lot at that rate, pretty much most, I'd say...... why not join your Club's H/cap team & have your say locally? :unsure:

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the contrary. The handicap committee is perfectly correct to leave such a handicap as is. Anyone regularly shooting within 2 (and some worse than that) of their handicap is on the correct handicap. That is just about the correct profile for a 10 handicapper.

I should have said 2 worse than buffer.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Come November how does the WHS calculate a handicap index for player with a CONGH H/cap but no 'qualifying/acceptable' scores in the last 2 years? Is it a case of submit 3 cards & it's the best one -2?
In fact will it be just a matter of them playing Q Comps until their 3rd when the system will make it happen?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In principle, yes. Although there will be no such thing as Q scores, acceptable scores (individual comp and predeclared scores will be used as for a new player). After 3 cards a formula is applied until a full 20 have been returned.

3 Lowest 1 -2.0
4 Lowest 1 -1.0
5 Lowest 1
6 Average of lowest 2 -1.0
7 or 8 Average of lowest 2
9 to 11 Average of lowest 3
12 to 14 Average of lowest 4
15 or 16 Average of lowest 5
17 or 18 Average of lowest 6
19 Average of lowest 7
20 Average of lowest 8

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So on a practical basis when new members join we'd simply register them on our H/cap Software, transfer their CDH if they have one & if they haven't just await them submitting enough 'acceptable scores' so that an Index is then generated. Will there still be a CDH database we'll have access to?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So on a practical basis when new members join we'd simply register them on our H/cap Software, transfer their CDH if they have one & if they haven't just await them submitting enough 'acceptable scores' so that an Index is then generated.
Yes. But for new players, enter the cardsas they arrive. Their Index will be created automatically after 3.

Will there still be a CDH database we'll have access to?
In effect, yes. But that is where all the number crunching will be done.