World Handicap System (WHS)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Please tell me where I said they won't do that.

I was basically saying they will do that. However, I simply didn't 100% say they will do that, because I have no idea what they will look like. And, knowing if I DID say they 100% do that, someone like yourself could then jump down my throat if, in actual fact, they didn't do that now, and try and make me look stupid for being overly certain on something I know little about

Are you intentionally trying to be confrontational?
S
I think you are totally wrong with your opinion of Rulefan and frankly surprised. A more knowledgeable and helpful poster you could not wish to meet and we are lucky to have him on here. His knowledge is 2nd to none and always come up with a logical response.

From reading some of your posts you must have benefited from his in depth knowledge. I have contacted him direct on several occasions with queries and always gives a considered response.

Thanks for tour help RF.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mate just back from the states and he bought me back a card which had two sets of figures by each tee, it is a 9 hole course with an 18 hole card:

Men
36.4/125
34.9/122
33.7/119

Any idea from those in the know why the two sets of figures.

Secondly - EG/CONGU has just spent the last five years convincing the golfing world of England that full handicap allowances for comps was the only fair way forward (doesn't matter if you agree or not), they were even suggesting it moving forward to BB before the WHS came about. What's changed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) Course Rating (xx.x) and Slope (yyy) for each of the 9 and 18 hole courses xx.x/yyy. Presumably the tee positions were different for each 9.

2) They were persuaded otherwise.
a) New, better stats were available for strokeplay
b) It is still full for matchplay
c) I wasn't aware they were promoting the idea of BB prior to WHS. But they are now waiting to see how it turns out in countries that have only adopted BB since WHS. There are still many potential difficulties of course but the upside would be as a pot hunter deterrent.

IanMcC

Visit site
Will Covid-19 delay the WHS roll out to the UK?
Wales golf have carried out webinars to replace the cancelled seminars. I sat in on one and it went quite well
They are still hoping to complete some face to face seminars before 2nd November, which is still the start date for WHS in the UK.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Will Covid-19 delay the WHS roll out to the UK?

I would guess likely.

Part of the delay I believe was the time and resource required to rate all the courses. Especially with slope rating being required which most courses wouldn't have calculated and those that did, it may have been done some time ago and with a mind towards tourists playing rather than formal competitions.

Seems inevitable that this process would have been delayed further.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Will we be playing golf by November? :(

I would hope so but you can't be certain. I would like to think WHS may be delayed as my biggest concern is it not having the chance for clubs to roll it out properly to members, or even handicap secretaries able to get fully up to speed. If we were to get back in say September (picked randomly from thin air) why not roll it out somewhere sensible like 1st Jan 2021

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would expect handicap secretaries to up to speed as far as the information that has been available is concerned. What most will be waiting for is the manual which was scheduled to be available in July.

The one part of it that I foresee being a bit problematic is that the union was going to issue materials for presentations to club members but I cannot see these presentations going ahead.

In reality there is very little for players to learn, most of the in depth stuff is for handicap administrators.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Wales golf have carried out webinars to replace the cancelled seminars. I sat in on one and it went quite well
They are still hoping to complete some face to face seminars before 2nd November, which is still the start date for WHS in the UK.

I am pretty sure they were out back end of last year and did Newport's course rating... and most of the others as I understand it. Mind you, WHS isn't really something to worry about this year. Plenty of fun golf gets played without keeping score, and the the mo, any form of golf would be super!

Visit site
I'm pretty certain that my course had not been rated by mid March. I would be more than happy to not bother with WHS, as I don't think there's 'owt wrong with what we have!
However, it IS coming, but I cannot see it coming this November.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with the Yorkshire Hacker, I am the handicap sec at my place and my preference would be for them to use COVID-19 as an excuse to forget all about WHS. Nothing wrong with what we've got now.
I would expect at least a 6 month delay, more likely put it's introduction back by a year. There were several unknowns at the last workshop I went to.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course had not been rated as of the end of February. I wonder how many others are in the same position?
Rating does not take place outside the normal playing season. Usually April - September. Only a few dozen are expected to be unrated by then. Those will be given a temporary rating.
A majority of those outstanding are because the clubs would or could not provide clear access to the course during the rating process. I am told there enough rating teams available.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Apart from the built in issues of the inaccuracy relating to higher handicap players (ie slope) and the inability to respond to old age or deteriorating physical ability when upwards movement is restricted to 0.1.

Continuous review?
Annual review?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...I would be more than happy to not bother with WHS, as I don't think there's 'owt wrong with what we have!

I agree with the Yorkshire Hacker, I am the handicap sec at my place and my preference would be for them to use COVID-19 as an excuse to forget all about WHS. Nothing wrong with what we've got now.

Isolationist Luddites!

It's a World Handicap System!