World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they are BETTER, the damage is already done. Handicap secretary could chop them, but they've already won the competition with a massive score. Besides, will many handicap secs give extra cuts beyond the systems Exceptional score reduction, and the fact it is supposed to adapt quickly to the good scores that come in, especially early on in a player's record?

My thoughts were the system could have protection against that BEFORE the new high handicapper wins with a massive score
A properly organised committee would be keeping an eye new players general play. Much the same as was specified by CONGU.

Swango1980

Visit site
A properly organised committee would be keeping an eye new players general play. Much the same as was specified by CONGU.
You are assuming these new members are submitting general play rounds for handicap before they play competitions. If they did that, there would probably be less of an issue because their handicap would likely start to drop BEFORE they win comps with massive scores.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just checking the Welsh version of the WHS App.

The Apple Version has a ribbon at the bottom and an Enter Score button. No such ribbon or features appear on the Android version.

Looks like I can create a scorecard and enter a score for ANY Welsh course, but no others. That's unless I only have Android devices.

So, whats to stop me keying in a few bogus games this month to manipulate my handicap in whatever direction I wanted? Worrying. A handicap committee wouldn't be able to police this until it was too late.

Equally, I am playing in a soc in two weeks in England. I can't key that in to the system, so who does?

Is this the same in other unions?

nyckuk

Visit site

So, whats to stop me keying in a few bogus games this month to manipulate my handicap in whatever direction I wanted? Worrying. A handicap committee wouldn't be able to police this until it was too late.

From my understanding you would have to get someone else to help you cheat ... You cant do it on your own , you select a playing partner at the beginning and they have to Verify your score via a notification on their App at the end of the round

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

The Apple Version has a ribbon at the bottom and an Enter Score button. No such ribbon or features appear on the Android version.

Looks like I can create a scorecard and enter a score for ANY Welsh course, but no others. That's unless I only have Android devices.

Equally, I am playing in a soc in two weeks in England. I can't key that in to the system, so who does?

Is this the same in other unions?
As stated, if you use the EG app you will require someone else to collaborate with you.
There was nothing to stop you doing the same under the old supplementary card system.

Swango1980

Visit site
From my understanding you would have to get someone else to help you cheat ... You cant do it on your own , you select a playing partner at the beginning and they have to Verify your score via a notification on their App at the end of the round
Pretty sure you could do it if you submitted your score via howdidido, if your club are on Club V1. Yes, it asks for a marker but you can skip that step. Furthermore, you can randomly select a marker, that get no notification you did so, so they'd be none the wiser. Your score will get submitted regardless.

So, it seems it would be very easy to sit at home and enter scores if a person wished to do so.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
As stated, if you use the EG app you will require someone else to collaborate with you.
There was nothing to stop you doing the same under the old supplementary card system.

That's EG. Not WG. I'll ask the pro this morning if he knows. Looks like I can key any score on a Welsh course without anyone else having an input.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apologies if this has previously been addressed. Is there a limit handicap indexes can go up? One of my regular playing partners only put his cards in last season - so does not yet have 20 qualifying cards. Since the return, we use the EG app to register every round - so even a knock counts. He doesn’t seem to have a buffer and he has received an increase when scoring 17 points on 9 holes.

He’s seen his index increase by 4 shots already. He was already dangerous off 20, nevermind 24! It’s so frustrating for him - he’s working with the pro and trying to ingrained changes - but obviously these take time. I’m sure it will come down eventually. But... is there a limit to what it can increase by?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies if this has previously been addressed. Is there a limit handicap indexes can go up? One of my regular playing partners only put his cards in last season - so does not yet have 20 qualifying cards. Since the return, we use the EG app to register every round - so even a knock counts. He doesn’t seem to have a buffer and he has received an increase when scoring 17 points on 9 holes.

He’s seen his index increase by 4 shots already. He was already dangerous off 20, nevermind 24! It’s so frustrating for him - he’s working with the pro and trying to ingrained changes - but obviously these take time. I’m sure it will come down eventually. But... is there a limit to what it can increase by?

until all 20 scores are in, I don’t think there are limits on up and down movement. That is when hard caps, soft caps etc come in.

bear in mind 17 points could be at a low slope and low course rating club, and when ‘de sloped’ it could equal increases.

just keep going until all 20 are in and see where it takes him

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure you could do it if you submitted your score via howdidido, if your club are on Club V1. Yes, it asks for a marker but you can skip that step. Furthermore, you can randomly select a marker, that get no notification you did so, so they'd be none the wiser. Your score will get submitted regardless.

So, it seems it would be very easy to sit at home and enter scores if a person wished to do so.

Does HDID not geo-locate? Should only be able to start a round when in the vicinity of the club

NearHull

Visit site
No. Can sign in wherever you like. I sign in at home, then drive 6 miles to club
I have written to the HowDidIDo owners ( Golf International , I think) to ask if they had any plans to address the poor marker governance. They passed the query to their Development Team to consider. I pointed out that if they wish their App to be used in competitions post Covid restrictions, then they need to up their game and provide a similar marker score verification system to the MyEG App as used in General Play.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have written to the HowDidIDo owners ( Golf International , I think) to ask if they had any plans to address the poor marker governance. They passed the query to their Development Team to consider. I pointed out that if they wish their App to be used in competitions post Covid restrictions, then they need to up their game and provide a similar marker score verification system to the MyEG App as used in General Play.
Golf International has nothing to do with HDID. The HDID system requires the markers name and players Signature and can be checked by comp committees on the system. There seem to be a few on here that think there club members are just a load of cheats. Shame really.
A cheat will always find a way to cheat, the various apps are no more susceptible to cheating than a PSI Unit.

Swango1980

Visit site
I doubt anyone thinks their members are a load of cheats. But, in a membership of hundreds, it would be naive to think one or 2 do not exist. We've all heard rumours, or even witnessed blatant cheating in past. So, it is not impossible that someone, at some point, may enter a fake score at home if they could.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt anyone thinks their members are a load of cheats. But, in a membership of hundreds, it would be naive to think one or 2 do not exist. We've all heard rumours, or even witnessed blatant cheating in past. So, it is not impossible that someone, at some point, may enter a fake score at home if they could.
Theres nothing to stop them entering a bogus score on the PSI either or putting in a bogus card for the office to enter which is why I posted that a cheat will find a way to cheat. I get a list of all pre registered casual rounds the following day, do a quick check on the scores entered report, takes a couple of minutes. Like you I'm an unpaid sucker doing this but we have a system and as well as it can it works.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Entered a supplementary score on howdidido yesterday.. selected yellow tees. It is almost immediately added to the EG golf app and by this morning was confirmed as a qualifying score against my handicap. How bluddy cool is that!!!!!!? Awesome ??
I had the same. However, a 77 was binned off with a 72 yet I still went up 0.2. I thought I had worked out how WHS worked, but until I have the full 20 scores in under the new system I am not going to try working it out anymore. Today’s 74 will replace an 82 so hopefully I shouldn’t go up again.

Swango1980

Visit site
Theres nothing to stop them entering a bogus score on the PSI either or putting in a bogus card for the office to enter which is why I posted that a cheat will find a way to cheat. I get a list of all pre registered casual rounds the following day, do a quick check on the scores entered report, takes a couple of minutes. Like you I'm an unpaid sucker doing this but we have a system and as well as it can it works.
Yeah, plenty of ways to cheat. I was only specifically replying to the method of entering scores from home without ever going near the course.

They could cheat on PSI, but I'd at least give them credit for getting out of bed and travelling to club to do so :)