Working out my rough h'cap off the WHS...

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Now you'll see people checking their archives for their last 20 rounds and trying to work out if 8 of them were better or not.

To be honest I reckon this is something I will keep a mental note of anyway when the new system comes in. It's not like I play hundreds of qualifiers a week so should be pretty easy to keep track of.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly would not have a clue what my 9th best score out of my last 20 scores would be right now, although moving forward I would imagine this would be something I do become more aware of.

I have no idea what this will mean for my handicap as I am the definition of inconsistent. My last 20 rounds include anything from 78 to 101, with a number of rounds in the 90's. Am I suddenly going to have a handicap index of 20 when the new system comes in?

All competitive? I think it depends if they are cards you would hand in or not. Obviously the 101 would be ignored as it will never be in your best 8 rounds of the last 20.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest I reckon this is something I will keep a mental note of anyway when the new system comes in. It's not like I play hundreds of qualifiers a week so should be pretty easy to keep track of.
Yeah you might be right. I think we will start to have a vague idea of what our 8th best round was, and go out thinking "I need to beat 88 to have a chance of getting cut" or something to that effect.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
are you playing an open every week?? i'd imag working out two CSS is far easier than one handicap adj by the sounds of it:ROFLMAO:

We have weekly interclub matches and sometimes 2 in a week. Our club plays in 3 different leagues, the ladies in about 3 different knockout or other leagues plus friendly matches and the seniors play two knockout comps and have a 30 friendly matches a year.

There was time when I played more than 10 opens during the summer and I know plenty of guys who still do. My phone bleeps virtually every night with new CDH away score notifications.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now you'll see people checking their archives for their last 20 rounds and trying to work out if 8 of them were better or not.

No you will not. You will simply check your handicap on the clubs computer and you only need to do it if you have submitted a qualifying score since you last played a qualifying round. Much the same as checking your handicap if you played in a comp at present.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No you will not. You will simply check your handicap on the clubs computer and you only need to do it if you have submitted a qualifying score since you last played a qualifying round. Much the same as checking your handicap if you played in a comp at present.
lol. My club doesn't have a 'club computer'. I tend to find out my handicap changes from howdidido about 3 or 4 days after the event.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
lol. My club doesn't have a 'club computer'. I tend to find out my handicap changes from howdidido about 3 or 4 days after the event.

Does your club not have a scores input terminal (PSI) for you to enter your own scores or does someone in the office have to enter everybody scores?

We use our PSI terminal so that players can easily check their and others handicap.

Your club should at least be posting the changes to the CDH nightly so easy to go on to the England Golf website to check you current handicap.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have weekly interclub matches and sometimes 2 in a week. Our club plays in 3 different leagues, the ladies in about 3 different knockout or other leagues plus friendly matches and the seniors play two knockout comps and have a 30 friendly matches a year.

There was time when I played more than 10 opens during the summer and I know plenty of guys who still do. My phone bleeps virtually every night with new CDH away score notifications.
fair enough, but MP isn't eff your handicap so those scores don't count and 10 opens a year isn't ever round is it ints what twice a month at most?

the current system and the odd visitor CSS pales in insignificants comp to haveing to trawl you last 8 scores and flip though tables with you calculator :unsure:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
fair enough, but MP isn't eff your handicap so those scores don't count and 10 opens a year isn't ever round is it ints what twice a month at most?

the current system and the odd visitor CSS pales in insignificants comp to haveing to trawl you last 8 scores and flip though tables with you calculator :unsure:
Just get to zero and dw about it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the current system and the odd visitor CSS pales in insignificants comp to haveing to trawl you last 8 scores

Why would you being do that? I would simply be checking my handicap on the clubs computer or at home via the website after submitting a qualifying score.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does your club not have a scores input terminal (PSI) for you to enter your own scores or does someone in the office have to enter everybody scores?

We use our PSI terminal so that players can easily check their and others handicap.

Your club should at least be posting the changes to the CDH nightly so easy to go on to the England Golf website to check you current handicap.
No - I just told you we don't. We hand in our cards and the club secretary enters them all. I don't know what CDH is either, I just wait for Howdidido to notify me with handicap changes as I said.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No - I just told you we don't. We hand in our cards and the club secretary enters them all. I don't know what CDH is either, I just wait for Howdidido to notify me with handicap changes as I said.

Every player who is a member of an affiliated club will have a CDH number (Central Database of Handicaps) with England Golf.

If you do not know yours go on the England Golf website and register to obtain yours and you can check your handicap on that website. The other advantage of registering is that you will get Public Liability cover for free.

If you ever want to play in another club's open you will need to know your you CDH number.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every player who is a member of an affiliated club will have a CDH number (Central Database of Handicaps) with England Golf.

If you do not know yours go on the England Golf website and register to obtain yours and you can check your handicap on that website. The other advantage of registering is that you will get Public Liability cover for free.

If you ever want to play in another club's open you will need to know your you CDH number.
Why do I need to sign up there when it's already on Howdidido, which is a free phone app I can access in seconds? Maybe you haven't used Howdidido, but it has a digital handicap certificate on it, which has my CDH number on there actually, now that I look at it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do I need to sign up there when it's already on Howdidido, which is a free phone app I can access in seconds? Maybe you haven't used Howdidido, but it has a digital handicap certificate on it, which has my CDH number on there actually, now that I look at it.

The CDH is the official record and changes overnight and does not take the 3-4 days that you say HDID take.

We dropped out HDID years ago because it is no longer needed. Our club software does it all.

Does you club have it's own website and can you access your personal record on the website?

We use Intelligent Golf and it can be accessed via an app if you wish to do it that way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The CDH is the official record and changes overnight and does not take the 3-4 days that you say HDID take.

We dropped out HDID years ago because it is no longer needed. Our club software does it all.

Does you club have it's own website and can you access your personal record on the website?

We use Intelligent Golf and it can be accessed via an app if you wish to do it that way.
I think the delay might be more dependent on when our club sec gets round to publishing the results, rather than HDID themselves. :p We have a club website, no 'personal records' on it though.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It sounds really complicated, but it does make a lot of sense.

A 20 handicapper at a championship course like Nairn is likely to be a significantly better golfer than a 20 handicapper at a short easy municipal course. SSS will adjust this by a couple of shots, but the real difference is probably at least 5. It doesn't make a difference in club competitions where everyone's handicap is based on the same course, but surely it will level the playing field for open events.

You may have this the wrong way round...

It will make a difference in club competitions; the 20 handicap index player playing at Nairn may be playing off 25, whilst the scr golfer will still play off scratch.

When the same player heads off to a course with a very low bogey index (and slope rating) they may play from 21, or even 20.

What it aims to do is remove the underlying difference in the strength of the 20 handicapper across different courses (as you reference, and recognise) but it does it by changing the handicap they compete, and assess their handicap index, from.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Although the exact changes slightly for me, I'm in the middle of my h'cap number so I stay off the same number. Sadly, looking at my last 20 rounds its clear to see that the number is creeping up a little each time. The average for my last 5 rounds is 79.8, the previous 5 its 78.4, the previous 5 to that being 76.4, and 76.4 for the last 5 rounds.