Working out my rough h'cap off the WHS...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do I need to sign up there when it's already on Howdidido, which is a free phone app I can access in seconds? Maybe you haven't used Howdidido, but it has a digital handicap certificate on it, which has my CDH number on there actually, now that I look at it.
HDID is only available to members of clubs which use ClubV1 or Club2000. The other 10 or so ISVs have no access to it. IG and HandicapMaster have similar facilities.The CDH is the way club and other competition organisers are able to check the handicaps of competitors.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just been looking at other clubs where I play in matches etc

Some surprises there. One club in particular, Burnham and Berrow, where I thought I would get a higher handicap has the same slope rating as us . I have only ever played to my handicap once there.
What are the two Course Ratings. You can't really compare two courses on the slope alone

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A question for those in the know: surely matchplay results can't be included in any handicapping calculations? Apart from the fact that the strategy for matchplay is utterly different to strokeplay, you're not going to be holing out all the time, so I don't see how it can be included. Many people don't even record their scores in matchplay.
WHS will allow for matchplay scores. Although GB&I (CONGU) won't be accepting them now, mp scores will be acceptable wherever the national authority chooses (eg in those countries where they are currently used).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently got cut from 19 to 16 after a round. It seems to me that in the new system it will be pretty much impossible to come down that quickly. Getting your handicap down will be gradual and much slower won't it?
It depends on if you are an 'improving' player. How often do you play so many below your norm? Did that include an Exceptional Score Reduction?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, who on earth calculates their handicap changes in their head after a round? Don't we let the system do it for us?
One thing that England golf don't like is the automatic 0.1 addition after a duff round, as in the current set-up. They think this attaches negativity to our day out playing the game.

I can work them out live in play inc. stableford adjustments. Sometimes an ability to count in your head is not a good thing :)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
WHS will allow for matchplay scores. Although GB&I (CONGU) won't be accepting them now, mp scores will be acceptable wherever the national authority chooses (eg in those countries where they are currently used).
So how is that going to work? For example, my opponent concedes a putt - do I get a score that reflects having holed that putt? Over the course of a typical matchplay round, chances are I would have missed at least one of the putts that were conceded. Or consider that on several holes I might attempt a Seve-like shot as my only hope to halve the hole, ending up with a shocking score on those holes. In strokeplay I would never have attempted such shots and therefore returned better scores. I just can't see how matchplay rounds can fairly be regarded as qualifiers.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So how is that going to work? For example, my opponent concedes a putt - do I get a score that reflects having holed that putt? Over the course of a typical matchplay round, chances are I would have missed at least one of the putts that were conceded. Or consider that on several holes I might attempt a Seve-like shot as my only hope to halve the hole, ending up with a shocking score on those holes. In strokeplay I would never have attempted such shots and therefore returned better scores. I just can't see how matchplay rounds can fairly be regarded as qualifiers.
You will have to look to Canada and the USGA to provide a justification.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are the two Course Ratings. You can't really compare two courses on the slope alone

I am talking about the yellow tees on both courses both of which have a slope of 124.

It did make me wonder if wind is taken in to consideration when setting the rating, although it is major factor on quite a few of holes maybe not as much as the whole of Burnham and Berrow.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Are there changes to the active (competition) handicap measure?
Is it 3 qualifiers 12 months currently?
Occasionally stories on here about someone who does 3 comps in March-April and then teams comps and matchplay from then on.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am talking about the yellow tees on both courses both of which have a slope of 124.

It did make me wonder if wind is taken in to consideration when setting the rating, although it is major factor on quite a few of holes maybe not as much as the whole of Burnham and Berrow.
It only makes sense if the Course Rating is available.
The Course Handicap will be different for the same player playing course A with CR of 70 and slope 124 and playing course B with a CR of 74 and a slope of 124.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
You will have to look to Canada and the USGA to provide a justification.
OK, I tried searching online for any such justification and all I could find was a document: "The USGA Handicap System". In there it does indeed state that matchplay scores should be returned for handicapping purposes. It explains how to work out the "most likely score" on a hole not completed (eg. after a putt is conceded or you pick up). It even explains how to work out what score to post on holes not played (ie. after a match ends early). But it all strikes me as a bit contrived, and I didn't see any explanation of why it's justified.

I can hazard a guess that perhaps the justification is to prevent people maintaining an artifically high handicap for use in matchplay - and in that respect I can see the point. But I'm not sure I'm convinced yet, considering how radically different the strategy is when playing matchplay. Would any of the rule experts here care to reveal their own personal view on this?

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are there changes to the active (competition) handicap measure?
Is it 3 qualifiers 12 months currently?
Occasionally stories on here about someone who does 3 comps in March-April and then teams comps and matchplay from then on.
Yes, there won't be any such thing under WHS.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It only makes sense if the Course Rating is available.
The Course Handicap will be different for the same player playing course A with CR of 70 and slope 124 and playing course B with a CR of 74 and a slope of 124.

please explain.

From other posts my understanding of one's course handicap is based upon

Course Handicap = Handicap Index * Slope / 113

There is no mention of the course rating in that formula.