Working out my rough h'cap off the WHS...

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where are you getting that from?
From the England Golf workshops I attended, at the back end of last year, on behalf of my club.
No competition status handicaps, but clubs will be able to stipulate the number of qualifiers played as part of competition entry criteria.

Visit site
Sorry I haven’t been on here for a while, but we have been so busy, Women’s World Cup, Men’s Cricket World Cup, The Ashes, both men and women, plus the Women’s and Men’s golf.

It’s raining where I live in Spain this morning and I have read the full 10 pages of this very important subject. Now living in Spain you would have thought that I would have some idea on how the system works, but unfortunately the golf society that I belong to keep to the old CONGU system, although I have made giant strides in the last two years in persuading our committee to move over to the EGA system.

As I understand it, ALL rounds of golf that you play count towards your last 20 rounds, so that quick 9 holes after work should technically be given to you club to input the data? The idea is that your h/c will be closer to how you are playing at the moment, and not because of some competition that you played exceeding well in six months ago. A friend of mine recently got cut from an h/c of 15.7 to 11.4 because of two superb rounds back to back. But now he is struggling to play anywhere near this new handicap.

I would also like to point out, that although you will have your new handicap it doesn’t mean that you will get the same amount of shots as you’re playing partners with similar handicaps. Let me explain!

The CONGU system has a cut-off point off .5. So as you all know a player with an h/c of 13.4 will play of a different h/c to a player of 13.5. However with the new system the point of where the handicap will change, will change from course to course depending on the slope and the handicap system. Some will change at say at 13.8 but the next change might be as close as 14.2. So players will have to check each time they play, and of course the slope changes from the different coloured tees.

Hope I haven’t confused anybody more than they are already, but I believe it’s a far better system than the old CONGU system which is now very antiquated.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
please explain.

From other posts my understanding of one's course handicap is based upon

Course Handicap = Handicap Index * Slope / 113

There is no mention of the course rating in that formula.
Yes, that's correct for your course handicap, but then there's yet another formula that includes the course rating before your score can be applied to your handicap record.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is not the number of rounds under par. You need to have 2 rounds both 4 of more under CSS then the amount of ESR is determined by the number of rounds between them.
Well, yeah, two of them were, lol. Actually I made an error, it was three rounds in a row under handicap, not three out of four. They were -6, -1 & -4 to CSS. Then got the ESR of -1.0. (y)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry I haven’t been on here for a while, but we have been so busy, Women’s World Cup, Men’s Cricket World Cup, The Ashes, both men and women, plus the Women’s and Men’s golf.

It’s raining where I live in Spain this morning and I have read the full 10 pages of this very important subject. Now living in Spain you would have thought that I would have some idea on how the system works, but unfortunately the golf society that I belong to keep to the old CONGU system, although I have made giant strides in the last two years in persuading our committee to move over to the EGA system.

As I understand it, ALL rounds of golf that you play count towards your last 20 rounds, so that quick 9 holes after work should technically be given to you club to input the data? The idea is that your h/c will be closer to how you are playing at the moment, and not because of some competition that you played exceeding well in six months ago. A friend of mine recently got cut from an h/c of 15.7 to 11.4 because of two superb rounds back to back. But now he is struggling to play anywhere near this new handicap.

I would also like to point out, that although you will have your new handicap it doesn’t mean that you will get the same amount of shots as you’re playing partners with similar handicaps. Let me explain!

The CONGU system has a cut-off point off .5. So as you all know a player with an h/c of 13.4 will play of a different h/c to a player of 13.5. However with the new system the point of where the handicap will change, will change from course to course depending on the slope and the handicap system. Some will change at say at 13.8 but the next change might be as close as 14.2. So players will have to check each time they play, and of course the slope changes from the different coloured tees.

Hope I haven’t confused anybody more than they are already, but I believe it’s a far better system than the old CONGU system which is now very antiquated.

When the WHS is introduced in the UK, the rounds that qualify will be the same as they are now, so if you do not specify before you go out to play the friendly round will not count.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, that's correct for your course handicap, but then there's yet another formula that includes the course rating before your score can be applied to your handicap record.

It is more about what happens when I play at another course that I was concerned with.

When we play Burnham and Berrow as an away match I originally thought I would be getting a course handicap higher than when I play at home. Years of playing there gives me the knowledge that it is much tougher course than my home course.

However as said both my course and there have the same slope rating off yellows.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the England Golf workshops I attended, at the back end of last year, on behalf of my club.
No competition status handicaps, but clubs will be able to stipulate the number of qualifiers played as part of competition entry criteria.

That is going to be tough to do for Opens then.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
please explain.

From other posts my understanding of one's course handicap is based upon

Course Handicap = Handicap Index * Slope / 113

There is no mention of the course rating in that formula.
Sorry, I oversimplified it. I shouldn't have said Course Handicap.

What I should have said is that the differential will differ by the difference in the two Course Ratings if the same gross score is achieved.
And it is the Score Differential that is important in handicapping.The Handicap Index is calculated from the lowest Score Differentials in the Scoring Record.

Last edited:

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is more about what happens when I play at another course that I was concerned with.

When we play Burnham and Berrow as an away match I originally thought I would be getting a course handicap higher than when I play at home. Years of playing there gives me the knowledge that it is much tougher course than my home course.

However as said both my course and there have the same slope rating off yellows.
Strange that 2 courses should get exactly the same the slope rating, especially when you personally think each of them represents a completely different challenge.
What about the other tees?
Might be worth taking up with your county rep?

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well, my club better do a decent job of rolling this out, as there's lots I don't get from reading this thread and other web articles :eek:
Agreed, I was expecting much more in the way of publicity, marketing and information material. Probably why they are so far behind. They promised posters for club noticeboards.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strange that 2 courses should get exactly the same the slope rating, especially when you personally think each of them represents a completely different challenge.
What about the other tees?
Might be worth taking up with your county rep?

Burnham and Berrow has several other tees and the whites are shown as a harder compared to our whites which is not unexpected because on most of our holes there is not a lot of yardage between whites and yellows.

Two different counties so probably two different teams doing the course assessment. Although our course is known as Yeovil the course itself is in Dorset.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I oversimplified it. I shouldn't have said Course Handicap.

What I should have said is that the differential will differ by the difference in the two Course Ratings if the same gross score is achieved.
And it is the Score Differential that is important in handicapping.The Handicap Index is calculated from the lowest Score Differentials in the Scoring Record.
Thanks - see post # 207. Most of my away days are matches.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

That just means that the RELATIVE difficulty between scratch and bogey players is the same for both courses.
You'll probably find that the course and bogey ratings are higher for Burnham & Berrow (which is what indicate its absolute difficulty), and it just so happens that the slope when they are plotted on a graph is the same as your home course.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just found out my course has been rated at 71.1 and 115. What does that mean if i play a course with a rating of say 113 or 120 , how would these examples change my playing handicap ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 71.1 (Course Rating) is the equivalent to the SSS.
The 115 (Slope) indicate that it is not significantly more difficult for the bogey player than the scratch player.
The higher the Slope the more difficult it is for the bogey player relative to the scratch player

Out of interest, what is your current SSS for those tees?

You should have a CR (SSS) and Slope for each colour of tees.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 71.1 (Course Rating) is the equivalent to the SSS.
The 115 (Slope) indicate that it is not significantly more difficult for the bogey player than the scratch player.
The higher the Slope the more difficult it is for the bogey player relative to the scratch player

Out of interest, what is your current SSS for those tees?

You should have a CR (SSS) and Slope for each colour of tees.
White = par 71 SSS 70 on the card, course rating as posted 71.1 and 115. Yellows par 69 SSS 68 not sure if they have been rated yet.
If i play a course with a higher rating will i receive extra strokes and less strokes at a lower rated course ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
White = par 71 SSS 70 on the card, course rating as posted 71.1 and 115. Yellows par 69 SSS 68 not sure if they have been rated yet.
If i play a course with a higher rating will i receive extra strokes and less strokes at a lower rated course ?
They would/should have been rated at the same time. Your SSS is now 71. Forget par, it has no relevance in rating.

Yes but it is slope that is used not rating.

Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope / 113)

Handicap Index is 'sort of' the same as current Exact Handicap but calculated differently. With WHS it may be 1 or 2 stroke above or below your current handicap.

You can find your ratings here. Just enter you club name, nothing else
https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/NCRListing.aspx

Last edited: