Wood burners?

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have one of these?

Just had one installed and was wondering if anyone had any tips on using them. Best wood to burn, tips on how to keep it burning for longer etc.

Just in time for the winter. Luuuuurvly

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have one in the kitchen, one in the lounge,Had them about 4 years now.Ash gets everywhere, and rooms need decorating every year!!!
the harder wood the better, though important to be left to season for a year after felling.
I have mastered the "overnight burn", ie its still going in the morning,time it so at bed time its almost out , fill it solid shut everything down and hope.
Are you collecting your own wood or buying it?

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have one in the kitchen, one in the lounge,Had them about 4 years now.Ash gets everywhere, and rooms need decorating every year!!!
the harder wood the better, though important to be left to season for a year after felling.
I have mastered the "overnight burn", ie its still going in the morning,time it so at bed time its almost out , fill it solid shut everything down and hope.
Are you collecting your own wood or buying it?

I've just bought some from a place not far from me. How do you find lighting it? What do you do?

Also I have 2 air intake vents at the top and one at the bottom. Which ones should be closed for best wood burning inefficiency?

Cheers

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I take it its got a proper flue?
for lighting i use a single bit of firelighter (easiest),sticks or small bits of wood, (my logs are dry and can light without sticks),
all vents open and door slightly ajar, this should increase the drawing effect.The air vents (in my case)are flame/heatcontrol at bottom, obviously open allows more air through so more fire, closed vents reduce air flow. The air vents on top are "airwash" which is supposed to keep the glass clear. Shut all vents to minimise fire, open bottom vents to rev it up.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Shouldn't these things be outlawed?

I thought we started burning cleaner fuels as the sky turned to smog in the 1800's?

Can you imagine what the sky would be like nowadays if 7 million Londoners all started using wood burning fires?

Of course if they had some kind of EFFECTIVE filter system in the chimney then that would be different. I think anyone that wants to burn wood should be TAXED to within an inch of their life :whistle:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Shouldn't these things be outlawed?

I thought we started burning cleaner fuels as the sky turned to smog in the 1800's?

Can you imagine what the sky would be like nowadays if 7 million Londoners all started using wood burning fires?

Of course if they had some kind of EFFECTIVE filter system in the chimney then that would be different. I think anyone that wants to burn wood should be TAXED to within an inch of their life :whistle:

James. You are slightly misguided on this issue. Wood-burners are pretty efficient these days and significantly more carbon-neutral/renewable than burning fossil fuels - coal being what they normally replace.

Most of the pollution in London is produced by vehicles these days - and it's invisible! In-flue filtering is only beneficial if it's selective and the filter is truly catalytic (only) or frequently renewed - as it tends to adversely affect the efficiency.

So up to a point - and that point (where wood for burning is not able to be produced as fast as it is being used) is quite far off apparently - wood burners should be encouraged - certainly as replacements for coal fires!

Here's a worthwile link: http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk...lled-heating?gclid=CNrag9Od_bICFeTHtAodQEMAZA

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i have been fitting loads of these for the past few years and always have to explain to the customer that they take a bit of extra work to use them,the ash has to be removed,the room does get dirty and dusty BUT the benefits outway the negatives ten fold,did one last year for my neighbour full system that runs his hot water and heating and the cost for running it last year (winter) £22 this was the cost of buying the first lot of fuel,he gets timber from the local timber yard (off cuts) for nothing as he knows the owner,get friendly with the greens keeper and get the logs from him,DONT burn anything that has been treated as the fumes can be toxic and the heat generated could damage the fire.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these.
Does anyone have any opinions about making paper briquettes to burn as my work disposes of thousands of cardboard cartons each year and I was thinking of making them into briquettes to burn if I get a wood burner.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these.
Does anyone have any opinions about making paper briquettes to burn as my work disposes of thousands of cardboard cartons each year and I was thinking of making them into briquettes to burn if I get a wood burner.
you can buy a machine to do it for you but you will have to add an additive to the pulp,there are plenty of solid fuel fires on the market try to get a british made one as most are cheap chinese models,swedish or french makes are also very good.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
My dealers in Scotland recommend burners should buy wood from the forestry commission. There are a few chainsaw dealers who are also tree surgeons/arborists and can supply enough timber to last you a year. Personally I think timer merchants are cottoning on to the increase in demand for timber and the prices are going up. I always carry a chainsaw in my car (Its my job ;o) ) and will often stop and recycle fallen trees or storn damage. The lithium ion battery saw is so quiet too lol

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
My dealers in Scotland recommend burners should buy wood from the forestry commission. There are a few chainsaw dealers who are also tree surgeons/arborists and can supply enough timber to last you a year. Personally I think timer merchants are cottoning on to the increase in demand for timber and the prices are going up. I always carry a chainsaw in my car (Its my job ;o) ) and will often stop and recycle fallen trees or storn damage. The lithium ion battery saw is so quiet too lol

Naw......thats no a wee sales pitch there Andy boy.

harvey4banger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I looked into getting one, but was put off by flu pipe which you need to put all the way to the top of your chimney, sounded a little bit on the expensive side

harvey4banger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My house is 30- 40 years old, certainly not up to latest building regs, so i'm not insured?

Be worth a check. Friend of mine's a builder, he told me about the building regs for wood burners about a year ago, apparently they a very strict now because there has been so many chimney fires.

Put me off must admit

PPE

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have one of these?

Just had one installed and was wondering if anyone had any tips on using them. Best wood to burn, tips on how to keep it burning for longer etc.

Just in time for the winter. Luuuuurvly

I have a multi-fuel burner as I live in a converted barn and no mains gas (propane tanks).

My burner cost me £3k which included a flue up through the bedroom (which also acts as a big radiator!), the burner and installation. Have to say it was money VERY well spent and I would highly recommend one. For example I had put a bit much coal on one winters day and it was that hot that I had to open the windows in my lounge.......it was -10c outside!

I start my fire with a few lighters (99p from Aldi) and put a bed of coal on top, on top of this I put 5/6 pieces of kindling, the kindling catches fire from the lighters and as they burn they ignite the coal, this will get the heat into the room, I then keep this going (and overnight with Homefire Ovals, these are compressed smokeless coal pieces).

Best money I've spent as propane tanks are not cheap!