Women's Open...

D

Deleted member 15344

Ladies tennis only gets good coverage at the majors and the reality is they piggy back on the men's game. The rest of the time it is hidden away as people simply don't watch them in any numbers. It's down to viewing figures at the end of the day.

All the Ladies ATP events are televised live on BT Sport every week and the bigger ones Masters etc

Then the majors - full live coverage

No LPGA events beyond a major get live telly and even then we don’t really see much of the majors beyond the British Open - the LET struggle for sponsers and Money and now events - the Ladies Tennis has a full schedule with plenty of sponsers and prize money in its own right.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
All the Ladies ATP events are televised live on BT Sport every week and the bigger ones Masters etc

No LPGA events beyond a major get live telly and even then we don’t really see much of the majors beyond the British Open - the LET struggle for sponsers and Money and now events - the Ladies Tennis has a full schedule with plenty of sponsers and prize money in its own right.

Agreed the ladies tennis certainly gets more coverage, but it’s still seen by very few people as it’s on a subscription package as an after thought. I doubt many people get bt for the tennis.

Financially id be surprised if the wta has a stronger footing than the lpga.

edit.

Just did did a little google and it appears that top female tennis and golfers earn similar amounts, apart from the major winners in tennis who get a nice 2/3m boost courtesy of the men.

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed the ladies tennis certainly gets more coverage, but it’s still seen by very few people as it’s on a subscription package as an after thought. I doubt many people get bt for the tennis.

Think you'll find they get event sponsors on the back of the coverage...
LET, seemingly, can't get either...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

The wta is the main tour for female tennis isn’t it. Just like the lpga is the main for women’s golf. Comparing like for like they have similar financial muscle when not being subsidised by the men.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nearly all of the ladies tour events have a fair amount of coverage on BT...
And, there's plenty of them... Events that is...

Unlike ladies golf which gets relatively little coverage on any platform... That I am aware of..
Not even sure the LET have a full calendar anymore...

Oh... And they've just introduced the 'shot clock' to speed up play...

Fair play. I didn't realise as I don't subscribe to BT, don't know anyone who does. I don't hear about the events so they don't reach my notice. Equally, I don't look out for them either so maybe stuff is out there and I just don't pick up on it.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I suspect the Ladies British Open will be bought under the R&A next year as Ricoh are not sponsoring it again. If they can manage it the sponsors of the Open & Seniors Open could also cover the event.

LET is another question entirely - maybe needs to merge with the European Tour and run some parallel events to attract more sponsors.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Don't know what ladies golf you watch but last year and so far this year all of the ladies majors were screened live on sky as was the Solheim Cup. In addition some other LPGA and the odd LET events.

D

Deleted member 15344

edit.

Just did did a little google and it appears that top female tennis and golfers earn similar amounts, apart from the major winners in tennis who get a nice 2/3m boost courtesy of the men.

The Miami Open for example has a prize fund double that of the British Open - so not even a major tennis event but has considerable more money than a golf major mainly down to a big sponser

Guess how many golfers there are in the top ten female earners - none , Tennis players - 8

Ko I believe is the highest golfer and her prize money plus endorsements is around £5 mil

Ladies Tennis is far more lucrative and popular than Ladies golf by a clear margin I would suggest

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't know what ladies golf you watch but last year and so far this year all of the ladies majors were screened live on sky as was the Solheim Cup. In addition some other LPGA and the odd LET events.

The Ladies majors were mainly shown on a red button until after the men’s Comp had finished late at night then went into the Ladies Major - I can’t recall any regular LET event being shown live and certainly not many if any LPGA events beyond the majors live - because the men’s events go on at the same time

The British Open is the only event not including the Solheim which is priotised over the Male event at the time.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The Miami Open for example has a prize fund double that of the British Open - so not even a major tennis event but has considerable more money than a golf major mainly down to a big sponser

Guess how many golfers there are in the top ten female earners - none , Tennis players - 8

Ko I believe is the highest golfer and her prize money plus endorsements is around £5 mil

Ladies Tennis is far more lucrative and popular than Ladies golf by a clear margin I would suggest

Yes tennis monopolises the female sports domain, but imo that’s down the one thing. Good coverage of the majors.

They get that simply due to due to the fact that the men’s game holds it up.

If mens and womens tennis majors were played at separate times, and marketed separately, then things would drop off.

I cant see any mixed events taking off for golf, but I can see, as a stand alone sport the lpga becoming more successful.

Also, without trying to be too crass, I’m sure Sharapova can earn more than Lydia Ko from off field sponsored irrespective of their supposed talents.....

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Ladies majors were mainly shown on a red button until after the men’s Comp had finished late at night then went into the Ladies Major - I can’t recall any regular LET event being shown live and certainly not many if any LPGA events beyond the majors live - because the men’s events go on at the same time

The British Open is the only event not including the Solheim which is priotised over the Male event at the time.

I must have a special TV then because I was watching live ladies golf on sky mix at the normal time and then live on sky golf.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt many people get bt for the tennis.

I get it for the MotoGP...

So, any other sports they throw in with their package are a bonus...
Can see watching sport, on the box, getting really expensive as more and more platforms enter the arena...

Sadly, for whatever reasons women's golf doesn't seem to be on anyone's shopping list...

Visit site
MegaSteve, I would get BT for the Moto GP, but I catch up with it on a Monday evening.
I have enough on watching World Superbikes AND British Superbikes AND Golf on a Sunday!
The bikes are just a tad more exciting than the golf.....(understatement), don't you agree?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
MegaSteve, I would get BT for the Moto GP, but I catch up with it on a Monday evening.
I have enough on watching World Superbikes AND British Superbikes AND Golf on a Sunday!
The bikes are just a tad more exciting than the golf.....(understatement), don't you agree?

My boomerang boy picks up the tab [allegedly] for BT sport in his rent [pittance]…
I like the bikes him more so... He gets to quite a few of the continental races...

Love watching any sport when it's neck and neck...
As the women's open was until Ms Phatlum had her mini meltdown...

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good news... I suppose...

However, not sure how many subscription channels I'd be willing to sign up to...
And, if it'll be mostly evening viewing not so sure I'd get the right permissions from my better half...

No I wouldn't be willing to sign up to lots of different services but at least they seem to be showing some commitment to golf in general.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely How many subscriptions do you need to watch TV? It's simply diluting coverage too much and I'd find it off putting to keep signing up to watch different events

I agree homer, will be interested to see if they try pick up more golf down the line. If its a sport they are going to commit to then in the future it might be worth the £5.99 a month. Only time will tell, i certainly don't want to pay for multiple services and don't want to pay the £18 sky want but this might bring their prices down.