Women's Open...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Gutted I didn’t back her. Family bits had me busy all week. Been on her all the shore since last years open as she looked quality. Plus it seemed that she derived the plaudits based on her golfing ability, not her follower count.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done Georgia! Impressive show on the last day.

Some excellent golf over the 4 days.

On a lighter note; are the women all very tiny people - or are the scorecards they carry, all the size of a small coofee table?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Certainly good to see Hall win and she looked in great control of her game yesterday, even though she didn't have a lead until well into the back 9.

Would be good if she, and Charley Hull, could become proper celebrities in Britain and really help to get more girls into the game.

I'm sure it would help the finances massively at a lot of clubs to have a few extra ladies playing.

Golf is seen as a family participation event in other countries, with par 3 layouts, 9 hole courses and maybe 5 tee areas available at the full layouts.

In the UK, it seems still very much a sport for the men to get away for a few hours.

D

Deleted member 15344

Certainly good to see Hall win and she looked in great control of her game yesterday, even though she didn't have a lead until well into the back 9.

Would be good if she, and Charley Hull, could become proper celebrities in Britain and really help to get more girls into the game.

I'm sure it would help the finances massively at a lot of clubs to have a few extra ladies playing.

Golf is seen as a family participation event in other countries, with par 3 layouts, 9 hole courses and maybe 5 tee areas available at the full layouts.

In the UK, it seems still very much a sport for the men to get away for a few hours.

It’s a major winner for the UK and it looks like the majority on here dont really care or are that bothered , people on Twitter were even suggesting it should be put onto the red button so that people could watch the WGC

It’s a brilliant achievement but it shows how little the game is thought off outside golf and even worse the ladies game even with golfers

Such a shame a superb golfers won’t get the country wide plaudits her performance deserves

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s a major winner for the UK and it looks like the majority on here dont really care or are that bothered , people on Twitter were even suggesting it should be put onto the red button so that people could watch the WGC

It’s a brilliant achievement but it shows how little the game is thought off outside golf and even worse the ladies game even with golfers

Such a shame a superb golfers won’t get the country wide plaudits her performance deserves

Golf has definitely suffered in terms of interest levels.

The time to watch the sport probably the biggest factor as football seems to dominate TV schedules with dozens of matches on over a weekend.

Additionally the move away from terrestrial TV has probably been a big factor. Even major winning golfers are barely a factor in Sports Personality of the Year. Rory was only second the year he won 2 majors and was a big part of the Ryder Cup team at Gleneagles.

So Hall will do well to get nominated - she will especially with the revised format - but in the old format possibly not.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great golf and large crowds has helped the ladies game. last year only 7000 visited kings barn the whole week,while at lytham they had that on Thursday alone ( over 50,000 in total ) However I still worry for the future despite being a British likeable winner.

for example the ladies who missed the cut only got £700 each and there is no sponsor for the open next year yet either!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’m not sure women’s golf is that poorly supported. Compared to mens yes, but compared to others ladies sport it still gets more coverage than most.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I find ladies golf a much more attractive watch than it was 20 yrs ago. The dedication and drive of the S Koreans, Thais and Japanese seems to have instilled a new mentality and approach to the game in Europeans and Americans that makes the game a much better watch. Also the athleticism of (some of) the girls means that their game looks closer to the men's game than it did in the past - indeed the way the girls play the game is something I feel I can aspire towards. Though I know I'll never be as good as these players - their game is on a different planet to mine - I feel closer to them than to the men's game which is a completely different universe.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The value of the pound aint exactly putting the 'Great' in Great Britain these last few years.

I think Wimbledon also paid in US$ this year.
Unless I’ve missed something, our currency is the British Pound and they were playing the British Open.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The issue is very simple. Until something drastic happens and ladies golf gets a boost in terms of media coverage, it'll remain a minority sport in Europe and has to be a contributory factor as to why the LET cannot attract sponsors and put on more events. What would the sponsors get out in terms of promotion and coverage.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The issue is very simple. Until something drastic happens and ladies golf gets a boost in terms of media coverage, it'll remain a minority sport in Europe and has to be a contributory factor as to why the LET cannot attract sponsors and put on more events. What would the sponsors get out in terms of promotion and coverage.

Agreed but even the mens game sometimes gets the wrong coverage. For example- listening to a report on Local radio during The Mens Open, they concentrated on Tiger Woods being 5 under whilst at the same time Tommy Fleetwood was 6 under! I was so annoyed and thought, what about our British guy! Fleetwood was just ignored.

I think that after Georgia Halls fantastic win things just might change. I thoroughly enjoyed watching how Georgia played out her round with such maturity and how unflappable she was even when Phatlum had the upper hand. She just kept her nerve so well and got the job done. Richly deserved!

Love watching the Womens game, in fact I enjoyed it more than the mens Open.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But still miles behind ladies tennis...

Ladies tennis only gets good coverage at the majors and the reality is they piggy back on the men's game. The rest of the time it is hidden away as people simply don't watch them in any numbers. It's down to viewing figures at the end of the day.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ladies tennis only gets good coverage at the majors and the reality is they piggy back on the men's game. The rest of the time it is hidden away as people simply don't watch them in any numbers. It's down to viewing figures at the end of the day.

Nearly all of the ladies tour events have a fair amount of coverage on BT...
And, there's plenty of them... Events that is...

Unlike ladies golf which gets relatively little coverage on any platform... That I am aware of..
Not even sure the LET have a full calendar anymore...

Oh... And they've just introduced the 'shot clock' to speed up play...

Last edited: