Women's Open...

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weather not so good today... Like watching the top ladies playing the game... Feel I/we can learn a lot more from them than top blokes particularly course management...

And, yes it is Mike Dean carrying one of the bags...

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I haven't watch any from yesterday but will hopefully catch some highlights tonight.

Liked the on the range segment with the ladies on Wednesday (as I do with the men) - Charley seemed to be able to send the chipper out a decent distance on the range!

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was better here today than yesterday. I took our granddaughter to watch some of the practice rounds on Wednesday and am taking her again tomorrow and possibly Sunday.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seemed to be more spectators, in attendance, than I can recollect there were at Kingsbarns last year...

Have never been to one before and don't have Sky so can't compare. Our club has the 18th to marshall but work got in the way for me and HID.

Visit site
I have just returned from a fantastic and memorabnle day out at Lytham. These ladies are well worth watching, really using their course management to their maximum ability.
We watched young Cloe Frankish right through to the last hole. She was on the cut mark, and must have been feeling the pressure.
For a 19 year old she handled it magnificently, and we wish her well for the final two days......she made the cut on plus 1! Her Mother and her Aunt haven't many fingernails left!
I would recommend a visit to Lytham to anyone.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been lucky enough to marshal the 8th holes and watched really close up how good the players are.

The tee shot is quite tough/narrow on our hole with trees on the right and bunkers/rough to the left and pretty much all of them smash it down the middle, despite the wind trying to pull the ball into trouble !

I really have enjoyed watching this tournament even more than the men’s due to the smaller crowds. Also with the ladies having a slower swing and better course management you can actually learn a thing or two ( especially the short game).

Was very lucky to start my shift on Thursday on the green just as Parker got her hole in one on the 9th ( you can see 9th really well from the top ). Hopefully the sun will come out the next two days and I will witness more great golf.

if you have a spare time and are local this weekend I would recommend coming down to watch!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'd agree it's a good watch and easier for the smaller crowds. It also has much more relevance to male handicap golfers than watching Dustin, Rory, Justin et al bomb it all over the place.

However the best bit at the moment is watching it whilst listening to Dame Laura Davies' commentary. Insightful, hilarious and I'm guessing no love lost between her & Christie Kerr :rofl:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Enjoyed watching some of it, definite much more similar to my game than the WGC that is on.

Where would the top women relate in terms of the mens game? I have watched Rick Shields and Peter Finch play at St Annes, and never seen them break par, so lot of these women, under much more pressure are shooting better scores.

Maybe some of these women would clean up on the men's challenge tour?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd agree it's a good watch and easier for the smaller crowds. It also has much more relevance to male handicap golfers than watching Dustin, Rory, Justin et al bomb it all over the place.

However the best bit at the moment is watching it whilst listening to Dame Laura Davies' commentary. Insightful, hilarious and I'm guessing no love lost between her & Christie Kerr :rofl:

Believe Sky should be employing Dame Laura to commentate on the men's game she is brilliant...

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Enjoyed watching some of it, definite much more similar to my game than the WGC that is on.

Where would the top women relate in terms of the mens game? I have watched Rick Shields and Peter Finch play at St Annes, and never seen them break par, so lot of these women, under much more pressure are shooting better scores.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that the men's tees will be 50 yards further back.

What is really impressive is the putting, which is consistently of a high standard.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

No. They really wouldn't.

Not that they're not great golfers, and this open looks like it'll be a compelling finish. They just don't hit it far enough or high enough.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The top ladies are superb, no question and they'd annihilate most (all) of us

But they are the very best of a relatively small talent pool. The mens talent pool is much much deeper.

One thing I have noticed though is the ladies' short game seems to be improving year on year. Could never understand why it's so relatively poor (apart from the above)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a shame this hasn’t got more attention given that Georgia Hall is in the Final group.
looks to be sizeable crowds at Lytham today, I just hope she can seal it..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thoroughly enjoy watching the womens golf. However some of them are so slow, and caddies still lining up putts. Also, whats with the number of adverts their carrying? Way to many.