WITB and what's on the horizon?

Visit site
Original M1. 10.5, standard settings
TM 14 degree hybrid
TM 790 2 Iron
Original first run of Wilson’s FG Tour irons 3 - PW from around 2010
VOKEY 50 and 60
White hot No5 centre shafted mallet from probably 2005.

Looking to go for Wilson Staff players Irons or Ping Blueprint shortly.

Maybe even Ping G410 LST driver is on the cards.

Love living in Australia. But trying to get your hands on gear that is already freely available in golf shops back in the UK is a right royal pain in the ass...

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As Per signature.

I'm looking into moving into new wedges at 50, 54, 58/60 as I'm currently awkwardly gapped between PW (46) and 52, and have a fair few shots at a distance where a 50 is required.

I'm also looking into a new putter, probably a Scotty, Bettinardi or the new Oddysey StrokeLab.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMG-0798.jpg

My WiTB - as per the signature. On the horizon is a new putter. Gone back to the Odyssey temporarily as I wanted to go back to a blade after struggling with distance control with my Futura X5. Got my eye on a Scotty Newport on eBay, we'll see how the auction pans out.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 2

AdamC28

Visit site
My WiTB - as per the signature. On the horizon is a new putter. Gone back to the Odyssey temporarily as I wanted to go back to a blade after struggling with distance control with my Futura X5. Got my eye on a Scotty Newport on eBay, we'll see how the auction pans out.

Nice towel!
Interested to hear your thoughts on the Hi Fli?
For some reason I just don’t get on too well with hybrids and thought about trying a Hi Fli.
How’s the forgiveness?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice towel!
Interested to hear your thoughts on the Hi Fli?
For some reason I just don’t get on too well with hybrids and thought about trying a Hi Fli.
How’s the forgiveness?

Thanks!
Enjoying the Hi Fli so far. Got a fair bit of club behind the ball so have found it pretty forgiving so far and get some real decent distance out of it which is making the shorter par 4s at my course an iron and a wedge with little fear of getting into major trouble. Would definitely recommend giving one a go.

Further to my above post - I've found my new putter after a couple of weeks of searching. Picked up a brand new Odyssey Toulon San Diego from eBay for £200, so so pretty. Looking forward to getting it into the bag, and with club champs and 3rd round of the singles KO next weekend I'm hoping it'll have arrived ready to role plenty of putts in!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks!
Enjoying the Hi Fli so far. Got a fair bit of club behind the ball so have found it pretty forgiving so far and get some real decent distance out of it which is making the shorter par 4s at my course an iron and a wedge with little fear of getting into major trouble. Would definitely recommend giving one a go.

Further to my above post - I've found my new putter after a couple of weeks of searching. Picked up a brand new Odyssey Toulon San Diego from eBay for £200, so so pretty. Looking forward to getting it into the bag, and with club champs and 3rd round of the singles KO next weekend I'm hoping it'll have arrived ready to role plenty of putts in!
hows it off the fairway??

i found it was OK off a tee, but the wide sole just put me off and struggled with it off the deck.... this thing is far easier for me;)2 iron 2.jpg

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really used it off the fairway yet tbh, but seem to hit it alright at the range off the deck so seems pretty forgiving. Only been in the back for 3 rounds so still pretty early days.

That is a beaut!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since I last posted in this thread I've resolved to go and get custom fit for irons from Orka in September, so looking forward to that. Not been custom fit for clubs before, other than the putter, so hopefully it makes the difference everyone says it does. :p

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not really used it off the fairway yet tbh, but seem to hit it alright at the range off the deck so seems pretty forgiving. Only been in the back for 3 rounds so still pretty early days.

That is a beaut!
only goes about 190 carry at most with a very very low flight, but runs at least another 50 yards.

2004 MP33 ex tour van, 19 deg the 2 irons were in those days, this set was sold 1-PW and came with DGS400 shaft

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've spent a bit of money sorting out my bag this year. Considered purchases / gifts etc.

Old Tom Driver (new company, great value stuff) £130
Ping G400 hybrid £160 (store demo)
Ping Dale Anser Putter £245 (full price, big indulgence)
Vokey SM7 gap wedge and sand wedge £270 (again, indulgence)

Retained my Cleveland Classic 3 wood, Taylor Made Burner + irons and Cleveland lob wedge.

Also filtered some stuff down to a second bag and bought a used Cleveland 3 wood and ex demo Old Tom so I pretty much have 2 sets - one in locker one at home.

Next on the horizon is possibly the irons. Really don't feel inclined to spend much on this and it would be a case of getting new stuff for the sake of it.
I'd possibly like a set of Mizuno Hot Metals - but more likely to buy used.
Also will start watching out for another Ping Dale Anser putter through the winter for the 2nd bag.

However in reality, should really go a year or so without spending anything on equipment.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
only goes about 190 carry at most with a very very low flight, but runs at least another 50 yards.

2004 MP33 ex tour van, 19 deg the 2 irons were in those days, this set was sold 1-PW and came with DGS400 shaft

Very nice. The MP33s were gorgeous clubs. My next purchase will be a new set of irons - likely some sort of combo set I'd have thought, will likely get fitted at the end of the year but would love a Mizuno combo set, the feel off the face of my 2 iron is unreal when you button it.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As Per signature.

I'm looking into moving into new wedges at 50, 54, 58/60 as I'm currently awkwardly gapped between PW (46) and 52, and have a fair few shots at a distance where a 50 is required.

I'm also looking into a new putter, probably a Scotty, Bettinardi or the new Oddysey StrokeLab.

I did this with the wedges. Part of the reason for a big investment. I had just accumulated clubs over the years with gifts or one off purchases, so ended up with a 52, 54 and 60 - all different models, 2 cleveland and 1 vokey.

Replaced gap and sand with 50 and 54 with vokeys. 50 is for hitting off fairway. 54 is a grind for using around the green. Think it has a slight cut down sole for slipping under the ball. Very happy with it. Downside is - not great with bunkers. So now exclusively use my 60 out of bunkers and am getting great results.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hahaha who the hell has ever done that?? :ROFLMAO:

In fairness, I hadn't played much since 2014 and don't think I'd really bought anything since 2013 apart from a Driver which was not suitable so a bit of investment was overdue.

I'm generally not a big club changer and the likes of the woods and putter will likely stay in the bag for years.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In fairness, I hadn't played much since 2014 and don't think I'd really bought anything since 2013 apart from a Driver which was not suitable so a bit of investment was overdue.

I'm generally not a big club changer and the likes of the woods and putter will likely stay in the bag for years.
Yeah I keep telling myself that as well.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking at an entire overhaul of the bag and was thinking:

GBB Epic Flash Driver
GBB Epic Flash 3W
Apex 19 18º Hybrid
Ping G410 X over 4
Ping i500 5-W
Titleist SM7 50º/54º/58º
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 (I'll still keep the Queen Bee but I fancy a change)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My bag changes from week to week, I don't want to clog the whole thread up so here are the irons from the last 5 sets I played:
  • Hickory - Mashie (1930s)
  • George Nicoll, Henry Cotton - 5 iron (Late 1950s or early 1960s)
  • Slazenger, Jack Nicklaus $1m - 5 iron (Late 1960s)
  • Dunlop Maxfli, Roberto de Vicenzo - 5 iron (1960s)
  • Slazenger, Plus International - 5 iron (1960s)
No idea what the next acquisitions will be but there are certain to be some.

1561223552972.png

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
After today I could easily replace the whole bloody bag. Got my eye on a couple of graphite sets on Golfbidder as I do think that is the way forward for me, based on nothing more than a hunch. Reckon if I get them the re-sale wouldn't mean a big loss on them either.