Winter wheels?

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Am I missing something?

The courses I’m likely to play on over the next couple of months all say that “winter wheels are required” on carts.

So far, both of the carts I’ve looked at seem to have winter wheels available as an option (Motocaddy Cube and Clicgear 3.5+). Are these not usable through winter?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We’ve just had a winter wheel rule invoke at our place. With the ground being wet and soft normally wheels spin and tear the grass fibres. Winter wheels are designed to give more traction on less service area, saving the courses.

To be honest, before our club brought in the rule I’ve used them for the better traction anyway.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Oh and it sounds like you’re going non electric now that I’ve reread it. Our course allows non electric without winter wheels but most just blanket rule the issue. If you’re getting a new one, buy one with the option or can use hedgehog tracks.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Most trolleys will come with “slicks” which are fine in the dry, but when it is really muddy, they do a great job of spreading the mud and it doesn’t do the grass much good.

You can buy winter wheels, which are Designed not to spread the mud, a common type is a hedgehog, they clip on and off in seconds.

Alternatively you can get hedgehogs on a thick rubber band that goes over your slick wheels and held in place with cable ties.

Some courses insist on them, others not

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Am I missing something?

The courses I’m likely to play on over the next couple of months all say that “winter wheels are required” on carts.

So far, both of the carts I’ve looked at seem to have winter wheels available as an option (Motocaddy Cube and Clicgear 3.5+). Are these not usable through winter?
It's winter golf - use a half set in a carry bag (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You're well north of my New England home but get much less snow and can play golf in the winter--with winter wheels on the trolley.

All I can do is talk about golf on the internet.

Nobody said life is fair, I guess.
you prob get a summer though some places here you can't tell if its summer or winter most of the time:ROFLMAO:

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Thanks for hedgehogs tip. I hadn’t heard of those, and it seems most push carts (at least those I’ve looked at) don’t have winter wheel options.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't get the drive for Hedghog wheels. I get they dont spin like slicks, but I would suggest my pneumatic treaded tyres grip better than slicks and hedghogs on all fronts, and dont cause the visual damage hogs do with those punched holes everywhere. Green staff have equipment with the same tread patterns as my trolley wheels......that to me says everything.:)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The only times I've seen my trolley wheels slip is in extreme wet or icy conditions
If it's that wet or icy - ban trolleys
Simples....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At my club, it makes no difference. A trolley ban is a trolley ban, there is no allowance made for winter wheels of any kind. Waste of money.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our club do not insist on hedgehog wheels in wet conditions as our greenkeeper believes the normal ones don't do any more/less damage than the hedgehog version. I've said it before but I find it strange BIGGA and or the R&A have yet to produce any concrete evidence one way or another on this subject