Winter rules

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
When do they start at your place,do they have them in place at the start of October or are they weather driven ,I ask as being a taxi driver I picked a bunch of golfers and they were talking about one of the players in their competition yesterday was picking and placing because he said winter rules apply from Oct 1st.
So is there a date that winter rules apply or is it down to individual courses to apply them as and when they see fit.

D

Deleted member 16999

We’ve gone to preferred lies from today, teeing up and every comp non-qualifiers will be weather dependent, normally no later than mid nov.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours happens after the captain 'drives out'. This year that is Oct 26th. They are all non qualifiers then until the drive in, around the beginning of April.

Just seen the post by Yant and I'm now wondering if that is our system as well, I just didn't realise 🤔.

YandaB

Visit site
Purely based on the weather, we get pick, clean and place on fairways, qualifiers continue through the winter. Ours started on 1st October until further notice, could mean that an Indian summer might see them revoked but more likely to remain in place until spring.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Started this week.
However not sure if it is a date or weather driven criteria.
Looking forward to winter tees and fairway mats, freezing weather, soggy conditions, losing your ball under leaves.
Aaaghh winter golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ours happens after the captain 'drives out'. This year that is Oct 26th. They are all non qualifiers then until the drive in, around the beginning of April.

Just seen the post by Yant and I'm now wondering if that is our system as well, I just didn't realise 🤔.

Why do they become non q because of winter rules ?
No such thing as winter "rules" is there?

Can a club just choose to make individual comps non-qualifiers?

Yep Winter Rules is pretty much preferred lies , because of the drought etc we have been on them most of the year so far

And a club can’t “choose” to make a Comp Non Q - it can become Non Q if it doesn’t meet the requirements

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everything goes non-quali at our place when the winter tees go out.

Mats on one course, preferred lies on the other. Winter tees not out yet but won't be long, final qualifier of the year for us tomorrow.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I understand it, you'd need permission from the County to implement 'preferred lies' before 1st Oct.
Clubs will decide on an individual basis when conditions dictate..... Q Comps can continue.
I think we will move to PL this weekend.
We usually go to 'exceptional winter Rules' early Nov when it becomes difficult to continue defining the fairways.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do they become non q because of winter rules ?
I don't know is the simple answer, I just know it happens. I haven't really thought about why. The white, medal, tees are taken off but we run comps off yellows anyway so that is not it. We certainly go on to preferred lies, is that enough to cause it?

I quite like it to be honest. It's a chance to practise parts of my game out on the course without the threat of a handicap increase. It's a free hit in effect, no tension.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
We went to preferred lies last weekend.

Full tees and green though, so all comps still Q and will be right the way through.

If the course is that bad as to have to run a comp in awful conditions it just gets shut.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They should not make a decision before play, it is why the variable CSS came in to being to stop clubs making all winter comps non qualifiers.

Something like all the bunkers are to be treated as GUR, more than two temp greens will make a comp non qualifying anyway.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the CONGU manual

• • Preferred Lies: Each Union/Association has discretion to adopt a preferred lie period within its jurisdiction.
At our club we operate within the County guidelines which is 1st October (ends 30th April) but when it starts will depend upon the course conditions.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Rules of Golf say:
When such conditions are widespread on the course, the Committee can choose to adopt a Local Rule for “preferred lies” (also known as “winter rules”) to allow fair play or help protect the fairway. Such a Local Rule should be withdrawn as soon as conditions allow.

CONGU says:
Preferred Lies: Each Union/Association has discretion to adopt a preferred lie period within its jurisdiction.
The adoption of preferred lies, can allow Qualifying Competitions to be conducted under acceptable playing conditions. Clubs should, whenever practicable, play competitions as Qualifying Competitions during the preferred lie period. Reference should be made to Decisions 1(a) and 1(b) that have been formulated to promote and encourage Qualifying Competitions in the preferred lie period. When the club determines that conditions warrant the implementation of preferred lies within the preferred lie period, refer to Model Local Rule E-3 of the Committee Procedures.
When preferred lies are in operation the following points shall be taken into consideration:
15.1 Each Union shall give directions to its Affiliated Clubs defining the period during which preferred lies may be used, if required. Competition Play Conditions will apply notwithstanding the application of a Local Rule for preferred lies as a result of adverse conditions during this period (See Clause 15.3 below). The Local Rule may apply to specified holes only.
15.2 Outside the period specified in 15.1 Competition Play Conditions will only apply when preferred lies are in operation if the consent of the Union or Area Authority has been obtained. England and Ireland delegate the granting of consent for preferred lies outside the specified period to their Area Authorities. Scotland and Wales make no delegation under this clause.
15.3 It is emphasised that preferred lies must apply only when a Local Rule has been made and published in accordance with Model Local Rule E-3 of the Committee Procedures as follows:
“When a player’s ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less [or identify a specific area such as ‘on the fairway of the 6th hole’],the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area:

England Golf says:

The England Golf Preferred Lies period runs from 1 October 2019 until 30 April 2020. England Golf will not be issuing a national extension beyond 30 April 2020. However, counties can provide local guidance on any extensions up to Friday 31 May 2020, and clubs should be asked to consider the need for Preferred Lies on a weekly basis.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No such thing as winter "rules" is there?

No. It is against the spirit and intent of the system to adjust the Terms of Competition deliberately, so that it is rendered non-qualifying on a technicality. Unions have a duty to ensure that Affiliated Clubs discharge their responsibilities in full. Sanctions may be taken against any party that does not observe either the spirit or intent of the system.