Local Rules for Competitions

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are at that time of year when course conditions require local rules to be implemented to deal with various weather-related conditions.

It has always been my understanding that local rules can be applied by the course management, and these will apply to all players using the course.

However, it is also possible for a Competition Committee to apply local rules for their competition only. I believe this is covered in the Committee Procedures Section 5.

This has been queried by one of our sections relating to taking certain bunkers out of play due to storm damage. Thier logic being that if the course management leave them in play, they shouldn't be able to take them out of play and retain the competition as being valid for handicap purposes.

I don't believe this interpretation is correct but would be interested in other views.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree that it is not correct. The Committee in charge of the competition have the authority and responsibility to set the Local Rules for their competition. We usually start our Notice to Competitors with "the Local Rules on the club scorecard and/or posted in the club are NOT in effect for this competition." Then we list the Local Rules which are in effect.

Ian_George

Visit site
If they also include GP rounds counting for handicap as per comp ones, then casual round players can decide amongst themselves whether to do likewise or not, as those scores 'don't matter'.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
While agreeing to an extent with rulie, I'd suggest it would not be acceptable to go the opposite way from what you mention. That's to say to permit players to play from bunkers that the club Committee had taken out of play. Another no-no would be to set aside a club LR making use of a fairway mat mandatory. Adding to care for the course is one thing; taking away from it is another.

Also, you might want to check in case your club has, as mine does, a stated policy that all competitions are played under the governance of its Competitions Committee.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
While agreeing to an extent with rulie, I'd suggest it would not be acceptable to go the opposite way from what you mention. That's to say to permit players to play from bunkers that the club Committee had taken out of play. Another no-no would be to set aside a club LR making use of a fairway mat mandatory. Adding to care for the course is one thing; taking away from it is another.

Also, you might want to check in case your club has, as mine does, a stated policy that all competitions are played under the governance of its Competitions Committee.
I agree that the "opposite" impact of a rule nullifying an existing LR would be wrong (or an exceptional circumstance). The Hard Card does this for elite comps but I accept this is not the norm.